Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicating at Roundabouts - Grrr

Options
  • 07-02-2003 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

A little pop quiz here - Who knows the correct procedure for indicating approaching a roundabout ?

This is fast becoming a huge pet peeve for me and I'm curious to know how so many people get it wrong. I won't post the correct procedure yet as I want to see if people have different interpretations on the correct procedure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Lemme try this un....

Sample roundabout has 3 exits...

If you are taking the first exit, indicate left as you approach the roundabout.
    If you are taking the second exit, indicate left after you go past the first exit.
    If you are taking the last exit, Indicate right as you approach the roundabout......carry on indicating as you go past the first and the second, then indicate left.

Thats what i do anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

My turn... Slightly different...

Again, sample roundabout has 3 exits...

If you are taking the first exit, indicate left as you approach the roundabout.
    If you are taking the second exit (straight through), no indication.
    If you are taking the last exit, indicate right as you approach the roundabout......carry on indicating as you go past the first and the second, then indicate left.

That's what i've always done. I think it's right....
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Hmmm. i think its always good practice to indicate when you are coming off the roundabout. Lets the guy trying to get on the roundabout know that you are coming off and it is safe to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Normal roundabout:

First exit: Left lane, indicate left before roundabout.

Second exit ( stright on ): Left lane, indicate left after first exit.

Third exit: Right lane, indicate right before the roundabout, indicate left after the second exit.

Another thing - If there isn't any traffic on the roundabout when you approach it, do you have to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

mbroaders, aye, that looks right to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

True, i'd agree with that. My last thread is what i do mostly, interesting to see if i'm right or wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by BlueDrax
    Another thing - If there isn't any traffic on the roundabout when you approach it, do you have to stop?

Slow down, yes, but there is no need to come to a grinding halt, so long as you have a clear view of the whole roundabout and the exits to see if there is anyone approaching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Yeah, most roundabouts only require you to yield the right of way to traffic already on the roundabout. Unless there's a stop sign or a red traffic light on the entrance to the roundabout, you don't need to stop before entering an empty roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I'd say that mbroaders has the correct way but I generally do it as Polonious does.
    Also I never trust other peoples indicators - I always wait until I am sure they are doing what they are indicating before going.
    If there is nothing on the roundabout as you approach you don't have to stop but should slow down a bit.
    My pet peeve is people who indicate and then change lanes without looking as if the indication gives them the right to cut you off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

<rant>
    Since not a single offence of the 63 or so listed in the Penalty Points system is related to the usage of indicators, it seems that the official position is that it doesn't matter, and everyone is okay to do whatever they vaguely remember from maybe seeing the Rules of the Road once upon a time, mainly copying their grandparents or dog's driving style. "Indicators, sure they burn up extra peterel, just like headlamps, but fog lights are good for demisting the winda at the back"
    </rant>
    Ah, feel better now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by dougal

Also I never trust other peoples indicators - I always wait until I am sure they are doing what they are indicating before going.

mboarders is right AFAIK

with regards lanes, left lane can go left or straight
    right line can go straight or right.

As for indicators, if you're ever hit/hit someone and claim that you thought a car was going to do something else because he indicated, it'll do you no good. You'll still be at faukt

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Roundabouts
    with regards lanes, left lane can go left or straight.
    I know some big roundabouts have road signs/markings indicating otherwise
    ( i.e. left lane = left, middle lane = straight on, right lane = straight on & right )
    but on a bog standard roundabout, can you use the right lane to go straight ahead?

Erm, no - rules of the road say right lane is for right turns only, unless road markings indicate otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I'm going left I indicate left, if I'm going right (3rd turn) I indicate right until I pass the 2nd turn. Then I indicate left.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

on a roundabout with 2 lanes leading into the roundabout the:
    left lane is for taking the first or second exit, and
    the right lane is for the third or subsequent exit

and remember that not all roundabouts are layed out like a crossroads. There are many that are layed out much differently than this, and so it is important not to mix up the lanes

Its the nutters who start in the turn right lane who then "cross over" and exit at the straight ahead, so cutting up the lawfull folk in the left hand lane who scare me at roundabouts.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Remember guys that sometimes the 2nd exit is not automatically straight ahead if you imagine the roundabout as being like a clock face usually 6 o'clock is where you are, 9 is the first exit, 12 is the second and 3 is the third but sometimes the 2nd exit is past 12 o' clock in that case you treat it the same as you would a 3rd exit i.e keep to the right hand lane indicate right and then left.

But going slightly off topic what annoys me the most on roundabouts is not signalling but lane positioning. What really gets me irate are muppets who use the leftmost lane to take the 3rd exit (usually happens when the correct lanes are busy and the leftmost lane is empty) Basically they think they're being cute hoors by using the empty lane to jump the queue and then cut in front of everyone else its very dangerous and gives me road rage every time I see it. You see this an awful lot on those big roundabouts off the M50 one of the worst is the roundabout you come across when you're heading south along the M50 and take the N4/Lucan exit.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BlueDrax
    Normal roundabout:

First exit: Left lane, indicate left before roundabout.

Second exit ( stright on ): Left lane, indicate left after first exit.

Third exit: Right lane, indicate right before the roundabout, indicate left after the second exit.

This is the right one, as as few others got right too.
    But of course, Irish roads are ambiguous. If you take the general rule - left hand lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right hand lane for last exit, it can be applied to any roundabout with some common sense - ie the Walkinstown roundabout, 6 exits, 3 for each lane. Simple, you'd think :rolleyes:

You can go straight in the right hand lane. Rule of thumb (ie Common sense) dictates that if there are two lanes on the second exit, then you may use the right hand lane to go straight, otherwise use the left hand lane only. But common sense? What's that? Some kind of breakfast cereal? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

also cause im a wancr my hands n wrists are very sore
    so its too much hassel ,
    also leave full lights on all day & beams on all night
    " over compensate , cause it so big , "
    indication is exactly what it means ,to give other drivers a ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Well you are all wrong.

You are not obliged to indicate whatsoever according to Irish road rules.

(or so I was told by my last driving instructor)

And that you cannot be failed in your driving test if you do not indicate on a roundabout.

Which is Crazy imo, so I always indicate to let people know which turn I am getting off at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Your driving instructor must not have had much in the way of qualifications! Have a look at any Irish rules of the road booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Samba,

The rules of the road booklet is like 2 or 3 euros from Easons.

Get your driving instructor to buy one. If he's telling all the people he's teaching this, there's no wonder people are crap at roundabouts.

when would the rules have been last updated?

Last time i had a driving test was back in 98 i think :)

I saw it as being plausible as Roundabouts have not been around Ireland for a long time.

But as I said, thought it was crazy

Samba, I did my test in early '98, and indicating at roundabouts was definitely in the rules of the road back then. I reckon your instructor should be shot if he was giving advice like that.

A Name and Shame is in order so :)

Will get the details asap and post back, because that was precisely what he told all of his students, im glad I ignored his advice :)

I was told by my last driving instructor

Its not an accident that any idiot can set up as an instructor, that guys the proof!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, my gf uses a woman instructor who gives her all sorts of mad advice. One such piece of advice made her fail her test last week :mad:
    Of course the instructor can never be wrong. The best way to know you're driving properly is to speak to someone who just passed their test - they'll still have all the correct manouvers fresh in their head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

not indicate at roundabouts???? jesus christ, that guy should be shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Met a girl(learner driver) a few months ago. Told by her instructor that it was okay to drive around behind people with full beams on and that you only had to lower them for oncoming traffic. She suspected something was up from the amount of pi$$ed off drives she seemed to encounter at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya had a personal experience of this, some cu*t in a jeep right behind us for ages on the way home, back road, just thinking they were a complete gob****e and didn't know even after slowing down to a stop etc' but then someone comes from a head on direction and they dim, thank god ya think but then the ****er puts them back on the second the car is gone. Think it one of the highest things that could inspire the old road rage, someone looking for a beating eh i mean education... nah beating.

Advertisement