Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

silent PSU

• 09-02-2003 5:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

hello
    was wondering if any1 could help me.
    I want to buy a silent PSU from a handy euro place and not too expensive. If any1 knows a place - komplett have enermax silent advertised but not in stock until march.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

If youre in Dublin, I think Maplin had one or two in stock a short while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you want to save some money... Open up your psu. Find the wires going to the fan ( not very difficult ). Cut them off, and bring them outside the psu. Now you can plug them into one of your harddrive/cdrom power connectors, and you will be able to see how loud it is on 12 v, 7 v and 5v. I've mine rigged up to 5v, pretty much silent. If the fan is just crap and makes loads of noise on 7v or even 5v, replace it with another fan, its only held in by 4 screws.

Molex connector is wired up like this:

[PHP]
    YELLOW BLACK BLACK RED

12V 0V 0V 5V
    [/PHP]

So if you connect the red fan wire to (YELLOW) 12v, then connecting the black fan wire to (BLACK)0V gives you 12v. Connecting the black fan wire to (RED)5V instead would give you 12 - 5 = 7V

Connecting the red fan wire to (RED)5V and the black fan wire to 0V gives you 5v.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

You might wanna check out thermaltakes silent ps. I got one ordered from elara(irish) should be here this week sometime. http://www.elara.ie/thermalp.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I would go for one of Elara's Antec true power supply's .Very good power supply and very quiet . I have the 480W one . The Antec's would be better than the Enermax aswell

Advertisement