Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Games and gaming

Options
  • 10-08-2001 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Okay its past 3pm on a friday afternoon, i think its time for a BIG QUESTION type post. This is fairly simple yet incredibly complex,

What do you think the future of gaming is?

In relation to what genre's will be more popular? (bar fps) Will the adventurous next generation of MMORPGS end up as good as everyone thinks? personally i think planetside will not work very well at all, not even the concept holds water how do you have a persistent fps? Will games be accepted as a recognised media(if it isn't already)?

Opinions on the back of a postcards as usual smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

MMORPG's are going to become more mainstream, but I don't think there going to be massively popular in terms of say how popular cs is today. I'd say we're going to see the single player game develop more aswell with more complex ai for npc's.

Gaming will always have the same principles tho kill or be killed/solve the puzzle or don't finished the game etc its just the umm arena(?) we play in changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

>how do you have a persistent fps?

The same way you have persistent PK worlds.

Take AC darktide for example. The second your born you are a target. If you die you loose a % of your stats until you can gain them back in experience and you cannot be attacked for 5 minutes.

Once you get over the initial fact you will die, the game gets quite easy. The server is contolled by very high level monarcys who in some cases own towns (not in the literal sense, but good luck getting into the town to shop).

I think Planetside can work quite well.

The only thing MMOG's have going against them is developers who have no experience in the field. AO is currently a bit pile of crap due to being released before it's finished. A lot of the bugs they should of known about from seeing how other MMOG's worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Future Of Gaming, by Naked Bible Reading Man

Will gaming be accepted as a recognised media? I'd imagine so. It has already come a long way and is extremely popular considering its reletively short existence.

I think in the future, we're going to se a continuation of the blurring of genres. Games like Deus Ex, Black & White and Operation Flashpoint have pioneered this.

MMORPGs will grow in popularity as the technology emerges that can support a decent one. They won't be the type of game that will draw the 'casual gamer' online though.

Online gaming will see huge growth. With consoles getting connected and ambitious projects like Speedball on the horizon, online gaming will really begin to take off. Of course we'll have to pay a subscription for it all smile.gif

Playstation 2 and X-Box will go a long way to making gaming even more trendy and socially acceptable. Nintendo will continue to innovate and push the bounderies of gaming.

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Excuse my ignorance please... I know RPG is Role-playing Game, - but what's this "MMORPG" an acronym for?

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Er, I think its somthin to do with FFXI, but then again, what would I know. Anyways, games like CS will be the next big thing. And RPG's will have better story-lines. And computer-games will be more accepted.

i hate you guys......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

The future of gaming will be almost completely interactive with people on line.
    Gone will be the day of thick bots doing stoopid stuff it will all be humans. What will be interesting will be the games that arent multi-player what will they be like what will they offer?? confused.gif

Advertisement