Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OE6 is crippling my computer

Options
  • 09-02-2003 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

My PC is 2 months old. It cost 4 grand. It has 52MB RAM and a 2.53GHZ P4. And yet Outlook Express 6 is crippling it whenever I try to check my email. The only other thing running when I try is one or two IE windows. When I open OE my computer starts to act like my old 200mhz P1. I'm talking slowdown that I might expect running two copies of UT2003, not one IE window and OE. This has been happening for the past two days,and I have to restart my PC using the button at the front every time. I have up to date norton virus definitions, and everything else works fine. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

For a start if you paid 4 grand for a pc that only has 52 meg of ram its 1. A rip off, unless theres some other serious gear in it. 2. Very strange that there is 52 meg of ram in it because RAM comes in multiples of 8. or 3. A typo and you actually meant to type 512.

I'm going to go with 3.

Be sure to back up the settings and mails that you have in outlook first.

You could try uninstalling and re-installing outlook using the add remove programs tool in the control panel. After the uninstall reboot the machine.

Then re-install outlook (depending on OS, but should be on the OS CD)

Then set up your mail account from scratch, dont import the old settings just yet.

Restart your machine again and test it. If its fine well and good, now import your old settings again. If not then theres something else strange afoot....

If after importing your settings the probnlem re-appears, then theres something in those settings causing the problem. If not then its fixed.

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Turn off Norton checking outgoing mail. Makes a big difference. Compress your OE folders.

(there's no way in hell I'd pay four grand for a machine with a 2.5gig processor btw, methinks you were robbed. I wouldn't be using OE either if I had four grand to toss away on hardware)

Advertisement