Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen is not to blame for liverpools poor form

• 09-02-2003 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I can't believe the abuse Owen gets. He is a great striker who gets terrible service because of Houlliers bad tactics. Remember a few years ago when Gullit was in charge at Newcastle and Shearer couldn't score. In fact he wasn't playing well at all. But when they replaced Gullit with Robson, Shearers fortunes turned around immediately and he's been playing amazingly ever since. I think if they got rid of Houllier and got someone like Martin o'Neill, then the same could happen for Owen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Rubbish!

Owen is a striker who has lost his form and deserves be dropped for the next few games irregardless of his profile and past record. You talk about lack of service but he's been getting chance after chance in the last number of games and has wasted them all. Check out his latest unbelievable miss against Middlesbrough yesterday. A header from 6 yards with only a stranded goalkeeper to beat and he couldn't even keep it on target.

It's no coincidence that during Liverpools early unbeaten run in the season Owen was scoring lots of goals and that now that he is scoring nothing LFC are stuggling because they have no other way of playing.

Liverpools tactics put a lot of demand on Owen to score and when he doesn't the team don't win. He's been getting the same amount of scoring chances as he was last August , only difference he can't put them away.

If he wasn't getting chances then I'd agree with your opinions but the fact as anyone can see is that he is getting plenty of opportunites to score and isn't availing of them. That's Owens fault, not the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Check out his latest unbelievable miss against Middlesbrough yesterday. A header from 6 yards with only a stranded goalkeeper to beat and he couldn't even keep it on target.

Well to be fair on him, he was running full pelt at it and leaning back a bit, plus he's never been a good header of the ball. But I do agree his misses are the main reason Liverpool didn't win the last 2 games at least.

Drop him for Baros for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

If owen isnt playing well and others are, drop him in favor of those players.

Its not all Owens fault, its Houliers. When are liverpool fans going to cop on to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

None of Liverpools attacking player are playing well. Surely this cannot be a coincidence. The manager and the tactics are at fault.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

From what I've seen, England get the best out of Owen. Liverpool don't. Did you ever wonder why he always plays well for Liverpool after big international matches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Originally posted by Waylander
    None of Liverpools attacking player are playing well.

what about heskey?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Fair enough Heskey has had a couple of good games but I think he can play alot better then he has even in those games. He does not unsettle defences as much as he used to even in the treble winnig year. Then again he keeps getting played out of position on the wing. I certainly would not say Heskey has been on fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

but he has been playing well the last 3 or 4 games

anyway owen should be dropped in favour of baros in my opinion

Advertisement