Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?Office 2000 tries to reinstall with new user...

Options
  • 07-02-2003 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can anyone help me find out how to stop the installation prompt that comes up asking for the office install media whenever a new user logs in for the first time and starts office?

Office 2000 was installed in my Windows 2000 admin account. When I add a new user, I don't want to have to supply the Office 2000 media to them. Also, I don't want to leave the install files on disk for space reasons.

TIA

(I've tried Google and MS KB to no avail, yet)

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

i've had this plenty of times. The way I get around it is to do a full install within the local admin or domain admin account. Then without logging off open up each office program, 1 at a time. For example Outlook usually wants more files AFTER install of office. I usually put in some fake settings into outlook, just to get everything installed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Ah... I think that's the prob. I rebooted after the install without opening each office app. (Opened each app afterwards, but new accounts still need the source)

Usability eh?

Also tried copying Administrator/Application Data/Microsoft to Default User to no avail.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Just for reference, I got it working :D Needed to copy the Admin profile to Default User by System|User Profiles tab.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

For future reference, if you are attempting the same in a secured LAN environment (e.g. policies implemented) you might want to attempt it as follows:

1) Install s/w as Domain Admin (or Local Admin)
    2) Log out
    3) Log in with 'Domain User' account (i.e. no other group memeberships). Fire up each app. and customise to satisfaction.
    4) Log out | Log back in as Domain Admin
    5) Copy ntuser.dat from stored profile of account used to log in in step (3) to 'Default User' profile folder.

As you probably know, ntuser.dat is just the stored version of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER portion of the registry. This is where the msoffice crap is stored but it's also where admin related permissions are sometimes kept so you mightn't want to be copying the admin profile to default user.

N.B. If you set up other things like Paper size and refional settings during step (3) then these will be carried onto all subsequent users logging in at that workstation.

[edit] copying the ntuser.dat is the same as using system/profile tab.... [/edit]

Advertisement