Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX Card, which one to buy?

• 09-02-2003 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

Well soon enough I will have my new system built which will be as follows.

2x256 XMS 3200 Corsair pc2700 XP 2400-2800 (although i may just wait till the prices fall, because the gap in price difference is quite nasty :))

Asus 87V8V

nice fast HD still to be decided.

Now I haven't got 400 Eur to go and splash out on a big fat Card.

The games id play would mainly be CS JKII, but I would also like for the card to be somewhat good for future games releases which will hog up more and more fps.

So roughly 200 Eur, what card would you buy for this system?

Ive never been an owner of a Radeon card so have no experience with them and their models.

Cheers for the advice,

Samba

(oh incase anyone thinks I am asking to be spoon fed :p Ive read reviews etc did my homework, but I would like to hear from folks who actually own the Card :))

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Your best bet for that sort of money would be either a GeForce4 Ti4200 or a Radeon 9500.
    The Radeon 9500 can be hacked/overclocked to give the same performance as a Radeon 9700 (or effectively become one).
    Someone posted a link to instructions on the procedure on the technology board a while ago, do a search.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

be careful tho.
    apparenrly not all 9500 cards are the same.
    Some have the 8 pipelines while others dont and some mods **** the one that dont have it up.
    Causing faults in certain areas of the picture depending on what happened or something.

^^ heard all my word of mouth so might be an idea to check up that claim aint 100% Bs tho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Samba

GFX Card, which one to buy?

So roughly 200 Eur, what card would you buy for this system?

Well since the cheapest GFFX cards on komplett is EUR 510 on komplett (EUR 660 for the Ultra!!), I think you will have to look at a Gefore 4 or Radeon.

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

tbh id wait a while, nvidia are supposed to pull the GF fx off the market so current GF 4 priced might not fall like they were expected to but its very iffy for nvidia imo i hear the t14200 is a great card, best bang for buck in the gf4 range anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm also on the lookout for the Ti4200. Anyone know where I can pick one up cheap (cheaper than komplett).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by bk
    Well since the cheapest GFFX cards on komplett is EUR 510 on komplett (EUR 660 for the Ultra!!), I think you will have to look at a Gefore 4 or Radeon.

GFX means Graphics, not GeForce FX. He never mentioned the GFFX.

I would go for a 9700 Pro. Either that or get something cheap (ti4200) aand wait for the R350 in March (ish).

The Barton is out soon aswell. Just in case you wanted to know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Hey Samba. I bought the Creative GeForce4 Ti4200 from Komplett over the christmas (arrived christmas eve) to go along with my AthlonXP 1800. I'm currently making my way through JKII and have to say it looks real sexy. Love those light sabre scraps in dark areas with force speed ... yummy.

Although, I'm stuck in some crappy swamp outside the Jedi Academy and can't get to where I need to go. Game was great up until this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

heh, tell me about it Tin, stoped playing the 1 player as soon as I got stuck somewhere, just isnt fun being stuck :)

Tell me, why is there such a price difference in this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=30160&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

Is it just the name brand which is making it less expensive?

Oh and Koneko, ive decided to go with the XP2800 Barton Core apparently the Ram will not perform as it should due to bandwidth issues, $400 tho :(

ASUS V9280 Ti4200-8x was the final choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

It's due to the memory. The one I got is 64MB while the one on the Komplett frontpage has 128MB's. I've read many posts stating that the 64MB performs better than the 128MB versions as the 64MB version uses faster memory. Although, I don't know much on the technical side of that argument.

Here's the one I got

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=29268&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Glad I didnt go with the MSI

Heres the Bench Marks Paul

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/asus-v9280-ti4200-8x/index04.htm

It seems that the card is only worth Getting with the Higher end Processors.

Can't wait to see how it performs with my new XP 2600 I just ordered :D

+ that Ram should give it an extra boost, but would only really be noticeable with the new Barton Core, which rocketed out of my budget ;) 700 for a Barton Core on Komplett :o

Few guys on ebay taking pre-orders for $500 but thats just asking for trouble imo.

Still tho, happy with System to be.

2x256 Corsair XMS 3200
    Asus Av78x Mobo
    Asus Geforece V9280 Ti 4200
    AMD XP2600
    HD still to be decided

Total Cost = 741 Eur Gonna be a few quiet weekends ahead of me

Advertisement