Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy(could this be true)

Options
  • 09-02-2003 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Theres a discussion on a Zappa forum about live albums. Thin Lizzys Live and Dangerous was mentioned and someone had this to say about it.
    Now I have a story for you. About ten years ago I had a training in sound engineering, called sound seminar. One evening Tony Visconti came in to talk about his experiences in the music business. Great man, he had played guitar with David Bowie, worked with Frank Zappa and also produced 'Live and Dangerous'. He told us they couldn't use any tape of the tour for that album because they played so bad. So they used those tapes only to fill it with lots and lots of overdubs, all the guitarparts are done again in the studio. Even the handclapping of the audience is a sample.

look for yourself

Could this be true, i hope not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

apparently 75% of its live .... its mentioned in Mark Putterford's book about Phil Lynott...
    'Live and Dangerous was 75 per cent live'...'the rest was overdubs, mainly of vocals and lead guitar solos, just to clean the sound up'.......'...because most want to hear quality of sound on records - they dont want to hear muffled solos, or dodgy vocals....' - Chris O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Tis true, to be sure. If you actually have the album and you read the sleeve it says it. It tries to play it down but you can hear on the CD that it is totally overdubbed. Made me think long and hard about Lizzie, and I'm not that mad into them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

yea, its true for sure. but who cares really? its only one cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

True it's only one cd but it's generly classed as one of the greatest live albums of all time.

Got me thinking about my favorite Lizzy album "life"live, is this one over dubbed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    will always be the best live album IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    will always be the best live album IMO :)
    I disagree... :)

Megadeth - Rude Awakening is the best IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

QUOTE]Megadeth - Rude Awakening is the best IMO.[/QUOTE]
    I've seen Megadeth twice. Went first time cos i wanted too, went second time cos they where supported by Pantera. I have to say Megadeth are boring live. Close your eyes and it's like listening to their albums in a crowded room. Great musicians note perfect live, but didn't do it for me.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by francie brady
    Megadeth - Rude Awakening is the best IMO.
    I've seen Megadeth twice. Went first time cos i wanted too, went second time cos they where supported by Pantera. I have to say Megadeth are boring live. Close your eyes and it's like listening to their albums in a crowded room. Great musicians note perfect live, but didn't do it for me.
    Yeah I've seen them live too. I was in the pit for most of it so I didn't really notice the crowds reactions or anything (rough pit though!). But there's something on the live album that you don't get on a normal album... a damn good drum solo from Jimmy DeGrasso. Got to love it! You can just hear the crowd moving to the whole thing, you really should check out the live video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

i (predictably) say the best live CD is Pearl Jam - Live In London 2000

Advertisement