Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal 2

Options
  • 07-02-2003 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

I think it was out today,has anyone bought it and is it any good?What are the minimum specs going for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Yeah I saw it in Game today on Grafton St. when Brown Thomas was being evacuated for flooding (heehee, was cool). Just looking at back of cover it looks just like Ut2k3 but single and looks like it could be quite good. Student budget doesn't permit purchase at the moment unfortunately and I've only been hearing mixed words on reviews about it, most of them mainly saying it's only ok.

Anyone bought/played it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I have it, just haven't gottne round to install it yet
    its the weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I cant wait ti get my hands on this game even if there is nothing new in it like ive heard i know i will still enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

:o DO IT NOW! NOW!!!! DO IT NOW!!!! RIGHT THIS INSTANCE!!!

erhmm.....please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

As i was saying on the UNREAL forum,smyths dosent have it,ffs gonna try again 2morrow,afraid ill have to pay virgin 55 yoyoz,im sure smyths will have it for 50 with 10% off ne way.btw the shisters in game are sellin it for 60 yoyoz.

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

I got my shiny new Hercules Radeon 9700 pro & Unreal 2 on friday :D:D:D. Holy crapola! It was a marrige made in heaven - I've never seen a game look so beautiful! I haven't gotten to far into it yet but it is really, really good fun to play. In fact, I really wan't to leave work right now and go home and play it. Can I? Huh?... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Good game and bad game all in one packadge.

The gfx are amazing and gameplay is very good. The mix of missions is very well done as is the mission types, which have some very cool objectives in some of them. The game is way to bloody short tho. In fact its the shortist FPS I think Iv every played. Lack of online part means it has very little replay value tho.

I enjoyed it but honestly wouldnt be able to recommend it to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

I'm pretty indifferent to the game... It's the engine I really care about. When other developers start using it for their FPSs, we're in for a big f*ck off treat.

Half Life 2 Valve? Pretty please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

whatever about the gameplay (a bit of mindless fun), I've gotta say the sounds effects are really done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Once you get past the boring training and get the flamethrower/shotgun it starts to get v.good,great graphics and sound + nice level designes.

BTW wot difficulty level were u playin on VENOM......I set it to the hardest.

COMBATCOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Yeah, the flamethower and shotgun are real nice. I also agree with the sound comments - really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Its a great game to play in the respects that you are always in awe of the alien landscapes (but in that respect its really a Soldier of Fortune clone - do a job head back to the ship, land on another planet, totaly different landscape and head back to the ship...wash rinse and repeat!) The graphics really do make a difference to the atmosphere along with great sound and bg music it ranks up there with AvP2 (nothing beats AvP1 or system shock2 imho).

The level design is great, comparable to Half Life, at normal difficulty you end up scrounging ammo and on Hard difficulty your weapon choice is at the forefront of your mind as you skulk around the levels watching every corner,rafter and hole...and with plenty of set-up situations where you are always in the thick of the action or better still commanding the action...great feature

The enemies are extremely varied and have great AI, as in you can sniper and take a man down from far away but his buddies will automatically find cover or rush you depending on the situation, with different weapons for different enemies you can be caught off your gaurd easily...

Some of the weapons are there for show and others are there just for certain set pieces but your choice is varied with some weapons becoming personalle favourites....
    The final weapon is truely amazing borrowing from wip3out fusion's gravity bomb

In this game its more of a team effort/feal to your adventures which works well, great character interaction and plenty of humour just adds to the atmosphere....the plot being basic enough as it is again its linked to "we must show off our desert mapping skillz" or "we'll put them in front of a huge Dam". Really more could have been done in this department and the levels should have been longer (completed the game over four days)

Overall if you liked Soldier of Fortune 1 or AvP 2, you'll love this,
    Action films dont have the best plots in the world but really its a minor thought as you tear through some of the best worlds your PC has ever seen! (but if you want more of a challenge and longer playing time AvP2 does it but not as pretty)

9/10

Ger

Athalon XP 1800+
    512 DDR Ram
    GF4 TI4800se
    Sound Blaster live

Slow down with all the shadows and details turned on, my sound card was struggling with it...running it at medium to high 1024 x 768 - no slowdown...(the same way I have UT2K3 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

COMBATCOW I played it on medium setting and was up to the last level and midways through that after about 6 hours of gameplay. Halflife Unreal and Deus Ex are still top of the FPS heap for value for money as far as Im conserned and even RTCW was longer than Unreal 2.

