Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did we kill it??

Options
  • 26-07-2001 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Okey i'm just ever so curious.

I'm a dreamcast owner and i was wondering what turned the majority of players off the console.

I mean its internet gaming was getting really good (PSO Q3) and there wasnt a load of rubbish it actually had alot of good games.

But something went wrong and now its practicly dead and it didnt even last as ong as the saturn which did have alot of major faults. I mean we coulda at least kept it alive until Nights2??? you people make me sick.

I aint trying to be a expert on anything i just wanna know why?

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

OK first things first AAHAHAHAHHAHHAA U BOUGHT A DREAMCAST AHAHAHAAHH.

i think it didnt do so well cos it had a poxy amount of launch titles. the internet gaming thing was delayed 4 quite a while in ireland. ( that put me off getting 1) The damn games themselves just didnt look 2 appealing/original. also its internet connection speed was a 33.6k modem :/ and that just wouldnt do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cos people were waiting for the PS2? Mayhaps?

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you people make me sick.</font>

Erm, its hardly "our" fault is it now. I didnt by one cause I didn't see enough games i'd like on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

i bought a dreamcast quite late in its life, and my bigest regret was not having bought one sooner.

The launch line-up was exceptional, perhaps the best in recent memory. It played host to some of the most memorable, original and stylish games of the last decade. In its short lifetime, it produced a huge ammount of quality titles.

The online aspect is where the Dreamcast got it wrong in my opinion. It was extremely hard to navigate the internet without a keyboard and a mouse, and the majority of online options in games were unambitious. Only towards the end with Quake3 and PSO did we see something worth playing online.

I guess people didn't buy it because it wasn't a Playstation and because it was hardly marketted.

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Poor software, no enough developers, nothing to look foward too and a console that was released too early and therefore under powered.
    it failed in Japan *|*, so it fails all over.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

-wasnt goin at ye swifty with make me sick comment tha was aimed at people who said they wont buy cause its not a sony console.

-i understand the bad start with the internet but every console has a bad start PS2 had a disaster of a start involving region coding with its dvd and stocks.

I agree about the line up but i was hoping after the last selection of games (jet set radio Shenmue MSN etc) that sales would start perking up. And admit it no fighter can beat soul calibur

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Jabba_the_SLUT

poor blitzkrieg. try flogging it off in the buy and sell. i saw 1 that came with 3 games + 2 demo discs and 2 controllers 4 a 100 quid smile.gif

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~mcm/bob.html <
    LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I bought a dc also late in its life, personally i'm saddend by its failure as it just proves to me that originality, quality games and innovation don't sell consoles, marketing does. I have got 10 games for the dc so far and not one of them bad, 3/4 being AAA titles, i'm going to continue to buy dc games for as long as i can so i can play it when ppl are arguing over whether FIFA 2005 looks better on X-Box 2 or PS3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Too True Jimi. Sega just did not have the Money to Market the Machine properly from day 0ne. It's such a shame as i have only seen one game on the PS2, GT3, to surpass anything on the Dreamcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ok it's dead now, but in Soul Calibur and Tony Hawks 2 it's got two games that are well worth keeping it for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

There is some good news though..............Sony Shares took a dive today! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, I'm gonna be a cheap whore and wait to buy one 2nd hand for not much money.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I bought one right before Christmas, and I've loved it. At this stage, the games are all pretty cheap (even new releases are pretty cheap - £35 for CT2). Every game I've bought on it has been stunning, and I don't regret having bought it at all. Now, that PS2 that's collecting dust in my living room.. every time I look at that, I just think of all the better things I could have bought for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

DC had better games than the PS2 etc... but Joe Public didn't want to touch it because it Wasn't A Playstation, essentially.

Bit of a shame. I don't think anyone who bought a DC regrets their purchase now though - okay, so there are only about 15 to 20 more games coming out for the machine (some of them are blinders mind, PSO2 and Shenmue II anyone?), but games are cheap and there's a catalogue of software there that'd keep you going for years.

Top little console... Wonder if the homebrew market will keep it going? I know a fair few folks working on arcade conversions and stuff for it in their spare time, for free release on the 'net...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

think of me as joe public. to get me to spend a considerable ammount of money on a games console, your going to have to impress me with something very flashy. when i saw the playstation, i saw a massive leap in graphics. i saw final fantasy 7, which intriuged me, as joe public has'nt been introduced to rpg's in a big way yet. and everybody was talkin about it so i buy a playstation.

when i saw the dc, i see a minor leap in graphics. i saw a lot of arcade conversions, that did'nt look like they would be fun for longer than 5 mintues.

the thing is, they did'nt "look" great. but perhaps once you put the games under closer scrutiny they may well turn out to be great. but joe public will never put a game under close scrutiny if it does'nt look good to start off.

sega just did'nt have the muscle to create an image for the dc that everyone would by into.

and maybe most of the games were great fun for a short time only???

Crasy taxi should be limited right?

Strange as it might sound it wasnt we spent months in school last year playing it, one of the sixth formers failed one of his exams because he played too much crasy taxi.

-and joe public both ps2 cause ps1 had good games. and because of dvd support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

All that cash was well spent, if only to play Shenmue biggrin.gif
    Can't wait for Shen2, it will severly own my pants.

I have to say Shenmue was a excellent game and i luved playing every second of it.....I cant wait for 2 it looks like a stonker!!!

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

cos EA Sports didnt make games for it, maybe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

quite possibly

• Advertisement

Sometimes i wished EA rot in hell.... They created the reg joe gamer with their constant fifa and other games. Games which truley are beutiful in how they were designed and originality get ignored just to play another fifa game. I own one FIFA and it prob the same as current one (fifa 95 on megadrive)

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

fact remains though that if you dont have 'popular' games developers on board i.e. EA Sports then companies are gonna have a hard time selling their consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Em.. I have a pc.. and em i have a Console (PS1) i use my pc 99.999% of the time and i would still use it 99.999% of the time if i had a PS2 and DC etc.. Who needs a Console when u have this monster..

Ok the on going upgrades majorly suc but bleh blah.. Pc rox0rs

Uhmmm Adren

wrong topic

you shoulda posted tha on the xbox v gamecube v ps2 post like everyone else.

This topic is asking wha went wrong with the dreamcast not if its better then PC.

I personnaly saw the only problem being the general advertising and support of the internet as the main probs.

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

oooo thats cunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

hmm it did not have very many good games on it but crazy taxi code veronica pso and quake 3 were very good but a few good games dont make a console and the presence of the ps2 was imminant and the slow modem speed was a pain for surfing

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

Advertisement