Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kasparov v Deep Jr.

Options
  • 07-02-2003 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I wasn't really sure which forum to post this to but because one of the opponents is a computer program I guess this is as good a place as any.

Has anyone been following the Man vs Machine competition online ? The score after 5 games is a draw with the final game on tonight at 20:30 gmt.

Kasparov of course was famously beaten by Deep Blue in 97. Deep Blue could search at a rate of 200 million moves a second whereas Kasparov's current opponent Deep Jr. (no relation) isn't nearly as powerful in terms of brute force but relies on it's AI instead. Anyway whatever the outcome it seems clear to me that in terms of human v machine chess matches, man's days are numbered.

BTW there's a very good book "Behind Deep Blue" which was recently published.

davej

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

The fact that Deep Jr.'s AI is only as good as the people who wrote it, i'd say man's chess days aren't numbered at all.

<Nerd Moment>I like this topic though, chess is cool!</Nerd Moment>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by ManWithThePlan
    The fact that Deep Jr.'s AI is only as good as the people who wrote it, i'd say man's chess days aren't numbered at all.
    Well, those guys managed to hold one of the - if not the - greatest chess players of all time to a 3-3 draw. Thats not bad...and assuming that AI research continues and the results yielded improve, it wont be long (decade or three) until the top chess players are all non-human.

Then again, I dont see this as cause for concern for quite some time. Chess is a fascinating subject because its simple rule structure belies a hidden complexity of staggering proportions. However, what is key from a "real world application" perspective is that it is still just a relatively simple rule structure.

Impressive, yes. Earth-shattering...not really. Not yet.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Nit picking warning...
    The fact that Deep Jr.'s AI is only as good as the people who wrote it
    I wouldn't quite say that. The AI engine learns from input. That input has been supplied to it by chess masters themselves. Once the AI engine has the inputs it has the processing power of a sizeable machine and the knowledge of x number of chess masters. So really, Deep Jr. is as good as the AI program, the chess masters and itself. As regarding man intelligence being numbered have a look at people like Moravec, Vinge, Kurzweil, Leslie etc for a rude awakening! ;)

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

im currently doing my final year project on a chess game so tis very interesting topic to me

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    im currently doing my final year project on a chess game so tis very interesting topic to me

What is the project about?

I'm very interested in this topic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Kasparov gives his opinion on his recent match against Deep Junior (it was a draw)

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110003081

Cheers davej.

Very interesting article. :)

Advertisement