Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

guitars now?

• 07-02-2003 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

ok, ive asked about amps and effects pedals, so now i want to ask, what sort of guitar would be good to get? i only have a squire strat, but i want an upgrade, which i plan to get in the summer, i want it to be less that about a grand, (im in the north so thats 1500 euro)
    i was thinking of esp, but i would have to get it on import,. and frankly wouldnt trust anyone enuff to give out credit card numbers on the net.
    so im left with things like ibanez, jackson or gibson, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Depends what you like playing.

Nice blues tones from Les Pauls, Strats and Tele's

More heavy rock from Les pauls, some esps, and Ibanez.

Of course theres a broader array of guitars for all different styles, but that would be the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Take a look on http://www.music123.com

I do know for a fact that they are very reliable, trust-worthy and pretty cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Sterile Fish

ive looked thru music123 before, and my mate got his guitar from there, i still dont feel right giving out credit card details online though, maybe im just wierd:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

If your afraid to take risks your life must be pretty f*cking boring! :D

im not boring, i just dont want some tit to have access to my credit card deatails, where they could then take loads of money from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Your credit card is insured, if you go around with that kind of attitude it will only end up costing you. Luckily you can phone in your order and credit card details!

A note on music123, they are not permitted to sell fender outside of the US, bastard fender/distributers *rants*. Thomann is a German site that will ship to Ireland, but they're more expensive on most things, they have English speaking sales staff ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm also thinking of upgrading from my Squier to maybe a Fender Strat.

I'm a little puzzled as to what to do though. At the moment I get a really indistinct sort of muffled sound from my electric; some people say it's the Squier others the 15 watt Fender amp I'm playing it out of. Fiddling with the settings doesn't seem to help but I think I'll get a new amp first.

Would there be any particular guitar that suits sort of Lemonheads, STP, Nirvana type playing; the style I'm getting at here is sort of fast and rocking but not necessarily heavy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Theres a reason that when you see bands 90% have Marshall logo's behind them..cause they do the ****ing job..

NeM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

i got an esp F-200 from music123.
    and it was delivered in two days
    but UPS who handle all post from the US will send you a VAT bill once you have recieved it. I think its 21%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ZoSoPage

Hey dudes,
    I bought my first "proper" electric guitar a few years back, a mexican Fender Strat standard...maple neck, sunburst etc....

This cost me about 670 euro and the guys at music maker in dublin gave me a good deal and i bought a 30 watt marshall with it too, that was about 300 euro extra...

I've since modified the strings etc and got a new 100watt valvestate marshall but still have the trusty old mexican strat...

I love this guitar, very versatile, can create any sound, feels solid and sounds sweet out of most amps. These are constructed in mexico but use almost all the same bits that the american strats do but cost a fair bit less.

I definitely reccommend this for someone making the next step from the dreadful realm of the clangy Squire.

Good hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Standard Mexican in Carlow = 609 euro
    Delux Mexican in Carlow = 669 euro

You got robbed!

Hey Don 1,
    I don't think that i got ripped off at all, it just seems that i got my punt-to-euro calculations a little mixed up......

I paid 489 pounds irish for my mexican but could paid a little less for a different fretboard and just plain colouring, not the sunburst....

Secondly, I shopped around dublin and found that music maker was the cheapest at the time against Musician Inc, Rocksteady Music and some others.

Thirdly, I paid 600 pounds for the guitar and the 30watt marshall (which was about 190pounds on its own....) in a really sweet deal.

Therefore, I saved about 200 pounds altogether and got my mexican for a lot less than it should have been, probably even beating your prices in your beloved "Carlow"....

Maths was never my strong point. :confused:

Pfft I got my Mexican Deluxe with SD hotrails in the bridge for the equivilant of 500 euro, with a 100 watt Roland and a hard case. All worth about 1200 euro new! Jaysus bai's!

I now have a Marshall 2x65(130w) amp, and tis nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

How the fluich did you manage that?

The B n' f'n S!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Epiphone make some excellent Les Paul replicas, they're cheap and good.

As a place to buy I suggest www.thomann.de

Good luck, A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I kinda like to pick up a quitar before I buy it. I always find that every quitar seems different even it should be identical to the one beside it. Thats the only problem for me buying across the web. Anyone get stuck for vat when importing the quitars?

I was importing a kayak (Not some flashy name for a guitar but a little boat) from America last year and it got stuck at Dublin Airport and they wouldn't release it until i paid a vat bill of 21% but it still worked out cheaper than if i were to buy it here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I kinda like to pick up a quitar before I buy it. I always find that every quitar seems different even it should be identical to the one beside it. Thats the only problem for me buying across the web. Anyone get stuck for vat when importing the quitars?

Got my bro a beginner's bass set from thomann and the price was all in excluding delivery which was bout 25yoyos. The bass arrived within a week of the order and the rest a couple o days later.

