Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest FF?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

i managed it with level 95 and under... took me about a year tho smile.gif

i just downloaded that NES emulator today, the "nesticle". cant get it workin though. if i try the win95 version the screen just goes blank for a while and nothin happens. if i try the dos version it tells me there is no such file or sumtin like that. how did u get it workin Tilmitt?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

FF7 WAS the hardest of the lot,think about it ffs. It dragged through the story{which is a good thing}, it took ages to go up a level and you couldn't automatically get a limit break like FF8. And remember the emerald and ruby weapons...thats fÜcking scary for you. FF8 was simple all through and finished it in under 90 hours with ALL GF's and Cards, when you fight Edea in the last battles just use holy-war trial on all party and away you go. FF9 is tough for a while and i can't finish it coz my memory card fÜcked up just B4 you get the airship. And post your times here for FF7,8,9 so i can see who is good or what.My best are FF7:28 Hrs FF8:87Hrs and so far on FF9: Disc 3 where you get the airship , 39 Hrs i think havn't played in a while.

"that island has freedom written all over it, sir, that's cuba"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

OK, here goes.

First of all:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">btw the rpg board has few nough posts without you stealing FF. rolleyes.gif</font>
    Nah the RPG board is only for western RPGs like Ultima and the likes. There was a Final Fantasy board for a short while, i was the moderator.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">8 was hardest of those three, because the monsters levels went up as yours did.</font>
    That happens with all of them. Maybe it was automatic in 8, i dont know, i never payed much attention to 8.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">FF8 was easy, you can get to level 100 in no time. FF7 takes for ever, I only have five Level 99 people.</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think you misunderstood Chubby, It gets **** hard at high levels, not easier.</font>
    Ok, levels. Again, im not sure about 8, but if you got to level 99 in 7, the game ending became virtually impossible. As for getting your character level up that far, its easy if you know how. Ok, heres how.

In the final dungeon (which you can get out of once you enter - some ppl think you cant) there is an enemy in about 3 screens only, called magic pots. When you fight them they will yell 'gimme elixir!'. If you ignore them, they are impossible to beat, but they will steal good stuff off you and then escape. If you give them an elixir, they wont do anything more the whole battle, but you can beat the crud out of them. They give you tons of XP and AP - cant remember the exact numbers, think its 10000 XP and 100 AP. Naturally, you would run out of elixirs fairly quickly doing this a lot, so utilise this <ahem>tip, to help you along. Get W-Item. You can get it in Midgar when you drop in to the abandoned railway on the second disk - just keep going back into the screen for ages instead of forward away from the screen. W-Item lets you use 2 items in 1 go. In a battle, select an elixir with w-item, slect a character, select another elixir, but on the character select for the second elixir, CANCEL OUT instead of confirming. Mysteriously, you now have 1 extra elixir. Just keep pressing select, cancel, select, cancel to increase you supply of elixirs until you have 99. Do this whenever you run low on them. Now you have plenty to give the magic pots. Another idea when fighting magic pots is to equip EXP Up and Gil Up materia (or whatever theyre called). Use Clouds Apocalypse weapon (which you can get in the ancient forest) and Cids Scimitar weapon (which you get in the underwater reactor, i think), because they both have triple materia growth. In this way you will not only level up to 99 in no time, you will also be able to get the Master Magic, Master Summon and Master Command materias much quicker. The first time i played the game, my level ups took ages, because i did it all in the downed-shinra-plane underwater. Which leads me onto one last level up point - if you want to increase your basic stats you can do this indefnitely as well. Each of the 6 monsters in the Gelnika (underwater plane) can be morphen into one of the 6 'sources' in the game, thus providing an eternal source of stats.

I didnt spend too long on 8, but i know it well enough to know that the level up places are on the opposite sides of the world, one on an island called 'The Island Closest To Heaven' and the other on 'The Island Closest To Hell'. The monsters are all on level 100 here, afaik, so be prepared for a tough fight, and use the GF Diablos for 9999 damage!

