Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomshardware rant

• 08-02-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Haven't done the rounds on the technical websites for a good few months, but recently cos of a new job have had to get back up to speed on a number of things quickly..

But one thing that struck me was how terrible tomshardware has become, I mean somewhere in there underneath all the "sponsored shopping" links and pictures is some decent information, but ****ed if im gonna try and spot it.. way too much hassle.

When did all this crap spring up? Either way its now been struck off my usual bookmarks and resigned to the "check only if necessary" category.... awful shame :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I've gotten pretty good at digging through the endless muck that clogs up tech websites. To be honest it still has a few good points. They do get new technology before anyone else sometimes, examples being the tualatin celeron and the new intel banias processor ( pentium-m , NOT p3-m or p4-m). There is also a decent archive of stuff from way back when. They also review a very wide range of hardware, and most of the time, they DO know what they are talking about.

There is a lot of nonsense advertising on the site, which started when they thought they were doing people a favour by linking to cnet everywhere, and now with "toms price guide". But I can ignore that.
    What I can't ignore is the fact that tom seems to be giving his muppet writers far too much freedom, which they do not deserve. Details are frequently left out of articles, and they have been caught out a few times now ( e.g. a "2.66 ghz" p4 preview with a picture of an old williamette chip ). In a recent article on upgrading slot1 systems, they neglected to mention which motherboard they were running the new chip on. Some of his writers also seem to be blatant zealots, whereas tom himself usually just wants to stir ****. I've written to the various authors several times, only ever got a reply from tom and his reply looked automatic.

To sum up, I'd recommend the site to people who will not take everything on it at face value.

Advertisement