Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England squad

• 09-02-2003 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit perplexed by Sven's choices. how in gos name can Upson get ahead of John Terry?????????
    Upson hardly featured for Arsenal and couldn't get beyond Stepanovas.
    Barry should have got in ahead of Konchesky(a player who has played 10 games all season)
    and the whole Rooney saga is a publicity stunt great player he may be but surely put him in the u21's and see how he gets on against Italy for example.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Perhaps Sven sees this as a kind of 'B' match and is picking his squad accordingly, filling it with players that he has pretty much no intention of using over the course of the qualifying campaign.

No offence to Rooney, Konchetsky and Upson but all three of them have about zero chance of becoming a competitive starters for England in the next 12 months.

Terry on the other hand has already proven himself consistant&capable and could be depended upon if called up at a future date. Therefore I see this as just a match to try out some untested talents against mediocre opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I read today that Eriksson is going for an all first cap/U-21 second half.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Terry on the other hand has already proven himself consistant&capable and could be depended upon if called up at a future date. Therefore I see this as just a match to try out some untested talents against mediocre opposition.

Yeah....but isnt John Terry relatively untested at international level?

I mean Eriksson picks experienced defender in Ferdinand, Campbell, Neville etc.. and untested defenders with Konchesky, Upson.....but doesnt picked Terry!!!

........why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Rooney has a good chance of breaking into the squad, if not the team depending on Michael Owens form in the next twelve months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Owen deservedly got into the squad after playing a full season for Liverpool but Rooney hasn't been a regular for Everton. Erickson only saw him or 25 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

you said Erickson only saw him for 25 mins.

i'm sure he's sent his staff out to watch him on numerous occassions. he does get £3.5m a year so i'd say he makes an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

But he's not a regular for Everton Owen was for Liverpool a bit too early for him IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It is a friendly. That is what you do at freindlies. You check out players that you do not feel are quite ready for full internationals and see how they get on. What harm can it do to at least introduce Wayne to the international setup. That way when he is needed he will know how things work and will not be overawed for his first cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

Manchester United v Arsenal is on in 3 days time, along with many other big games, in the middle of the season.

No team is going to want to release their star players for a meaningless friendly.

Teams like Charlton and Everton won't mind giving their players an England debut whereas it's pointless playing Scholes, Beckham, Owen and co for the whole game.

England also have to play x number of games a year as far as I know, sponsors, tv, etc.

Advertisement