Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem connecting two computers to each other via two ethernet nics

• 07-02-2003 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hay ho I've finished build the PC from Komplett and its working fine but now I have another problem I can't transfer the data
    currently on my old machine via their nics, Neiher machine can detect each other...but they both seem to know some thing
    up because both machines know there connected to somthing
    On my old Dell PIII 700 using win98 I can access my network
    neighborhood but it only displays it'self
    My new machine running windows XP also detects it's conneted to somthing when I remove the cable it notifies me that a cable has been disconected they just wont do what there told
    and see each other also I know for a fact that both NICS work
    any help? also the needed data amounts to more than 5 gigs!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

are you using a patch or crossover cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DAFUB

I've got both, crossover currently being used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

OK try rebooting each machine together! Then log on in both of them! You need to be properlly loged on in win 98 ( Pressing escape dont work for networking ). If you dont know youre win98 networking password just creat a new user account in win 98! Also a bit of advice is to leave both machines loged on for 3 - 5 mins then try the network! My network here at home sometimes takes 2 mins to get up and rinning after the machines have been logged on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

In windows 98, go into the network properties.

I normally look at the list of network protocols and pick TCPIP on whatever network card I have eg: TCPIP - 3Com NIC Blah blah,

In those properties give the machine a static IP address (you don't need to, I just like to), eg: 10.31.1.100 (perhaps also a subnet mask eg: give it 255.255.255.0), then look under the identification tab and note the workgroup (which will probably default to 'workgroup').

Now do the same on the other machine, make sure it is using the same workgroup, but now make sure that you give it a different IP address eg: 10.31.1.101, give it the same subnet mask too.

Now reboot both.

When they come up they should be connected. If not go into the DOS prompt, type ping (whatever the other machine on the networks name is eg: 10.31.1.101) and if you get a reply it's working, if not and you get a bad address or more likely request timed out, then you are almost certainly using a patch cable instead of a crossover.

The easy way to know is if you look at the jack on one end of the cable you will see 4 colored wires going into the pins, hold the other end of the cable up and look at the 4 colored wires on that one, if they are in the same sequence then it's a patch cable. Go into a computer shop and ask for a crossover.Check it by looking at the order the wires are in, they should be different.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DAFUB

thanks that worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,639 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If it is only data transfer from your old rig to your new rig you're after, why don't you hook up your old HD as a slave to your new rig? Data transfer is a lot faster this way as well

Advertisement