You're required to pay VAT and custom duties only if the shipment comes from outside the European Union

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

PRS Santana SE, No question about it is the best guitar money can buy for around a 1000 yo yo's.
    i will admit I am a hugh PRS fan and was skeptical when they released a 'Budget' version. 1 min playing the thing and I bought it. The build quality is second to none and compared to Mex Fenders/Epiphone Les Pauls etc it blows them out of the water.
    It feels like it was put together by people that care about guitars rather than a mass market clone.
    Of course its not for u if u are after thet strat/tele/335 vibe but if u after a guitar with Humbuckers the TRY IT BEFORE U SPEND YOUR MONEY!!!
    It has a fairly fat neck, beautiflly finished.Neck is unique I would say.
    The sound is GOD, Roll on the santana licks! I play Jazzy/Funk/Reggea/Rock /Blues and a few adjustments to the tone/vol/pickups and u get a hell of a range of sounds.
    Monster metal sound if u that way inclinedI have played guitar for 13 years and owned/used just about all the guitars talked about on this post. THIS IS THE BEST.;) this is only my opinion but I have yet to find someone not blown away after playing my plank.
    The only thing better is a USA PRS.
    This guitar rates very strongly next to a Gibson. Go to Musician Inc and try if u dont believe me.

One final point is u can now buy genuine USA PRS Dragon II pickups from the UK for about 110 stg each.
    so about E1300= E5000 worth of tone.

Hope u try it anyway mate and good luck wot ever u buy

i recently tried out a flying v just after my birthday, sounded great.....but it hung awkwardly, is this the same with all flying v's? it hung to the left of what im used to, so it made it really hard to reach the frets 1-5. Im getting my amp fixed in the next few days, at the weekend im buying a multi-effects pedal, not usre hwich one yet. but i still dont know wat guitar to get, i will have really good equipment except my squier strat...i still dont know wat to get, the really good ones are out of my price range, so i need to find an equilibrium somewhere

What about an Epiphone Les Paul? My guitarrist has one and it sounds great

I found that the Flying V and Les Paul are best played when sitting in a classical position with the guitar balanced on the left leg (if right handed). whereas with other shapes like the strat and the tele you can play like a normal acoustic on the right leg.

Never got a chance to Play a PRS, must check one out the next time I'm in London. Its hard to find a quitar thats decently setup in Dublin/Irish Music Stores. Certainly the fit and finish of the budget fenders and gibson is not very good.

I find ESP and Yamaha generally of better quality, but I guess you pay for the difference. Best sounding quitar I had was the ESP George Lynch, wish I never sold it. Though the graphic on it was a bit hard to take.

The Flyin' V would hang to the left because it is not balanced right, the neck is too long. The same happens with SG's

yeah, i love flying V's- Gibson ones that is Hugh tone.
    Would only buy one if I won the lotto. Lovely tone but any V shaped guitar is a pain after a while.
    I had a Jackson off center V- Like randy rhodes one but just not comfertable also.

They have 1 or two PRS SE's in Musician inc. , as far as i know the eonly place that sells them.
    Have a goo and check the finish/build and then pick up an epiphone LP etc and you will see the diff. The only good epiphone i had was a plain black LP junior wich was an ugly brute but felt lovely. Epiphone guitars feel like plastic to me.

ESP George Lynch, lol, that brings me back :D

forgot to stick this on
    She my baby:rolleyes:

E1100 or so in Dublin

Avail with stop tail also

mmmmmmmmm, i love ur baby!!

pity shes outa my price range :rolleyes:

im gonna see if i can get trevor keys to get me a ibanez

that shuldnt be too sore on the oul pockets

Have to say the ibanez even the cheaper ones are pretty decent. I love the tones that Satriani and Vai get out of them. (Remember the quitar legends concert anyone?)

• Advertisement

oh my Gog

Seville spain? 1992 woz it. Seehhz 11 years. Cripes!
    Amazing concert
    Highs for me- Steve Vai playing For the love of god(and that digy tasseled suit he woz wearing
    BB King- The whole set :)
    Joe Satriani- surfing with the alien ( wot a jacket)
    Joe Walsh-Dude

Fek it the whloe thing was great.They were my gods then.
    i really feel that the standards of guitar players has dropped hugley in the last 10 years since the grunge thing.

Dont get me wrong I love the whole ethos of grunge and that type of ballsy 3 chord music but a whole generation has since
    set that as thier benchmark. Nobody knows thier Mixolydian from thier Phryigian anymore :(

Ibenez- They were the most wanted guiter for the whole 90's pretty much eh? I liked the RG550 with the mirrord scratch plate.Great sound.
    Mad, these days u cant give away pointy superstrats
    Ahhh the joys of Floyd Rose
    :cool:

Yeah thats it. I have it on an old VHS tape somewhere. Along with bits of the movie crossraods. I had a black pointy reverse head charvel with seymour duncan hotrails fore and aft back in the day with huge frets. Actually wish I still have it, since I don't see quitars of the same quality around these days.

Advertisement