Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 hour maintenance becomes 4, the explanation...

• 07-02-2003 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all -

Sorry about the downtime today from 10.30 to 2.30 - here's the explanation...

For a while now people have been plaguing me to fix the old UBB Community boards posts, where names were showing up as Guest. I wrote a script sometime ago to do this, but unfortunately it was working on a non-indexed field because it was matching posts by IP address and date (in case a post was at the same time as another, the IP address was a second check, but neither field was indexed) and took ages to run (about a day :-)). Obviously this isn't a goer on a live table (as I soon found out after running it!), but I was able to run the query yesterday on our old box, so that then I could import the results into our existing database. However, I found out today when the script ended that the old Community forum posts weren't even there any more, I either never imported them all correctly in the first place or something else happened along the way.

Anyway, today I went to perform the relatively straightforward matter of importing the 20000 or so missing UBB Community posts, I spent an hour or so manually associating userids from vB with those in UBB (but I only managed to type in the userids for our 150 moderators, there were 1500 users in total who had posted on the old UBB Community forums). When I imported all the posts, the user accounts I didn't want (the non-associated ones) were all imported as well, and even worse, they had exactly the same names as existing accounts - doh! Regi helped out at this stage by removing those duplicate users, but mySQL had a fit when it was trying to remove records of those users in the posts table.

Ehhhh-neee-way! Much starting and stopping and repairing of mySQL files later, we're back up and running. The good news (from our point of view anyway!) is that we're retrieved these 20000 old posts, they may not be associated with the right usernames but at least they're there. Also, our post count has hopped past that of our friendly rivals, P45. Finally, the post counts of the moderating elite will increase if they had posts on the old UBB Community forums (once we get around to updating post counts late at night).

We hope everything is working stabley (is that a word?); we were at one stage looking at restoring the forums from last night's backup but hopefully we haven't lost anything important (except maybe WWMan or bubbles ;-)).

Thanks for your patience - this time, Cloud says oops!

John.
    --

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

And before I go, thank you again Regi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

Yess i understand 100%...surprisingly i do understand a few ponit about the scripts!

Also Evn tho im not really worried about that particular board...thanx for making boards.ie a more happy and enjoyable place to be!!

*ok ill get right out of your ass now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Thanks cloud , is handy for our forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Cloud
    Sorry about the downtime today from 10.30 to 2.30 - here's the explanation...

I dont want your explanations!!!
    I want that four hours waiting for boards to 'load' of my life back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks Cloud - I actually got a bout of unadulterated "work" in today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Um

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Most duplicate threads have now been removed.

John.
    --

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement