Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is a PS2?

Options
  • 17-07-2001 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

in shops in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

IR£349.99 is the general asking price for a PS2 with no games. My brother bought one in HMV at that price and it came with a demo disc and 1 controller as standard - but get this... the TV connector lead it came with was SCART only... he had to go and buy another lead (for a tenner) to connect it to a standard RF aerial socket. Fuddermuckers!

Oh and the games range anywhere between £39.99 and £59.99 - usually new releases seem to come out at £44.99.

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

thx bard.
    Its for a mate to compare prices in Finland. i wouldnt be caught dead with one smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

Topic: how much is a PS2?
    **** posted twice ah well

[This message has been edited by Jabba_the_SLUT (edited 19-07-2001).]

Topic: how much is a PS2?

2 much

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

agreed

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my mate tells me that Formula 1 is BRILLANT on PS2... since he loves F1, he might just be saying that for a matter of pride biggrin.gif , so I am wondering, IS the PS2 worth getting for the F1 game ?? (I love F1 iswell) !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

The Console is too expensive and Game prices are a downright Rip Off.(In Ireland anyway) £55 Quid!!!....You must be mad to put up with this!!!! I don't care how good the games are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I can't decide whether to get one or not.
    Is it worth getting for final fantasy(including 9, I never got a ps1)?
    Will it be reduced soon?
    If it's reduced to around £150 I'll probably get one, but I can't see that happening for a good while.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I reckon the ps2 is worth it. I bought one at xmas and got SSX and RR5. RR5 sucks, I have got F1 and GT3 since (gt3 for 45 quid although some places do sell it for 55). Played gt3 all day yesterday and must say it was quite a larf ;-) Whats 45 quid? Anight on the **** in town ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Your right there, I'd spend 40-50 quid on drink for a night.

A mate of mine puked up in a taxi, and he called the guards, and had to pay 40 quid.

So a brilliant game is about the same as a smelly taxi ride. or a night on the ****.

Fair enough i say.

Finally, i think smiths on jervis st, are giving 100 quid worth of vouchers, with the ps2, redeemable when buying games

[This message has been edited by Xterminator (edited 23-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Xterminator (edited 23-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

For more or less the same price I think I'd prefer to have a Geforce3 in my pc smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think GamesWorld are doing the £100 worth of store vouchers with every new PS2 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I don't know wheather I should buy one or not...

If I do it will be over the next few weeks, coz I can see myself blowing my money on college after that. I borrowed my M8's console (and all his games + DVDs, sucker!) while he's outta town working. I have to say I think Tekken Tag is wicked (Graphics and speed is amazing, gameplay is still the same). Oni is kewl also, but a bit repeditive. I still don't think the unit compares to a PC with a decent graphics card.

But here's the thing, I am going back to college in just over a month and I like the idea of bringing a DVD player in to my new house. Now before you DVD headz flame me, sayin that it's DVD player is crap, I agree, but it's fine for a student house. I think the PS2 is a students dream (can do more with it than any other console) to date.

I am not a patient person, and I don't like waiting for new consoles etc (especially when the game corps don't give a toss about Ireland). But on the otherhand the games for the PS2 are overpriced and mostly crap. The games that I'm interested in buying for it would be Wipeout Fusion, Resident Evil -[Code Veronica]-, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2.. After that I'm not too impressed. I have seen games in E3 and still think the future is looking bleak. I can honestly say that only 0-5% of games released these days are worth buying.

What should I do, and why?

:-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I use the PS2 as a DVD player, and console.

It may not be as good as a dedicated unit, but beats my nicam sony video anyday, and is a lot better than Digital sinal coming in from sky too.
    I 'spose it depends what your comparing it to.

Pound for pound it's a pretty good console/DVD player. Espically if you get the 100 pound of vouchers with it.

I think the no. of quality games for the ps2 is going to get better as the programmers learn how to get the best out of it.

Like yourself I just couldn't have been bothered waiting to see if the xbox/game cube etc were worth waiting for. I had the money in my pocket, so I bought the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

£350 and up to 4 games (any four except for 3DO games) for £25 each

In game.

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Yeah I hear what you're sayin BUT...

As I mentioned before, I am very impatient when it comes to games and releasing quality stuff. So what is holding me from buying one right now is that I don't want to fork out £350 for one, while there is no games available. I could wait until the price drops and hope that some better games have come along. Does anyone know when the next price drop is expected and by how much?

I have a console here @ the moment (with Oni, The Bouncer, Tekken Tag, Monkey Island 4). Out of them Tekken Tag is the best (and that's an old game). I am very dissapointed with the games. I think the console is good, but it's nothing without good games.

