Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yahoo mail server Name

Options
  • 07-02-2003 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I need the Server name for the yahoo mail server
    if anyone knows it.

Thanks

Dec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

maybe this mite be of help, hope it works

http://support.sbcglobal.net/email/4750.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

POP Server is pop.mail.yahoo.com
    SMTP Server is smtp.mail.yahoo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Cheers Lynchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bear in mind you can't access these unless you pay for it.

Up until last year, you could get your yahoo e-mail on the likes of Outlook Express, Eudora and hand held devices. Now, you have to pay $25 for the "privilege".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Bear in mind you can't access these unless you pay for it.

Up until last year, you could get your yahoo e-mail on the likes of Outlook Express, Eudora and hand held devices. Now, you have to pay $25 for the "privilege".

You can still download Yahoo mail into a mail client for free, you just pay for a larger mailbox etc. if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Didn't they start charging for pop access? I know I'm currently usng web2pop to get mail from one yahoo.com account. yahoo.co.uk and yahoo.ie accounts can still be retrieved in the normal way.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You can still download Yahoo mail into a mail client for free, you just pay for a larger mailbox etc. if you want.

No, that's not the case. You now have to pay to get it via POP. They want to keep you on their website (advertising) or have you pay to, er, not view their website.

(from Yahoo's blurb):
    POP Access and Forwarding

• Use Outlook (tm), Eudora (tm), or another POP3 client to access and manage your Yahoo! Mail.

• Automatically forward your Yahoo! Mail to another email account - even another Yahoo! address.

• Send larger messages, up to 5MB

• Only $24.99/year*.

The larger mailbox is thrown in also, as is the abilty to send larger e-mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

No, that's not the case. You now have to pay to get it via POP. They want to keep you on their website (advertising) or have you pay to, er, not view their website.

I'm still using POP to access a recently opened Yahoo(.ie) account. You have to sign up for Yahoo Delivers - their direct mailing list. Just sign up for e-mails about an obscure topic like wine tasting and you'll never get any. Once you've done that, POP access will work straight away. I don't think they're advertising this service now for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    I'm still using POP to access a recently opened Yahoo(.ie) account.

Yeah, still works for .ie and .co.uk addresses (as mentioned above). Nothing doing on .com addresses though. There's a freeware project on sourceforge to grab yahoo.com mails, can't remember the project URL off-hand though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    I'm still using POP to access a recently opened Yahoo(.ie) account.

Damn it! I have a yahoo.com address. I see somebody has my .ie equivalent.

I might try another one.

Originally posted by sceptre
    There's a freeware project on sourceforge to grab yahoo.com mails, can't remember the project URL off-hand though.

http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

And to think I was about to shell out 25 Euro for the privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Damn it! I have a yahoo.com address. I see somebody has my .ie equivalent.

I might try another one.

Whenever you register your e-mail address, the bit before the @ is your unique Yahoo ID and is usable only by you, so nobody (including yourself) can register the same ID but different e-mail domain (e.g. if you've registered grrroovy_email_name@yahoo.com then neither you nor anybody else can register grrroovy_email_name@yahoo.ie).

If you are gonna go for a .ie address, beware of the fact that it's dead easy to mix it up and get a .co.uk address if you're not careful, and secondly you're going to have to make sure everyone is well aware that is yahoo.ie cause yahoo.com will not work.

Advertisement