Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] CIA wanted to play ball with Ansar al-Islam

Options
  • 09-02-2003 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

http://www.prolog.net/webnews/wed/du/Qiraq-kurds-us.Rzn2_DF1.html

The "missing link" between Iraq and al-Qiada just happened to be asked to join the CIA's payroll.

Does Langey now have to accept intrusive weapons inspectors because of a flimsy piece of evidence stating that they "met" with al-Qiada?

Comments

"I had a meeting with a CIA representative and someone from the American army in the town of Sulaymaniya (Iraqi Kurdistan) at the end of 2000. They asked us to collaborate with them ... but we refused to do so," he said.

hmmm, nothing wrong with the CIA wanting to,have spies close to Al'Queda.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dead right Man, but the fact is that the "collaboration" evidence that the US have provided on Iraq/Al Qaeda to date is that Al Qaeda people met other people - including some Iraqi's - in Iraq. Thats it. Nothing more.

The content of those discussions is not the issue in that case.

Here, however, the CIA had contact with the guy, and thats ok...because a reasonable explanation is offered for the conversation. Iraq, however, remains guilty, regardless of explanations.

Also, why all the complaints from the US about Iraq not picking this guy up from Northern Iraq when they allegedly had the chance??? The US obviously had close enough tabs on him to pick him up previously and didnt bother. Sure, the CIA may have been out of their jurisdiction, but then again, its not like the Iraqi's have much real juridistcion in the no-fly zone either.

Again, I guess it boils down to a choice between who to believe. Yes, the US are probably more credible in this regard, but personally, I think anyone who believes either side is telling the full truth is likely to find themselves disappointed.

Interestingly, I note that this guy, and his associated sub-group of Al Qaeda are Kurdish. This is the supposed link with Saddam? Not only is he dealing with Al Qaeda with whom we would be idealogically and religiously opposed to...but the people he's dealing with are Kurdish...the same people that he has apparently repeatedly gassed, and comitted other atrocities against because he does not consider them Iraqi and wants them gone from his nation?

Thats asking a lot of anyone to believe.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

It illustrates the duplicity and utter hypocracy of the united states foreign policy.

They would have no quams dealing with a quasi taliban/terrorist group and care nothing of the people that would suffer if those were to get into a position of power as long as their own interests are served.

There was an interesting piece on Newsnight , tonight which interviewed people working for Iraqi inteligence who were in regular contact with Ansar.
    They also visited the site which was shown in Colin Powells presentation.
    The people there said there was no chemical/biological activity going on...and of course the BBC saw no evidence of any activity.

But the Gas thing was( pun intended) , that the whole place was fenced in by a very high fence....which was littered with "danger" signs for toxic chemicals.
    they also interviewd a representative of the Kurdistan government, who openly admitted, he would like to see the U.S take out AlQ'ueda and ansar!
    There was also a chilling interview with an AlQ'ueda prisoner, who claimed there was a cell operating with 20 or so members in the mountains of the area whose prime function wa Ji-had

I came away from that programme ever convinced of the mad, mad world we are living in.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by Man
    ...that the whole place was fenced in by a very high fence....

I was always vehemently against this War from the beginning, but now I found out that a there is a whole place fenced in by... a very high fence. This is a serious allegation :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement