Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home net probs.

Options
  • 10-02-2003 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Setting up 2 pcs on a small network.

one has XP Pro other has Win98
    both have these cards http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509b.htm

Both install fine but when i run XP home net setup on win98 pc takes about 5 hours of "setting up please wait a moment" then freezes.

Is there an another way to get them to see each other have a HUB made by UB netowkrs but they seem to have went bankrupt so no info on the hub AH1600M

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yes there is.
    Set both PC's up on the same IP range.

Right click on Network places or go to network in controle panel and go to the TCP/IP propities
    IE:
    XP PC: IP Address 10.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

98 PC: IP Address 10.0.0.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Now go into the command prompt ("CMD" in XP and "command" in 98) try ping the computer by there IP address. As follows

ping 10.0.0.1
    or
    ping 10.0.0.2

you should get something like this

Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM)
    (C) Copyright 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>ping 10.0.0.1

Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

H:\>

Now, you want to map network drives so you can transfar files from one PC to the other. With XP when you map the drive you use the password for your 98 log on. And you should be able to connect. As for 98 connecting to XP. If its anything like win2k you will need to creat an account on the XP PC and give it the same password. and access to your shares. Oh yeah you need to make the shares first :D Thats done by right clicking on a drive or folder and going to sharing or properties and then sharing. (both the same thing) Once thats done you should be able to transfar files. You speed should be something like 10MB/s as your are on a hub. So it wont be blinding fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got them pinging now to share them , dumped the HUB and now using some twisted cable.

Only 2 pcs and will only ever be 2 pcs.

thx

kdjac

GL, hope I helped some..

This is pissing me off.

I either get shared folders or internet connection shared, never both. :(

Using Net Essentials to test the network but somfin up with shared internet now.
    The shared folders only pop up[ on her PC when i run NetBios auditing tool.

I get an error if i try and share the DSL. "error 1061 the server cannot accept control at this time"

Googling didnt find much on that error by way of a fix.

kdjac

remove netBios. only use TCP/IP and client for microsoft networks. As for ics, I'd use a proper proxy program.

• Advertisement

Left out proxy port in lan settings on IE setup :(
    This program reminded me http://www.analogx.com/

Thx

Tho thought XP made all this easy
    :confused:

kdjac

Advertisement