Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C and C Generals

Options
  • 09-02-2003 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

thoughts on C and C generals ? What yea all think ? i havnt heard much about it but then again i havnt looked for much about it,its out soon afaik, i liked R Alert 2 as it was a nice lil rts game you could play on net for like 10min - 1 hour games, not like some rts which go on for hours and hours..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hear its very good ... C&C finally being dragged into the 21st century. I've been told that the "tank rush" is back, which isn't good (first faction to build enough tanks to rush the opponents base wins).

Anyone know if Kane is in it?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

No NOD no GDI (ie no kane :( , didnt he die tho? :p )

It looks very very good and the system specs are there to match.
    Totally new sides. Apparently you can even dig tunnels?

In Tiberian Sun (didnt like ra2 for some reason) tanks were a bit useless. Sure if you built enough they could be effective but otherwise useless. Especially considering the damage bombers, commandos (both faction's) and disruptors could do.

Sometimes you had no choice tho :)

Its out on the 14th i believe
    Can pre-order at play.com for €43 delivered or so. (last i checked)
    Apparently it uses gamespy tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In RA 2 tanks were amazing....multy player could turn into a race of who can make most tanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Generals is out this friday 14th,I dont know much about the game contents because i deliberately decided not to look at any of the units or buildings...so it would be more of a surprise when i play it.RA 2 was good but yuri's revenge was just stupid.Generals graphics look really cool especially the nuke effect and it's gonna be strange using construction vehicles to build structures.btw smyths have an special offer ( kinda ) .They say if you send a text message to a certan number than show the text message you recieve back to the guy @ the till they will give you $ 10 yoyo'z off.......ne 1 try this before when they had it for other games ???

COMBATCOW

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv been playing it since Friday:

It may not be what you expect. There are 3 armys: USA, CHina and the GLA (Global Liberation Army). Its the GLA that can build tunnel networks between their structures.

The game is set 20 years from now so most weapons/units are ones we are familiar with from the TV.

MY big problem with the game is that is one big propaganda ad from the USA. The first USA mission is to go in to Bagdad find the "Scud Threat". 30 secs in to the mission the GLA use chemical scuds on the civilian population... next mission is hunting terrorists in Yemen.... that them has carried on from their.

Game play is good the enmy AI is tough in campain games. The harder you attack the harder he counter attacks or speeds up his offensive.

Some cool things include the ability to build upgrades to units, for example flashbangs for troops. You can load trrops in to a Chinook helicopter and fly them to a enemy building, they then fastrope/abseile on to the rooof and storm the building. If they have flash bangs they suffer lower causualties (and u see the flashbangs going off :D ) New units become available only as you get promoted and that depends your current progress through the level. You can use your promotion points as you see fit for that level (eg: buy Air Strike capabilities). A level editior and unit editior come with the game (havent looked at em yet though). You can build structures and units in parallel now (i know you could to a certain extent in other C and C's) because you have dozer units that build structures.

Resources ar in the the form of suplies and they are proccessed by a supply centre and collected by Chinook helicopters.

The abundence of Air Units is cool, and other cool things like getting special forces rocket units to "paint" a tarhet with a laser and guide other laser guided weapons on to the target.

Bad things: no naval units.... (grrr....) but there is space for modding or an add on. Building is decentralised and you have to click on the building that is responsible for what you want to build then click what you want to build (so basicly you cant be building units while your not viewing your base or a particular part of your base). The guilde lines that appeared to tell u where a unit is heading are gone (maybe they annoyed some people i found em handy)

This game is fairly heavy on the system. I cant bring the detail higher then low of the Resolution higher then 1024*960 (one aboube the base resolution of 800*600) But it still looks good in low detail (i have a GF 2 and a 1.2 Athalon)

I havent had a chance to get in to the Chinease or GLA campaigns so cant comment too much on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

hope they are doing something new with the series. The RTS has being done to death. Like the AI is it still like..... you attack Computer AI....Computer AI knows exactly where u are......CPu AI sends constant stream of troops to your location until dead ..repeat.

Like is the Waypoint system, or basis unit naviagtion good like u send a group and along the way half yur force gets snagged in the trees on the way their.

Does the AI mass for an attack saving its resources (like u have to) or is it a constant trickle attack (as described above). what new features are in it and how many air units?

Think C&C has a huge amount of ground to catch up compared to Age of Empires/Kings (didnt like Age of Mytholgy)

Advertisement