Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Old Commodore 64... A True Diamond...

Options
  • 05-07-2001 3:33am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Oh come on...

If you were born anywhere near the eighties you would have at least heard of it...

Commodore knocked the socks off Spectrum in quite a lot of ways, yet the games on both systems were the most addictive you could find...

Right all you old buffs...

Start posting your C64 classics please...

It's about time I relived a few good old memories biggrin.gif

Kane, Impossible Mission 1&2, Renegade, Jet Set Willy, Phantom Of The Asteroids - That series that involved the knight... It was a sort of RPG... Always had a Wand Of Command in it... Can't remember off hand what they were called in general but I spent hours playing all in the series I had...

Also, try the "Dizzy" collection... Classic's...

I have a box in the attic containing a couple of hundred games, and cartridges... Ah yes, Shadow Of The beast 3 was a scary one...

Come on lads... Get naming!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Head over Heals wahey!!!! Mind you i had a blast from the past with my old speccy+2 last year and though it was fun i have to admit nostalgia definately wears rose tinted glasses....

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Ah yes.......those 80's Games. We had a ZX Spectrum back in those days. Their was always a friendly rivalry between C64 people and the Spectrum Folk, not like the cold blooded affairs of today. Usually a game came came out on ALL Formats. Games I remember are the likes of Jet Pac, Elite, Jet Set Willy, and all the Ultimate Games Like Saberwulf and Head over Heels. Classic Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Choplifter, Fort Apocalypse, Manic Miner, Blagger, Elite, Boulderdash (All of them), Last Ninja 1 and 2 (Didnt play 3), Driller (First filled 3d graphics in a game, amazing soundtrack), Wizball, Parallax, Renegade, Psycho Pigs UXB (on multi only, crap single player), Pitstop 2.

Ah, what a machine (pats his emulator) and the music is still being remixed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Kaidos

Rick Dangerous :D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Gah - Forgot the Last Ninja Series...

Last Ninja 2 had some amazing music...

Here's one for you...

International Karate + ... You must have played it biggrin.gif

Barbarian was a good one also - The only Commodore game I knew at the time which allowed decapitation of another human... Some of the movie/games where great...

The Great Escape was good, as was Miami Vice, Rambo - First Blood and Platoon... Platoon was **** hard, but very addictive, with viatnamese lads jumping you from fox holes and the trees... Ultra hard...

There are plenty more... Come on lads - Has to be more C64 buff's than that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Ri-ra

Forbidden Forest... and that soundtrack...

And, for all you Dragon 32 owners, Cuthbert in the Jungle. Why did the Dragon have such a s h i t t y system for colours? Ah, tape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i used to hate loading up tham damm cassette's and have of tham didnt work but the only games i remember playin are flimbo's quest and a terminator 2 game
    oh yeh and tha circus game that was on the catridge along with other games

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Ah yeah...

What was it called...

Can't remember, but it invloved knife throwing (Which usually resulted in a screaming woman with a blade projecting from her stomach) high wire climbs, jumping hundred's of feet into a Tub, then a bucket, then a glass... and various other great stuff...

Was a good one, that game...

There was also a game called "Sphere" - And by god you never knew the definition of hard until you played this one...

LOL - I remember the old Spy v Spy classics...

I prefered number two, the "Spy v Spy - Desert Capers" - I believe they are remaking Spy v Spy for another system... Or were at least revamping it...

One game that amazed me was "Jack The Nipper" - I played that game oh so much, but unfortunately, this eventually wore my tape down and it then refused to load...

Another goody is "SilkWorm" (Also on the Amiga) involving a Helicopter and a Jeep taking on a variation of enemy vehicle waves, a massive flying beast called a "Goose" and several different types of big bad military bosses...

