Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White Teeth?

• 10-02-2003 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Whats the best way to make your teeth whiter? Do the mainstream toothpastes (colgate, aquafresh etc.) work?

Can anyone recommend anything stronger? :)

I'm not a smoker, but I do drink tea and coffee.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I know that some people have naturally yellow teeth, and they are actually healthy teeth. I brush twice a day and use listerine (don't really floss often enough).

Have you spoken with your dentist? Let me know if you get any info coz if theres something I'm doing wrong I'd like to know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

you can use toothpaste like macleans whitening. it'll gradually clean teeth over a period, but if you're looking for something with quicker results then you should talk to the dentist people, for they have the power to make teeth clean!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

we use (don't laugh) Ultra Bright, and it does really work! People have commented on my lovely white teeth!

:D - Look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ultra bright ! bet its made in kerry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 VarCass

Rumour has it that baking soda whitens ur teeth really well but at the cost of yer enamel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

So does washing your mouth out with salt water.. but it also wrecks your teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

You can get a bleaching kit off the dentist for about $400. Expensive, but it works pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Slightly off topic !

I had a bad bad tooth ache recently and it flared up one Evening.
    I decided to wait till the following morning and go see the local dentist. But the pain got so bad I couldnt sit down. I rang a friend and he told me to crush a strong pain killer and cut it up like some illigal drugs are and rub it directly onto the gum above the sore tooth .IT worked .

I dont reccomend that any of you take pain killers other than the the way they are reccomended, just sharing some info on a trick that got me through a long long night.

Always read the Lable !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

drink some home cleaning fluids, should do the trick... (domestos or something works well i hear)

people will comment finely on your amazing white teeth*

pity you wont hear them as you will be lying in a coffin though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Pearl drops are good imo,but Arm & Hammer whitening toothpaste is great,you can get it in boots in blanchardstown,btw it tastes filth.

:D COMBATCOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

if you're looking for something a bit more effective, you should proabbly look it up on the web. my dad uses an american toothpaste whitening thing that i dont think is sold over here, it's called advanced whitening i think. he gets my uncle or any people visiting to bring it over for him. my mum uses somehting else that she gets here, i'll check it out, cant remember the name atm.

i would also recommend getting an electric toothbrush, prices range at round 30-100 euro and i find they are the most effective for making teeth look whiter (but my teeth are quite white anyway, for some reason, they aren't *that* stained)

if youre looking for treatment for it, i think you can get...is it called venieers, or somehting, over your teeth to make them look whiter, or you can get you dentist to bleach them, but theyre both quite costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I read in a medical report (online, so make of it waht you will, but it seemed on the level) that the whitening agent used in most gums/ toothpastes can cause igestion and stomach problems - primairly nausea, but vomitting in some cases.

Just to warn ye

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    I read in a medical report that the whitening agent used in most gums/ toothpastes can cause igestion and stomach problems - primairly nausea, but vomitting in some cases

So I guess the moral of the story is not to swallow your toothpaste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Alany
    I had a bad bad tooth ache.....I rang a friend and he told me to crush a strong pain killer and cut it up like some illigal drugs are and rub it directly onto the gum above the sore tooth .IT worked .
    Worst thing you could do. The acid in the painkiller will burn the gum tissue.

References:
    http://www.edoc.co.za/dhw/faq/dodont.html
    http://www.endoexperience.com/patients.i.htm
    http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/47/131.cfm
    http://www.dentistonweb.com/dentalSmart/fightAgainstToothache.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

When i got my braces off, my teeth were manky yellow,
    You can get them bleached, or as my orthodontist said, Just brush them enough and they will become white.

you have to brush twice a day, and flossing after meals is really good, but if u dont wanna do that, then chew gum after you eat, it does get rid of plague.
    sugar free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well there are people out there like me will never have white teeth unless the pay a few grand and get fronts.

There was an anti-botioc that was perscibed back in the 80s that
    altered the colour of forming teeth, if you got this as a child or if you mother was given it while in the last 3 mnth of pregnacy you teeth will be a cream color no matter how often or with what you brush. Bleaching wont work either as the teeth are that colour all the way to the root.

I have a lil white line on the very edge of my teeth from the bits that had formed before the anti bioctic was in my system.
    So they may never be sparkling white dotn mean they aint clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Colgate has a new thing out here in the states called Colgate Strips. They are like the actual strips they put on ya at the dentists office but you can get them over the counter. If you wanted to go to the dentist the can give you the baking soda spray, which takes the place of the flavored stuff they use to buff your teeth, my bf gets it every six months and it works wonders?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Pearl drops are good imo,but Arm & Hammer whitening toothpaste is great,you can get it in boots in blanchardstown,btw it tastes filth.

:D COMBATCOW

I use the regular Arm & Hammer.. at first it was ok tasting but it was sort of salty so it tasted horrible later and made me think i was drinking salt water.. But now i dont notice it and normal toothpaste tastes strange!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My teeth had a slight natural (dentist says so) yellowish colout to them. I have noticed listerine mouthwash has made them slightly whiter.

Getting your teeth cosmeticly polished could cost €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

white teeth are overrated anyway, they don't look at all natural, do you want to end up like jerry seinfeld ? :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by DriftingRain
    Colgate has a new thing out here in the states called Colgate Strips. They are like the actual strips they put on ya at the dentists office but you can get them over the counter. If you wanted to go to the dentist the can give you the baking soda spray, which takes the place of the flavored stuff they use to buff your teeth, my bf gets it every six months and it works wonders?:rolleyes:

I haven't heard of these, but when I was in the US last Summer, I used Crest Whitestrips. They worked brilliantly. You can't get them here or in the UK, but they are available on the continent.

It would be worth it if you/a friend were going to the US to get two boxes, they are around $40 each. I don't think one "dosage" is enough.

Advertisement