Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflict of interests and conflict of DirectX versions

Options
  • 19-07-2001 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ...

System is Win2K (SP1) with DirectX 8a freshly re-installed (after the SP1 upgrade was done). Before I put on SP1, Curse of Monkey Island (the 3rd game) was working just grand. Now, it's insisting that I install DirectX 5 even though 8a is on there.

When I click OK for this, it says "Done" immediately (i.e.: it didn't need to install anything from DX5 to update my machine, as it was already MORE up to date) - but the game still says it every time I try to run it now - that I must install DX5...

It's confused, poor lamb wink.gif

Anyway- not a major issue - and maybe belongs more on the tech forum than here (but thought youze games heads might know about DirectX stuff)... but if anyone has any ideas, please lemme know...

cheers,

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Theres a patched Direct X setup you can get that sorts it. Check some of the monkey sites.

Theres a patched Direct X setup you can get that sorts it. Check some of the monkey sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Update to SP2 (it is not an update, it is a bugfix patch).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Update to SP2 (it is not an update, it is a bugfix patch).</font>

Thanks Hobbes.

Will do that today... Kind old Longfield gave me it on CDR at the IrelandOffline meeting. Nice chap smile.gif

Hopefully that'll sort it.

Will also take a peek at the Monkey sites (I'll try thescummbar.com anyway - any others you suggest, Reverend?).

Bard

Upgraded to SP2 - made no difference to my Monkey / DirectX problem. Any chance you could point me somewhere more specific, good reverend?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Version 8 might not be compatible with Curse of Monkey Island.

Try reinstalling Curse of Monkey Island. If you still have problem install both versions of DirectX - one for Curse of Monkey Island and one for everything else. You would have to manage where you install them though.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Version 8 does work with monkey Island(on win98 anyway).
    Something similar happened to me when I got a new gfx card. I reinstalled directX and patced the game. Worked for me.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

here's a total guess:

Tried reinstalling monkey island? smile.gif

that patch looked like a goer alright... but the grumblefuck in me is coming out to say ... IT DIDN'T GOD-DAMN WORK!!! ARRRGHHH!

(ah well- never mind, I'll just get on to Tech support for once)

Thanks anyway, folks.

Bard

• Advertisement
Advertisement