Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low connection speed?

Options
  • 08-02-2003 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am getting a very low connection to the net from the 029 exchange and both the Netsmart and 96fm (UTV) numbers - What is causing this?

My connection speed at the moment is 14400 bps.

This weekend is the first weekend it is so bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

common problem that

do give a detailed description of what you have and have not eliminated as a potential source of grief , dates atmospheric factors etc etc

be logical
    be very logical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

once, i suddenly started connecting at about 1,200 ( :eek: ), turned out an ignorant builder had hacked into my line, working on something else ...but it's probably just netsmart, mine has been *really* slow & 'bursty' over the last few days
    i'm dropping these losers asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I am still getting very low bps.
    I am with Netsmart but when I dial up using UTV & Eircom - I get pretty bad connection speeds as well.

What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ring 1901 and tell Eircom you have a crackle on the line, they'll increase the line gain, could be they split your line, as they seem to do quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Yep a faulty line is most likely the problem. I've had slow connections a few times and it was always the line. The The eircon engineers have always been dead sound and sorted the problem very quickly even though I am with UTV.

If you report the fault they have to deal with it within 24 hours and in my experience always have.

You are paying enough for line rental anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ye, what would be the best way to get eircom to enhance your line?

Im on esat no limits for internet, but eircom for everything else.
    Line seems to be pretty poor, although i usually connect at about 42-45kbps - fair bit of loss, choke, and dodgy pings.

I think the reason i was getting crappy pings etc with the eircom vdsl trial was that i failed the line test. I was watchin the engineer when he was testing it i think i only got like 3 bars (in the orange or yellow afaik).

I think the only reason they gave it to me was that they could hardly refuse me cause of the trial.

After the trial, i kept getting like 31.2kbps for ages, but i managed to tweak it up with a few bits and pieces, including a line enhancer thingymabob they gave me to put on all my sockets with dsl.

The house is only 3 years old btw, and eircom or esb put the new green wires up on the telegraph poles there about 2 and a half years ago, if thats any help...

I remember someone saying a while back that when u pick up ur phone when on the internet, and hear lots of crackling and tones etc, that uv got a bad line. Well i get that ye.

So, what should i say when i ring them up?

I simply told them that my internet connection had slowed down & that there was noise on the line and could they please sort it out. And they did.

Be nice to the engineer and offer him a cuppa. Being nice often pays big dividends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ye., what will they do when they come out though?
    is it much hassle, like, does he go taking out the lines etc?
    Also, does it cost much?

Doesn't cost anything more than what you are already paying fpr linr rental, which is plenty.

What they do depends on whats causing the fault.

Just phone them and let them get on with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

when u pick up ur phone when on the internet, and hear lots of crackling and tones, etc, that uv got a bad line

that loud, screechy-beepy-shushy noise is normal when you're on the net - it's the data being transferred to and from your computer.

To listen for line noise, pick up the phone >when the line is available<, press a number: any number, and listen for a quiet ssssshhhhhhhh noise.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement