Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship Manager

Options
  • 09-02-2003 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Anyone like CM? Any tips for beating the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

yes.

Play a flat back four with full backs pushing on to midfield.
    have one midfielder sitting in front of the back four. This is the most important position in the game. Get a good player.

Three across the middle, two up front.

Buy Kim kallstrom. He's savage and only a million in the 01-02 season version.

ah i could be here all night, go look up a cheat site you lazy fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Plenty of boards.ie people over at www.cmeire.com, a CM site for Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i recommend mine which has tactics and good players to buy.

The next version of championship manager is out in March. The demo is out on the 28th of Feb.

The CMEire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Flat back four, the most important thing is to have a good goalie, at least one good central defender, central midfielder and striker. You can make do with dross in the other postions if you have a strong spine to the team.

Them goalie is awful important probably the most.

Don't play a 4-4-2 it's just not very good. And never play with wingers, they just don't do dick.

A flat back four, three across the middle of the park, one attacking midfielder/forward running forward to the the two strikers is normally the way I'd go.
    4-3-1-2 is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I find a back line of 3 central defenders with 2 wing backs, 2 central midfielders with 1 just in front of them and then finish it off with two quality strikers. Try Ronaldinho as ur attackind midfielder hes 15million but worth it if ur over a wealthy club, he'll get u a mountain of goals i speak from experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

The game is all about team orders.

I use a 4-1-3-2 with my left and right backs pushing up and my three central midfielders running forward.

Get a scout list generator if your having trouble signing good players. It's kind of cheating but there good if your playing with a crap side and are trying to bring them up divisions.

Also Kim Kallstrom ain't that good there are better players around.

Originally posted by Steve_o
    Try Ronaldinho as ur attackind midfielder hes 15million but worth it if ur over a wealthy club, he'll get u a mountain of goals i speak from experience

He is my favourite player in the game. I always try and get him and he alwasy gets 40 goals a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

just buy to madeira, hes portugese and easily the best player in the game (until about 2008 at least). he scored 34 in his first season for me up front with RVN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It's kind of cheating
    Kind of nothing, its cheating :)

It's kinda like having a crystal ball. I'm sure Sir Alex has one, why can't I? I'm just leveling out the playing field.

Well?

:p

• Advertisement

I've never used one of those scouting downloads though I admit most of my favourite cheap but brilliant buys come from chatting to people who also play. Though I'd give them some good lads as well so it's kinda fair.

I've never bought To Medeira though, he's kind of a cheat I think I heard that Antonio Lopes (his "real" name) is a CM scouter in portugal. Awful cheeky but I'd have done the sam eif I had the chance cheeky funny.

Does anyone ever play with unreal players. Now that would be a challenge. Must try it some time.

> I heard that Antonio Lopes (his "real" name) is a CM scouter in portugal

WAS not is :)

I friend of mine applied to be a scout once and got offered the job to scout Shamrock Rovers.

He didn't take it as he had made up a ton of stuff on his application form and was afraid he'd get in trouble if caught. I think they pay 20 a week while you’re scouting a club plus they cover your expenses.

I wish he had of got it as you'd be all trying to buy the Irish Brazilian sensation that is Fanjinho as he scored for fun all across Ireland.

Apparently if you play Max Database Mbabazi and Glen Growe become beastly. Actually I remember John O'Flynn (playing for Cork City now formerly of Peterborough) and George O'Callaghan also now of Cork (formerly bradford I think) being absolute animals in CM.

Hmmm maybe the League of Ireland will be rich pickings in CM4. I wonder how they pick their scouts? They seem to get it spot on a lot of the time some young lad you've never heard of becomes great at 24 in CM and then pops his head up in real life about the same time. Most impressive, probably their greatest asset is the detail in the scouting even more so than the match engine.

Vaggabond did you guys really fire Antonio "To Madeira" Lopes? I suppose he deserved it. Good joke though.

I did'nt sack him its not my part of the company; but he does not do research anymore is all I can say..

The way it works is that every country (or large club) has a head researcher, and then clubs themselves have researchers who are co-ordinated by the head researchers. I suppose like me here, a large part of getting in is being in the right place at the right time. As if a club have a researcher, then they have a researcher and we dont need one, and to be a researcher you need to know about the club so you know about the up and coming 16 year olds and the long standing injury that your star player has or how player x is crap in big games and woeful under any kind of pressure and that kind thing..

Once the data is submitted its tested and checked over and over again, so making Glenn Crowe as good as Alan Shearer with lots of 20’s just isn’t going to work I’m afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

CM is far too bloody addictive!!