Was fantastic with Two Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Pyjamarama anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Commodore64, now we're talking. Here's my list in no particular order

Elite
    Spy vs. Spy
    Beach Head 1 and 2
    Summer Games 2
    Impossible Mission
    China Miner
    Staff of Karnath
    Entombed
    Blackwyche
    Bruce Lee
    Thrust
    Boulderdash 4
    Pitstop 2
    Barbarian
    Falcon Patrol
    The Sentinel
    Forbidden Forest
    Cauldron I and II
    Rambo First Blood Part II (class music)
    Green Beret
    Kokatoni Wilf
    Hunchback I
    Zaxxon
    Tapper

Probably loads of others but I can't remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i can go even better...i had a commodore 16 now thats was da $hit.
    i had a mad external floppy drive but main storage was tape (forever crashing).64K or RAM..
    many ppl say its virtually the same as the commodore plus4.
    commodore.jpg
    inside.jpg

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Harrumph.

Didn't get to play with the C64. I was stuck with a Vic 20! frown.gif Should I say I was stuck with my mates Vic 20, I didn't have a computer of my own!

The Vic, for those who don't remember it, looked almost identical to the C64, except for the colouring of the case and buttons.It came out maybe a year before it.

It had a staggeringly small 4.5k of RAM, even as kids we used to write BASIC programs which filled the memory. The useable screen area was the now almost unbelieveable 20x22 chars (160x176 pixels) smile.gif If you produced a PDA these days with such low res you'd never sell it! All this flickering on your big telly screen.

The best games were on cartridge. The cassette tape system caused many hours of heartache. Still, it made pirating games as easy as finding a double tape deck.

Does anyone else remember Soft Aid? After Band Aid there was cassette released with a bunch of games on it. Proceeds in aid of Ethopia. I never did get any of those buggers to load.

That's when there was a games shop in Francis St. in Galway. Now if you can remember that you're at least as old as I am!

Memories!

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Hmmm...let me see.....there was the the Dragon 32, The infamous BBC Micro, the Oric, I remember when it used to make sounds when you typed in PING or ZAP. The Amstrad CPC 464 with that green Screen you could only play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

How I remember sitting a my buddies house who had just got his 64 and running poke commands to get the sprites to move. Awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Squire

Midnight Resistance
    Bionic Commando
    Turrican
    Creatures 2
    Sly Spy
    Outrun Europa

Excellent, excellent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Oi don't knock the VIC 20. It was my first machine, and gave me 3 long years of joy before the C64 came out. Back in those days most of my games were cartridge, so no long load times that I suffered increasingly and with surprising patience during the eighties. These days I wonder how I ever had the patience to wait 60-90 mins for some games to load.

http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

90 minutes my **** . The longest load time on the C64 was the original tape version of China Miner. It took 15 minutes to load, I ain't ****ting you. As for the vic20, I had one of those too, still have the first game I got for it. Typically titled Jeff Minter game "Metagalactic llamas battle at the edge of time".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Ah, them were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Spotted someone going on about Head over Heels up there... odd little story to tell!

Guy in my clan just started doing some writing for CTW, so I got him a free subscription to the magazine. It was delayed and stuff last week, which confused me since everyone else had got theirs on time... It arrived in his door a couple of days later with a note saying "Sorry, this landed on my doormat along with my own copy! Bit weird that there's two of us working in the games industry on the same street, eh... Regards, Jon Ritman"

I nearly fainted. This means that:
    (a) Jon Ritman reads my mag;
    (b) there's a chance, however remote, that he might come out for beers with EED in the future sometime.

Now we just need to get Jeff Minter on the beer with us (we did name the clan after the all-enemies-cleared screen in Tempest X after all...) and our lives are complete...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RopeDrink:
    I prefered number two, the "Spy v Spy - Desert Capers" - I believe they are remaking Spy v Spy for another system... Or were at least revamping it...
    </font>

game boy colour (its out)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

About a month ago I brought the old c64 from its dusty grave in the attic, little did I know the 2 joysticks were ****ed but guess what, my sega megadrive pad worked with most of the game!

