Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Drummer

Options
  • 09-02-2003 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Alright since theres a post on favourite bass player i figured i might as well throw one on drummers up.

Mine would probly be these in no particular order

1)Steve Gadd- Session drummer,has played with the likes of Clapton and Paul Simon(Ya i know, but you have to admit hes got some catchy stuff)

2)Vinnie Coloueda-Frank Zappa's drummer and a loada others

3)Stewart Copeland-Police-His high hat work is amazing

4)John Bonham- Led Zeppelin - 30 minute Drum solo Madison Square Garden 1971

For some reason i dont seem to like alot of modern drummers with the exception of Dave Grohl and one or two others

What do ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1) Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel) ... Pure class
    2) Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory) ... Great timing and great double bass skills
    3) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) ... Just listen to him and you'll get what I'm on about
    4) Dave Lombardo (Slayer) ... class
    5) Igor Cavalera (Sepultura) ... great all-round drummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hellhammer.
    AKA Jan Axel Von Blomberg...

Plays/Played with Mayhem, Thorns, Arcturus, Immortal, Troll, Winds, Shining, The Kovenant, Messerschmitt, Fluerety, Mortem, Mysticum... I could probably go on...

But the guy is just the best, technically, and creatively.
    Truly awesome to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I will probably get flamed here because of the amount of obscure drummers who are probably better than i have chosen but here it is anyway

Jimmy Chamberlain from the Smashing Pumpkins
    and
    Brain from Primus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Mike Portnoy, definately.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Dave Lombardo and Paul Bastoph from Slayer, Dave because his drumming is absolutley flawless and Paul because there are so many fills

also the guy from dillinger escape plan and the guy from sikd (i think theyre called that) are both excellent

imo the most skilled musicians are jazz musicians, so the greatest drummer in the world probably is or was in a jazz band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Dave Lombardo - slayer slayer!
    mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Jon Bonam
    Cosie Powell
    Lars Ulrich
    Tommy Aldridge
    Iain Paice
    Dave Lombardo

Love all those drummers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
    John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CRONIC ARSE

wel how can i pick theres so many of the ****ers to mention!

6) dave lombardo: slayer
    5) mike portnoy: dream theater
    4) pete sandoval: morbid angel
    3) per moller jensen: haunted
    2) daniel erlandson: arch enemy
    1) ray herrera: fear factory

im sure there is other bands thats out there that could kick these guys asses but i havent heared them yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The Corr girl , shes hot !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hagi1513

Jimmy Chamberlain of the smashing pumkins and zwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Paul bostaph is a deadly drummer. Way better than dave.

But the best drummer of all is meshuggah's Tomas Haake. He's so good at messed up timings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

imo the most skilled musicians are jazz musicians, so the greatest drummer in the world probably is or was in a jazz band.

Steve Gadd and Vinnie couleuda(I can never spell this) are both jazz drummers or have played with jazz bands anyway. And seriously you may not like the music of the band theyre playing with but if your a drummer youll be amazed. Listen to the ending of Asia by Stealy Dan and youll see what i mean.
    But the best drummer of all is meshuggah's Tomas Haake. He's so good at messed up timings!

If you like messed up beats/Timing Couleuda is your man. I have a sixteen minute kind of lesson of his on MP3 and theres a stage in it where hes essentially playing 3 different beats with different timings at once F***ing amazing.

I know i seem to blow on alot about these two but seriously theyre two of the best drummers ive ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

So what exactly is your definition of a good drummer?
    Speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well this is just asking the favourite drummer, not the best.
    What defines a good drummer, good timing, good technique, good rhythm, originality, speed, subtlty(sp) and that (s)he sounds good :> All of the above combined :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I have once seen a Tribute to Buddy Rich concert on TV , but completely forgot to record it . It had all the 'best' drummers' on.
    Amazing stuff you saw there. Is there anyone that knows what I am talking about and if so..does he/she knows where to get another copy ?