[subject-change]
    Since I didn't get to go on hollidays this summer, I have some extra cash to splash out with. What will I buy (£500 mark).
    [/subject-change]

;-phobos-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Weston - DO NOT BUY A PS2!!!

The only game that I've seen that's any good for it is Star Wars Bombad Racing and that's not great. Teken Tag = pants - it's rubbish - it's old and it's not that impressive to look at compared to Soul Calibur.

I did see a special thing somewhere that had a Dreamcast and a DVD Player, keyboard, games all for £300-£350 - coulda been Gamesworld on Liffey Street in Dublin, but you don't want a DC either - trust me smile.gif

WAIT and get an X-Box

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

Don't worry Dav, I usually hesitate spending £350 on something I not 100% sure about.

Tell Kealan that he was looking at the older model of the MD player I was on about. He saw the 700 model on Shop St., but I'm on about the 900 model. Which I can only get in Argos @ the moment, everywhere else would have to order it in, because it's so new. Tis £80 more expensive, but the features make up for it.

I'm not too sure about the X-box coz the games they showed @ E3 where useless. Who want's to play a Train Simulator anyway. Oooh lets go faster/slower pick up passengers, [sarcasm] sounds like fun [/sarcasm]

G'wan for organising the LAN this weekend. A cider on me wink.gif

;-phobos-)

300 pound hmmm

10 pund per lan
    10 pound for food

20 pound total for one excellent night of best gaming: Result........

15 good lan nights with m8s.

Or u either have a dreamcast or PC or at a net cafe to be a board member SOooooo u dont need to buy a new pc but use the money to give it a good overhaul and pick up a few games.

Or go made on the net and use it to pay the expensive net bill for the next week or 2

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i have a PS2 and it really is a robbery, there are no original games in the pipeline, just rehashed games from that PS, which should be expected as after about 97 the PS went one one big "sell out" slide, and created the much hated, casual lamer err i mean gamer.
    crap like tombraider 10, ridge racer 15 and what not.

poor console
    poor DVD player
    poor games
    over priced

As the Xbox/Gamecube are soon to be released, be prepared for a magor price sla$h in the PS2 and also prepared to hear the moans of idiots who paid 380 for it [like me].

Xbox ownz j0!!!
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xterminator:

Pound for pound it's a pretty good console/DVD player. Espically if you get the 100 pound of vouchers with it.
    </font>

what other game console/DVD player do u know or comparing it 2?

oh and agreed on all points chernobyl

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~mcm/bob.html <
    LOL!

PS2 is simply riding the success of its predeccesors. I wish to consult a quiz:

1. Why did you buy a ps2 (For those who did)

a) Its the sequal to the console of my fav games and most of their sequals will be on it

b) The features and advantages of it over all competition is too much

c) Its got DVD and Game support

D) i was bored and had extra money.

Or in the case of one of my m8s "Cause its got a internet connection 3 times better then dreamcast" he goes home and gets very ****ed off.

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

It was "(D)" for me.

GT3 was a quick blast, looks sweet, but not enough originality, and how could there be?
    Tekken Tag..no comment
    Ridge 4..diddo
    man it was a waste of cash, i just want an Xbox.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

erm how much r dvd players lads , they r 350 quid WHY not get ps2 and u get to play ps2 games eg gt3 , and the soon to be best gane in world ever eg . our man Mr.metal gear solid

get a ps2 for a dvd player and u can player yer games too stop whinging at machine that works as a dvd plyer when any other dvd players are same price !!!!!!!!!!

my first DVD drive for my pc which used software decoding produced higher quality that the PS2 and that was only running on a p2-400.

are you listening
    i have been there, bought the T-Shirt and then burned it!!

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 26-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I gots me a PS2, its great, there's just crap games for it at the moment.

Now, just hold ALL your money for MAX PAYNE!!!!!

YIH!

point: Max payne is also PC game

point: it will look and play better on PC

point: PC version will have ability to use sdk (sadly no online play its impossible)

point: reading OPM apart from GT3 PSX2's other good game is red faction which is being made for PC and will be better due to better use of geomod and multiplayer and sdk.

point: People should actually listen to chernobyl

as his name suggests it was a disaster.

another thing GT3 how much "new" stuff are in it tha make it a better experiance apart from the graphics. Cause MSN still looks good and has a very good system tha makes it different and more fun.

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

tell me this.
    what new console, that launched with crap games ever succeeded?

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    RR5 sucks, </font>

Yes, but so do its four predecessors

• Advertisement

answering Chernobyls question for truth:

The PC??? (i know it aint a console)

The Snes only had one good starting game (the mario all stars one)

Mega drive had good ones

uhmm THE original nintendo wasnt popular at first i think then it took off with later additions (duck hunt mario etc)

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

Advertisement