*Anyway*
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Weh, FF7... how the fup do you beat that big snake-like fvcker? Called the midgar zolom, or something similar. I have just caught me first chocobo and visited the marshy area where sephiroth impaled one of those snake-like thingys ... do i just run away from it or try to kill it ?</font>
    You dont try to kill it now, even if you knock off all its HP, its final attack will kill you. Come back later, and youll beat the crap out of it with you little finger, and to add insult to injury, kill it with little attacks so that it casts the final attack (the 'Beta') and then learn it with Enemy Skills smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Final fantasy 5 (3) had to be the hardest, with a lot of options open like making your characters theifs or warriors or priests....i REALY enjoyed it, i still cant get past he boss in the mountain (you use whip to climb over gorge)</font>
    Wahey!! Someone else who agrees with my liking of Final 5! I wouldnt say it was the hardest though, but Exdeath was a cool bad guy... I finished it, but i cant remember the boss youre talking about...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its easy to *finish* the games ie. defeating the last boss eg sepiroth (can be done easily at around level 50) but defeating the Weapon bosses requires you to have all your characters at level 100 ...</font>
    The first time i finished it i was on level 45, and i didnt have Knights of the Round (it was touch and go though - Barrett and Cid were both poisoned minied frogs, and Cloud was on 300 HP when he got the Limit Break which finished Sephiroth off). As for the Weapon bosses? Thats complete bull****. Ive defeated both weapon bosses at level 65/70. Its very straightforward once you know how to do it. Heres how:

Emerald Weapon
    Emerald is much harder than Ruby. He can deal 9999 damage to all characters in one shot, making him conventionally impossible to beat. There are 2 ways to guard against this (a good way and a bad way wink.gif), but both should be employed. First off, have one character carry the enemy skills materia. There was a skill you could get from the beach plug, down on the coast beside costa del sol. You have to manipulate them to get them to cast it on you. Its called big guard (you can get a version of it in ff9). It casts full Barrier, MBarrier and haste on all your party, but costs 50MP or something. If you have the barrier still active when he casts the 9999 damage spell, it will only do 8888 damage. Wahey. Thats the bad way, but you should cast it at the beginning of the battle anyway. The other way is to use the Final Attack materia in conjunction with Phoenix summon spell. You got Phoenix at the Huge Materia battle at Condor Fort and you can get Final Attack by winning the Gold Saucer Special duel (which becomes available to contest once youve got enough BP and won Omnislash and W-Summon). A tip for the Gold Saucer duels - go into the battle on your limit break, and with mime materia. Use your limit break and mime it again and again. Anyway, with Final Attack and Phoenix, Emeralds big attack will kill you, but Phoenix will bring you all back to life at full HP, AND damage Emerald as well (note that you can only do this once for each star on both Final Attack AND Phoenix, until you have mastered them, and as long as you have enough MP). So thats the basic defence covered. There are of course lots of other things you can do (such as regen), but those are the fundamental necessites. To beat Emerald, you (naturally) have to have Knights of the Round, a summon spell you can get only when you have a gold chocobo. I hope youve been breeding ever since disc 2! KOTR is available on Round Island, an unmarked island on the top right corner of your screen. The Highwind cant land there. Since you have a gold chocobo, (i will only go into breeding details on request) you can get to the Materia cave on Wutai continent as well, where you pick up the vital Mime materia - a piece of rock which copies the last action one of your guys did, FOR FREE! You get the idea. It would be so much better if you had 2 mime materias as well, 1 might not be enough. Try to master it before fighting Emerald. Heres the trick. Give W-Summon, Knights of the Round, a Magic Plus Materia and an MP Plus (at least 1!) to character 1. To make it more impressive, stick MP absorb (which you got in Wutai when Yuffie ran off) onto KOTR. MP Turbo is fun as well. Give mime to the other 2 charcters. Now W-Summon KOTR and get the other 2 characters to mime it. Skip the casters turn and mime it again. DONT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT MIME. Anything else will break the routine, but each mime will cast KOTR twice, for free (it usually costs 250 MP). When he kills you and you come back with Final Attack, you will need to cast KOTR again, which is why using MP absorb is such a good idea - make sure both KOTR and W-Summon are on at least level 2! Mime it until he dies. He has 1 million HP, so work it out yourself how long it will take. Speaking of time, there is one other thing i forgot to mention. The 20 minute limit will not be achievable due to KOTRs ridiculously long time! However, there is an enemy in the underwater reactor, in one screen only. You cant miss him - hes a skeleton in a raft. You fight him in the gold saucer duel sometimes as well. Hes in the cool-looking glass passage, and you can morph him into 'Underwater Materia', which will let you fight Emerald indefnitely.

