Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd popups

Options
  • 09-02-2003 1:25pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am using with 2k,
    I have a static IP, and I have a firewall up all the time (Norton Security) does the job, but I sem to be getting these wierd popups every 2 days or so, its not a popup like in irc, its a dialog box and you can just click "ok"
    I've gotten 2 different types, one advertising about chatting on fones using one of those 88190 nums or something, and another one about getting enlargments(maybe they know! :p)

But it goes along the lines of this "message from name to myip on 2/9/2003 and gives the time"

I've scanned for spyware, nothing found, even done a netstat while the popup box had opened, didn't find anything strage, it looks like something along the lines of netsend.. any ideas?
    I'm not a network btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They're using the Windows Messenger service. Disable it and it all goes away. There were a few threads on Nets/Comms about it lately (I'm too lazy to get them for you but search Nets/Comms for "messenger" and you'll find them)

You're right btw - it is something along the lines of netsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Hiya, this is a (pretty new) spam tactic. Essentially there's a service called 'Messenger' running by default on your PC (Nothing to do whatsoever with the MSN Messenger type thing). It's accessed using the 'Net send' command. Spamvertisers (can i register that as my own word?) simply do a 'net send' to a range of IP addresses with the ad text. Advice is to use a firewall (which you are already doing), or disable the messenger service in computer management.

HTH,

Check out Messenger Popup Spam article for more info.

:)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Heard of this happening ,got a link for more info on it ?

I use trillian and never got them usually happen to peeps i know while they playing games.

kdjac

Advertisement