I took Waterford UTD to the champions league with a 4-3-1-2...
    I'm currently taking Shrewsbury to the premier league with 2-3-1-3-1. Makes sense when ya see the tactics pic ;) It scores and conceeds, but scores more (kev keegan style, we'll score more then you). Usefull for the first division, would probably get me killed in the prem league :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

a little gem is Stefan Selakovic (Sweden) esp. if your in a top division. He's cheap (900k) and you could sell him after about 2 weeks for £6million+. ;) . a good keeper I find is Nigmatulin from Russia ~£3.5 million, a bargain but Celtic always seem to snap him up early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Ronaldhino is the best player in the 01/02 champ man game.

Other bargain buys:
    Mark Kerr - Falkirk : 21 yrs old and alot of stats at 20 already. After a few seasons he's brilliant. Bargain at £150,000.

Louis Saha - Fulham : Still quite young and plays better in the game than he does in real life(sorry fulham fans out there :) ) Should only cost you a few million and his stats rocket after a few seasons.

Cherno Samaba - Millwall : Ok, everyone knows about this bargain buy. But at 17 yrs old his stats look very impressive. Take him off 'General' training and put him into 'Skill' training for the first few seasons and by the time he's 21 he'll be fairly damn good.

Mark Van Bommel - PSV : Excellent leader and brilliant central midfielder. Costs a fair bit but well worth it. Remains loyal to the club and scores the odd time too. I think i remember him getting more assists than appearances one season for me. :)

Ok ok, i'll shut up now.

Cheers.

Originally posted by ManWithThePlan
    Louis Saha - Fulham : Still quite young and plays better in the game than he does in real life(sorry fulham fans out there :) )

Don't worry about it.

King Saha will return to his best

eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Cherno Samba - The Greatest!

When the games starts he is 16, play him straight away, his stats dont show improvement till he is 18/19, but man does he score, first season in Division 1 he scored 32 in 40 matchs and second season 21 in 45 in the premiership. Buy the age of 19 he should be captian of England under 21.

Another class millwall player is Steven Reid of course, simply class on the right.

If your not managing in England get Mirel Radoi, Romanian defender, he is simply the best. Also Capucho from Porto, he is pushing on at 30, but well worth the 1mil u will have to pay for him and will go till 36+ performing at any level.

And finaly Ibrahim Said, Egyptian, sw/def/def mid and is great in all of them, stats go throught the roof!!

The list of 'Essential' buys is endless. Great place to look is Sweden, so many cheap buys to pick up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

This guy is available for English clubs as far as i remember. You will just have to wait for the work premit. Also Taribo Weste, bargin for free. A must buy for any defense.

Ashly Lythe (sp?) at leicster as well gets to be very good.

There are others but i can't remember them now

Radoi

Tried to get him to Millwall for 3 seasons, he played every Romanian match in that time and never could I get a work permitt.

West is the bargain of the game (depending on what patch your running).

Definitly one to try and get a Nigerian who plays for Shaktar, Cant spell it of hand Julias Ag******, also N'Daiye, plays for shaktar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Julius Agahowa

Niugerian Wonderkid, stared in the WC, does the flips 50 times after scoring

Is 17 or so in the game

Julias Agh'**** is rated at only 0.5mil, but you will prob have pay up to 9mil depending who else is bidding, he will after 2/3months go to Big European team.

Play him in behind the front 2, will get loads of assists and can fire them in big time. After a season in a top flight team he will be worth 20mil+.

N'Daiye, the defend, is a great utility plyer, he has high teens in most stats and can play sw/def/def mid

Both pla for Shaktar and might have probs getting work permitts in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

Anyone know where i could download this game??

doesnt matter wat version it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its avilable from any good shop and demoof the new game is out in 9 days so you might as well wait till then.

it will be worth the wait.

Im sure your not talking about warez - cos thats bad :)

You can get the CM 01/02 demo from www.sigames.com; or wait just over a week and you will get the CM4 beta demo...

CM demo's are for a half a season, so there is a huge amount of gameplay there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i always prefer to play the wing backs, 5-3-2. But with the 2 wing backs not playing much behind the midfielders so i can cover the flanks..

And i would definately agree with the young swedish players, first thing i do at the start of a game is send a scout over to sweden.. can pick up some real ace players for dirt cheap..

a player i always tend to buy at start of game is Mark Kerr from Falkirk.. Turns out to be a real star

D'Alessandro is also class

if only i was at home i would look out my shortlist for more, but ive not played CM in ages now

that and im eagerly awaiting for CM4 to come out \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Its crap the way they've waited so long to bring out the new version, when the season's nearly over now. They'll make more money on an update next season I suppose.

• Advertisement

Ah at least they're taking their time to get it right.

A rare ****ing exception among games developers. I'm looking at you firaxis.

Advertisement