PS. Anyone know a way to get Halflife and Unreal to run on a WinXP machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Great game as far as im concerned,the technology means a lot for the future of games and hopefully a good mod community will get into action as with half life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

Who's looking forward to Thief III? I thought Thief 2 was a let down. It was more of an addon pack than a full game, but with Deus Ex's Warren Spector and the Unreal Warfare engine..... oh my. I've wet my nickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hey i liked Thief 2, i did not know they were making a new one....

Back on topic.. i loved the first Unreal back in what... 98? Anyway I have not bothered with the new one yet... ill get around to it at some stage i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think it’s a very enjoyable game. The weapons are actually very good (except for the spider gun) which is just silly! The rocket launcher was a little puny, although the fun I had with secondary fire made up for it. It's not quite long enough (although it did take me quite a while on hard mode). I actually enjoyed the story and the dialogue was very funny at times.

The graphics of course are amazing...although ill never be as astounded as I was when I saw Unreal 1 for the first time on my 3DFX Voodoo 3 ;) ........The gorgeous water (is the new h20 as good? The massive levels, the AMAZING detailed textures...that modern graphics cards just don’t seem to be able to do (without a HUGE FPS penalty).

The defence levels were great...the bad guys were a huge improvement over the first Unreal. They are actually very tough, fast and clever.

Overall I would say it’s not a classic...but it’s not far off.

88% GG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im on the 5th level as it is, playing it on hard, and so far its pretty easy. The shock lance isn't bad after it gets upgraded. However my GF3 is struggling, and my naff old 900mhz athlon is chugging along, im getting about 40fps tho, even in a hard fight, grahics suffer tho, I had a look at max graphics, and got just ver 1fps, feckin georgous tho :)

Hopefully there are a few more challenging missions later on, the 2nd articfat was a bit of a pain as the marines are hateful to fight against, especially the rocket and grenade guys, 1 direct hit = pain.

Ill give it 85% so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Finished :confused:
    Only 23 missions, 10 of them are interludes, so you get 13 missions, about 35-40mins per mission, hardly even 10hours play, got it last night 10pm or so and now im done, on hard mode, damn that was short. For its dire shortness ill give it: 60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Im not impressed by it.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Beat the game over the weekend just after buying it Friday.

Anyone used to FPS combat will find this easy (I was playing on Normal).

Most of the levels are really nice though, and it's a shame the game is so short. I quite liked the sniper level and the living planet.

The final weapon you get is just complete overkill. I had 600+ rounds in the thing and it would kill anything in one shot. Also you get it on the final level so you really only need 3 rounds.

There was one thing though. After beating it if you play it a second time some easter eggs seem to open up.

The training level the brother found a Nali mask hidden in a crate and when taken opened up a shooting gallery of Nali's. Then on the ship he found the seacow chomping on some circuits. You can talk to it and after a bit of practise the seacow vanished after saying "Lincoln is happy!". Then when he went into the briefing Abraham Lincoln is the guy calling in the distress call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ahhhhhhhhh...damn you Hobbes!
    Shoulda used the spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Yeah and some other jerk in a different thread ruined another good part at the start which i won't say coz then i'd be doing the same thing:) The length of the game shouldn't be a problem coz i go thru games at snails pace and only play them once or twice a week. So far i think it pretty good but fps is crap during battles.

Advertisement