Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OE6's Password

Options
  • 09-02-2003 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

i'm running OE6 on XP and OE's password keeps going AWOL :-& :D

Let me explain In the acounts section of OE i have the 'Rember Password' checked and the password entered but when i start OE and try to get my mail i get the enter password box and when i go into the Accounts section again the box is still shecked but no password in the box.

Anyone got a clue what i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I was reading something on http://www.blackviper.com last night, and I think I remember something about a service running under XP that if stopped, XP will no longer remember your outlook password...

Have a look round there, and see if theres anything that helps.

Failing that try support.microsoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep, it's a known bug in XP, a search on the MS support page should find it for you.

or try:

No matter how many times you check the Remember Password box, Outlook/Outlook Express will refuse to save passwords for your account(s). To fix:

Start the Registry Editor
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Protected Storage System Provider \
    Right-click the Protected Storage System Provider key, and from the menu choose Permissions
    On the Security tab, press the Advanced button
    On the Permissions tab, select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Click Apply, and then click Yes on the Security warning dialog
    In the Name column, ensure that the user currently logged on has Full Control access. Click OK. The following message appears:

Do you want to replace the permission on all existing subkeys within Protected Storage System Provider?

Click Yes
    Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
    S-1-5-21-789336058-2025429265-1801674531-1003

Note: For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
    Close the registry editor
    Log restart Windows for the changes to take effect
    The next time you start your e-mail program, enter the password when promted and select Remember Password. This should now be retained.

taken from : http://windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Advertisement