I had the most fun with Emlyn and Hughes International soccer (still better than fifa for psx). Midnight resistance, Elite wouldnt load but it was class, Arnie, Platoon, Great Escape, AirBorne Ranger, Tomcat, Ghosts & Goblins (love the nappy y-fronts) Green Beret ARUUUUUUAAHHHHH DEN DEN DEN)YIE AR Kung Fu 1 only, 2 was utter ******, Creatures 1 + 2 , Rambo first blood part 2 last ninjas were deadly hard but the greatest was Turrican 2. btw ever notice how much easier games were on the amstrad or spectrum esp. target renegade barbarian etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

WIZBALL!!! NOW THAT WAS A GAME!!!
    AND OUTRUN!! WEH HEY! I DOWNLOADED A EMULATOR THEY ROCK.. PLAYING ALL THOSE OLD GAMES BRINGS BACK MEMORIES

- Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin </font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OSiriS:
    Oi don't knock the VIC 20. </font>

Don't get me wrong, I loved that little machine more than life itself. smile.gif We used to spend 14 hours a day programming and playing on it. His parents used to occasionally throw us out so that we could get some fresh air. That little Vic put me on the road to my current career. I just find it funny looking back now at its almost calculator like spec. But a little star, without question.

K

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski:
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a good C64 emulator - I want to spend my evening reliving past glories and falling behind on work. And yes, I am too lazy to use a search engine.

</font>

http://www.lemon64.com/

for all your C64 emulation needs.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski:
    Anyone remember Daley Thompson's Decathalon? All you had to do to win was open up the joystick and keep hitting the buttons inside instead of wobbling the joystick back and forward continously and banjaxing it.</font>

Do I remember Daly Thompson's Decathlon. Anyone remember the crappy Commodore joystick you got free with the Vic20 ? Well, after playing Daly's for weeks, one 10,000 metres joystick waggling was just too much for this little joystick. The stick snapped. But I opened it up and took out the circuit board and used the pads on that smile.gif
    I also went through 2 Cheetah's and 1 Quickshot II Joystick because of that game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Never played the C64 - a user of the Amstrad 464 (the one with the built in tape-deck/monitor).
    Games played
    - Sabre Wulf
    - Beach Head
    - Elite
    and many others for a totally wasted but enjoyable youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Jeez you people are living in the PAST. Get a real computer like a SAM Coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I still have my C64 out in the room.
    The damn datasette doesn't work anymore though.
    Did any of you have C64 cartridges?
    I thought they were so amazing when they came out.
    Navy SEAL's was brilliant!
    I also had Pang and some others.
    I wonder if my cousin still has them, i might get them back from him. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

oh wow! The C64! Those games!!! I loved them all.

Elite - great space adventure - never got anywhere near finishing it though
    The Pawn - great RPG
    Spy Hunter - Cars, the Peter Gunn theme, what more could you want?
    Loderunner - Stickmen and ladders
    Way of the Exploding Fist - Great kung-fu game
    Barbarian - I remember lopping off heads, WUHOO!
    Raid over Moscow - spaceships, snipers, jets, robots, commies. brilliant
    Gilligan's Gold - like a cheap Indiana Jones
    Manic Miner - i was **** at this game but it was great
    Also there was some game I used to play about computer hackers, where you had to steal money from banks and search for clues on BBS and I could never get past the airport cause when the game was corrupted and it would crash. I loved it though. Anyone remember the name?

Also we had a basketball game where you couldn't tell which way the players were facing and so you ended up throwing the ball the wrong way all the time. ****e. Absolute ****e.

Then there was a great football manager game - can't remember the name.

Anyone remember Daley Thompson's Decathalon? All you had to do to win was open up the joystick and keep hitting the buttons inside instead of wobbling the joystick back and forward continously and banjaxing it.

hmmm other games....

Blue Max,
    Choplifter,
    Falcon Patrol,
    Defender,
    Return to Eden,
    Zelda.
    Impossible Mission - "Stay a while... STAY FOREVER!"
    Boulderdash
    Green Beret
    Dig Dug
    Airwolf
    Blue Thunder
    Bombjack

Forbidden Forest? That name rings a bell - can someone tell me what it was about?

God Bless nostalgia!!!!

I'm the Dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good C64 emulator - I want to spend my evening reliving past glories and falling behind on work. And yes, I am too lazy to use a search engine.

I'm the Dude

Advertisement