So thats emerald finished.

Ruby
    After Emerald, Ruby really is easy. The same basic trick is used, but another trick has to be used to start the battle. When you go into the battle, Ruby will be unbeatable. There is nothing you can do to harm him. Then he will remove 2 of your characters from the battle permanently, and stick his claws in the ground. This is the signal that you can actually now deal damage to him, but 2 things also come up from behind, which block you from escaping and do damage occasionally as well. You also have only i chharacter left. Impossible to win.
    So heres the trick. You go into the battle with characters 1 and 3 already dead. Rubys first move will now be to stick his claws into the ground. Character 2 casts phoenix to revive everyone (theres no danger of them being removed after that), and then the character with W-Summon, Hades (which you got in the downed shinra plane) and KOTR attacks. You W-Summon Hades, once on front of you and once behind you. This will give Ruby and his little spiky friends every bad status condition in the book - including Stop. Now W-Summon KOTR and do the mime trick. Ruby wont touch you as you hit him again and again. He will probably start moving again one or 2 turns before he dies, but he'll be too late by then.

Now that youve beaten thhm, go talk to the old man in the house in Kalm. He'll give you all 3 Master Materias for beating Emerald, and a Gold Chocobo for beating Ruby.

And thats how it goes smile.gif

Now to answer the question which was actually asked - I think 6 was the hardest, there were a couple of really difficult bosses (like the one at the top of the magic tower) which proved dead hard to beat. None of them were too hard, but 8 was VERY easy.

Anyway. This is probably the longest post ive ever made to the boards.

A

[This message has been edited by Asuka (edited 24-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Jesus, you dont know much about the FF games do you Asuka? smile.gif

I didn't bother trying to kill those Weapon things at all. I remember running into that guy in the sea and getting killed after about 3 seconds.

• Advertisement

jebus asuka, you like detail don't you...well done for doing it anyway as all the relatively shyte FF7 players will find it very handy. And as i asked, what are your best times for 7,8and 9 with all weapons finished in 7+8,if all cards too in 8 and 9 and all limits for 7+8, and all summons and/or GF's.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

[This message has been edited by Death Sentence (edited 25-07-2001).]

I cant remember my times, id have to go and look up my memory card. For me, its more of a triumph to have longer times, because it means im better overall, ive levelled up more and ive done more quests.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

ffx has been out for a while in japan now so here's a question for ff fans. Wait a year for the english translation or learn japanese and import it? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 25-07-2001).]

one little thing you forgot to mention asuka smile.gif -

when your leveling up in the final dungeon, besides just fighting the pots, you should also try and come across the bouncing red balls as often as possible. they give you absolutely massive exp points, the most of any monster in the game i think, and they do alomst no damge to you of any kind and are p|ss easy to kill. they're in the same area as the pots, but i think there was 1 particular spot they appeared very often...

just startin to remember how much i love ff, never really played 8 properly... never played 9 at all, must give that a go sometime

just outa curiousity, what appeals to most of you about the game, the battles/tactics as shown above or the story line/character involvement/atmosphere setting aspect??

Well, chubby it would take about a year to learn Japanese anyway so wait for the pal version. I have played 7+8 quickly and for ages. My longest time on 7 was about 75HRS and on 8 i over-clocked the timer by 7 hours i think and it turned red.Sliotar, those red balls give you massive exp and ap, have any of you ever brought aeris back to life sucessfully in FF7? i haven't done it yet.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

erm bring her back 2 life?? i dont think u can m8

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by popinfresh: Jabba, how long did you take to kill them?

