Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

its to bloody hot

• 09-02-2003 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right im trying to cool the damb computer . ive tried 2 different fans one can do up to a xp 2800 ( coolermaster xdream hac-v81) and another coolermaster its says its designed for overclocking both show have the cpu temp at 49c its not my day at all today ..

i need a direct link to anywhere i can buy a cpu fan that will put my temp down to about 30 without load and 50 with . im reely pissed off atm more so that i dont want to use the computer while its runnign that hot . so all i use it atm for is a proxy nothing at all .. ive been looking at some but no where i have looked has a link for a place to buy the thing .

ive been on komplett and am looking at some but im not buying anything else that is not in somone else's machine and that u have used and would swear your life on .. thx lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Does your case have good airflow, i had the same problem as you until i stuck a nice big 120mm onto the side of my case and now shes grand, 25c cpu and 18case, under stress the cpu can hit 30c but the case neaver moves by more than a few degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

got 2 120 mm fans hear will put them in tonight . also got 2 80 mm ones and will put them in also . till then .. im still fuming with myslef ... i think im doin somthn wrong . also anyone got a buy link to the artic silver thermal paist >???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Get either an Alpha PAL 8045, Thermalright AX-7, Thermalright SLK-800 or Swiftech MX462.

Otherwise go h2o.
    Changed last week and the temps pwn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

An extra 4 fans sounds like overkill, surely you had some fans in there already? Don't tell me you were running an xp 2800+ with no extra case ventilation...

What is the temp under full load?

sorry its a xp 2100 i have in the machine the cpu fan is good up to a xp 2800 ... well it says that

ye i know it sounds like over kill but if it works i dont mind drastic things . now looking at water cooling as a option as i dont mind paying 150+ if it ends up workin

as for what its at under full load i havent tried it yet

also the cpu core seems to be running at 48 and the chip lower ( thats what the bios is telling me )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sure ya could have bought a p4 with all the money you're prepared to spend on cooling...

Anyway, I dunno why you are drawing a distinction between "cpu core" and cpu. Unless your board is able to measure from the on-die thermal diode AND can read from the thermistor in the socket ( unlikely ), you will only have one cpu temp reading.

If it was capable of measuring both temps though, your readings would make sense, as the cpu core itself will be a few degrees ( at least ) hotter than the bottom of the cpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the xp2100+ palomino is actually the hottest chip AMD have released heat wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

If you want a really good air cooler get a Thermalright SLK800 .They are available here http://www.overclockers.co.uk .They are dear tho at £44 sterling .
    I would recomend watercooling if you have the money tho.
    My Temps at the minute are 38C Load on a 1900XP @ 1.85v doing 1764 (This is not the 1900 i'm trying to sell on the for sales board,i have two). This is after running Prime 95 for 3 hours. Also this is stuff i made meself and isn't as good as stuff you would buy commercially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zuperstar

Why dont u check out this site : http://www.wetandchillychips.co.uk/

Its expensive tho, but worth it in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Just out of interest, what's the max temp that you should really let a CPU run at for anything length of time? Does this vary among the different CPU cores?

I originally thought they were fine up to the high 50s, but this thread has made me think again...

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, what's the max temp that you should really let a CPU run at for anything length of time? Does this vary among the different CPU cores?

I originally thought they were fine up to the high 50s, but this thread has made me think again...

There's nothing wrong with your temps going into the 60's . I should think that computers like Dell's run at high temps as they don't have much cooling but are very stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

If you're not getting any lockups at that temp perhaps you shouldn't get so worried about it..?

Have you done any stress tests with your current setup? If your're not having any problems then why worry. I guess it's understandable to try to push overall temps down, but if the cpu is running ok why worry.

I guess that most people (on the boards) will replace their cpu way before it fails, even if it's running hot and is being overclocked.

ye its just i dont think that it is a acceptable level for overclocking . if i was to overclock i can see the temps going into the 70's easy . last night i saw it on 53c and that was when i was just looking at web sites .

has anyone bought stuff from that wet and chilly website want to buy a water cooling kit but want to make sure that the place i buy from are good and do usualy have teh stuff in stock anyone know if there are any better sites ?

Try watercooling.de
    Tis a good site.
    Delivery was delayed but that was due to the depot in england.
    I'm happy with my purchase. havent put the block on the nb but my cpu is 10*c lower than the mobo now :)

thx ive a question how do you hold the resiv in place inside the pc or externaly ? do they need mutch upkeep/any ?

Originally posted by elexes
    thx ive a question how do you hold the resiv in place inside the pc or externaly ? do they need mutch upkeep/any ?

I didnt get a res, i just got a filll tank for it.
    Heres a pic of it atm, havent fixed it up fully yet.

h2o.jpg

Tis nice and easy aswell

dose the tubeing come with it ? hmm looks good tho . ill have to ook on my mobo tho to see if it has those 4 holes around the cpu cant rember offhand if it dose . guessing there is another way to hold teh water cooling down . stupid question is thermal paist still required ?

dose the tubeing come with it ? hmm looks good tho . ill have to ook on my mobo tho to see if it has those 4 holes around the cpu cant rember offhand if it dose . guessing there is another way to hold teh water cooling down . stupid question is thermal paist still required ?

I got some AS3 with mine but the block in unbelievable smooth, so so shiny.

I got a block that doesnt use the holes, only uses the ziff lock clips. Tis nice and handy, I had to get an AX7 for this board cause my alpha pal wouldnt fit.

The block fits on nicely and is easy to take off too.

thx will look at one now ... how mutch did yours end up costing you ???

• Advertisement

thx will look at one now ... how mutch did yours end up costing you ???

Cost me 340 for the rad, cpu+gpu+nb sinks, flow meter and electronic counting device for revs, pump and fill tank and some artic silver 3.
    Also got some jellies with my order :)

is water cooling quiet? I've heard the pumps can be a bit noisey. Is it quieter than fans?

Pumps are very near silent you would have to have your ear right up to them to hear any noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

It all depends on the type of Pump.

Not so true!
    Mine is slighty damaged and makes a fair bit of noise.
    I'm getting replacement parts for it to fix it so i hope it is fixed \o/

When it works it is quiet silent. BioHazrD's is lovely and quiet tbh

Advertisement