Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoises.... anyone got one?

• 07-02-2003 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I have a Hermann's... a female, approx 40 years old.
    I've had her for nearly 7 years.
    She's always been hand-fed....so she's a fussy, slow and reluctant eater!

Curious to know if anyone else here has one?
    And if so....tell us about it!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

:(

Well......if you don't have one..... maybe you know someone who has..... and we can talk about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi Rancid,

My mum always had torties until I was 10, not sure of the species but they were adorable! Where did you get your tortie? my mum would love to get some more! so if you know where I can get some it would be great.

Terepins are great as well! I am hoping to get some more soon!

Anyone else out there like amphibans? or torties?

Faye:cool:

Faye!

I "inherrited" mine from a friend.... it was in her family for years.

I don't know where you'll get one now... I think I heard of someone in north Dublin who keeps them.. but I've no name or addy.

Is Reptile Haven still open? That shop might be able to help...

Mine is still in hibernation now... I'll wake her up on 17th March!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tortoises are now listed under the CITES act and as such their prices have jumped massively.A Hermans now costs 200+ Euros.Look after that one that you have.If you used it to breed you could probably look at turning a huge profit and protect the species from those who poach wild caught specimens.Good luck with it!!!!!!!!!

But yep Reptile Haven is still there.And seems to be doing quite well.Ben has a couple of Hermans down there and I think hes charging 250 each including all the necessary documents.Apparently they live for about 80(???) years.Talk about a lifetime pet.It will probably out live you.
    Richie

I've never thought of breeding them, tbh...
    I know they're difficult to get and expensive... I'm just happy to have one of my own!

I just wish she had a better appetite!
    I seem to spend hours trying to encourage her to eat!!

Anyone know any tricks??
    :eek:

Btw..... her fave foods are:
    Slugs, bananas, cucumbers, lettuce, peachs, dandelion leaves and occasionally... cabbage, apples, corn, tomatoes and broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Have you seen this site http://www.hermann-tortoise.co.uk/ ?
    Seems to have a good forum etc.

Thank You Neil_Sedaka!!!

Just looking at that site now... the forum definitely seems lively!!

Advertisement