</font>

tops it took me 5 mins but all my ppl were lvl. 100 with ultimate weapons and all were junctioned properly

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~mcm/bob.html <
    LOL!

i do remember the red balls giving massive exp. but little or no ap. i do remember reading somethin about bringing aeris back to life, but i think it was a glitch or a bug rather then a legitemit in-game thing, not sure though..... all though it would explain why she can get to the same level of limit breaks as everyone else. it would take a rediculous amont of time to get her final limit break befor she dies. and is'nt there a weapon that only aeris can use that you get after she dies???

r u talking about the red balls in the northen cave? if so they gave HUGE exp. points. and about aeris my m8s walkthrough is a complete and utter breakdown of ff7 and i didnt c nething about her coming back 2 life/surviving

No jabba, it's a glitch in the programming alright. It happens when sephiroth is about to stab her in the ancient city, when you go under the pond and down the stairs.Cloud is controlled by Sephiroth to kill her but there was a way to shake him out of the trance and tell Aeris too move out of the way or something,but i have seen it done before but i can't do it myself. And the red balls only give you a paltry amount of AP, so whoever said it...you were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It would take a hell of a lot longer than a year to learn Japanese to a level where you'd be able to play an untranslated Final Fantasy game smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wait a year for the english translation or learn japanese and import it?</font>

Coming out in the USA before Xmas in English. W00t. smile.gif

(And there's a proper chip out for the PS2 now as well...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    It would take a hell of a lot longer than a year to learn Japanese to a level where you'd be able to play an untranslated Final Fantasy game smile.gif

Coming out in the USA before Xmas in English. W00t. smile.gif

(And there's a proper chip out for the PS2 now as well...)
    </font>
    Really? I heard it won't be out in the states til summer 2002. If it's out around xmas and no european release in sight then I guess I'll chip my ps2 and import it smile.gif.

i believe you'll find her name is Aeris, not Aerith smile.gif mr. final fantasy know it all :P

Death Sentance - the ability to bring Aerith back to life (in an almost mythical scene, at this stage) was removed from the European copy of FF7 and most of the American copies, much like the Test O enemies.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

I thought FF8 was the best FF game. However, it was laughably easy if you got Eden and even if you didn't, you could just use Lion Heart of Selphie's "The End"

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sliotar:
    i believe you'll find her name is Aeris, not Aerith smile.gif mr. final fantasy know it all :P</font>
    Lol! Her name was pronounced 'Aerith' in the japanese copy, although granted it wasnt written 'Aerith' because they were writing it in katakana smile.gif Her name was Aerith in the American copy, and was only changed (wrongly) for the European copy. I always used Aerith (except the first time i played it when i didnt know), because i think it sounds better.

The name 'Utai' was also changed for the European copy, on the grounds that it was difficult to say without another letter, hence the European 'Wutai'. Some other things were changed, and you'll have to get used to me using the former pronunciations - for instance, i always refer to 'All' materias as 'Enemy-All' materias.

A

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sliotar:
    i do remember reading somethin about bringing aeris back to life, but i think it was a glitch or a bug rather then a legitemit in-game thing, not sure though..... all though it would explain why she can get to the same level of limit breaks as everyone else. it would take a rediculous amont of time to get her final limit break befor she dies. and is'nt there a weapon that only aeris can use that you get after she dies???</font>
    The Aerith Ressurection Scene was only a very short and inconclusive scene, which is why it was taken out of most copies of the game. Originally, when the game was written, the idea was that she would come back to life, but between deadlines, space on the CDs and general opinion of the storyline, it was taken out. HOWEVER, it is completely possible to get all Aerith's weapons and limit breaks before she dies, and i have done so at least twice (well, only once for the weapons - her second best weapon (the umbrella) is virtually impossible to get the only time you can - the Gold Saucer on the first disc.)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

the earlier ones were very hard but out of the most recent 3 ff9 was definiteley the toughest cause the earlyparts were tough unless you had a big level

Advertisement