(there was a guy who got a study grant from the foundation, this guy they discovered playing on the streets of USA on plastic buckets and so he did at the concert)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh and John Bonham is one of my favourite drummers, Mitch Mitchell is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Nicko McBrain(Iron Maiden).

Not because he's a good drummer. But after watching the Rock In Rio DVD I can't help but be amused by him. :)

Jukka Nevalainen from Nightwish is actually a pretty feckin' good drummer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think I'll be a fickle bastard, and put farward two complete opposite drummers:

Doc from Vader - Anyone who can clock 20 beats a second geets my vote!

Rick from My Dying Bride - Just a fantastic drummer, really makes you go "WOW!" at all the slow stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

I will probably get flamed for naming mostly grunge drummers, but oh well

Dave Abbruzee (sp?) (Ex-Pearl Jam and a session drummer). Is pure class. How I wish he stayed in PJ. Can also write a song or two.

Dave Grohl (I think we all know he's good)

Matt Cameron (Ex-Soundgarden and now in Pearl Jam.) Really good. One great thing about him is that he isn’t just a drummer, since he plays rhythm guitar on quite a few tracks, plays bass on a few, has written loads of great songs, both lyrics and music, but is generally just a very good drummer

Sean Kinney (Ex-Alice In Chains and Jerry Cantrell, now in Spys4Darwin) damn sweet drummer. Technically brilliant. Very fast and hits them bloody hard too!

John Bonham as most of you have mentioned

Jimmy Chamberlain (same)

Brad Wilk (RATM and Audioslave) very over looked, probably because everyone loves Morello, but is a great drummer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ray herrera: fear factory

Just one listen to Acres Of Skins and you will see why I chose him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Amazed that no one has mentioned Keith Moon of 'the who'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LURCH

Its gotta be Mike Portney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Steve Gadd ,as someone mentioned,is probably one of the most gifted technical drummers today.

Other probably greatest are Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa,Louis Bellson(first double bass drum,and not just playing it for spped like a death metal band,subtle fills

Joe Morello ,great drummer unique solos,like Carl Palmer,bit over the top and neil peart from Rush.

For rock,I always think Keith Moon is incredibly overrated,John Bonham,while not THE greatest,was much better.Moon'ssolos just get boring very quickly.Mitch Mitchell and Ian Paice are great rock drummers,better,IMO than Dave Grohl or Phil 'I'll drum for charity' Collins. Steve Gadd and probably Chad Smith,and still probably neil peart the bastard:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dudeRancher

Overlook the fact that he's in a tacky pop-punk band and consider Travis Barker. Highly competent in a wide variety of styles, he sounds fantastic when given the chance to shine. Also Dave Grohl and Chad Smith although I think Dave's been playing with some digital trickery on No One Knows. ;)

I've seen a lot of great drummers in my time but I forgot most of their names... forgive.

Travis Barker actually is a good drummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

I'm going to go with drummers that haven't been mentioned so far. Some of the ones so far have been great others would be very limited in my own opion of course! ;-)

Jose Pasillas - Incubus
    Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters
    Josh Freese - A Perfect Circle/The Vandels/Session
    Dennis Chambers - Santana / Solo
    Danny Carey - Tool
    Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez - Amazing Cuban Drummer
    Will Calhoun - session
    Terry Bozzio - Solo
    Clayton Cameron - Tony Bennett
    Jimmy Cobb - Miles Davis
    Tony Williams - Miles Davis
    Elvin Jones - Miles Davis
    John Dolmayan - System Of A Down
    Cater Beauford - Dave Matthews Band
    Mike Bordin - Faith No More/Ozzy Osbourne
    Kenny Arnoff - Session
    Lil' John Roberts - session
    Steve Smith - session

Just a few of my favourites that come to mind!
    A.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I notice Vinnie Paul from Pantera hasn't been mentioned yet. He's better than alot of the drummers being mentioned.

Mike Bordin is also in Jerry Cantrell

• Advertisement
Advertisement