Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bank branches.

Options
  • 10-02-2003 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experiecne of changing bank branches? I opened my account in collage 8 years ago, and after i graduated, my account went to their main bank in Dublin city centre. I want to move it to my home town.

Does anyone know if this will cause any hassle with Direct Debits and my salary being paid into my account,etc.. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the banks will want you to change branch - "you can't move your account between branches".

This is based on the way branches are funded - on the number of accounts they hold and fees generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I went into an AIB in Dublin city centre a year ago and said I wanted to move my account from Dun Laoghaire (it was once convenient but I don't live/work anywhere near there now). I was told "we don't really encourage that".

I said I wanted to move it anyway because I didn't want to make trips out to Dun Laoghaire. I was then challenged to give an example of a transaction that would require me to go to my branch. Which really annoyed me because I have never wanted "my own branch"; it was always AIB that told me "Oh no, you have to go to your own branch to do that". Like they know me any better there or they have access to some other computer system.

Anyway, it was easy to think of examples (changing from Cashsave to Current account, for example) and I insisted. I long ago learned never to take AIB at their word.

Once they caved in, it was easy. I got my direct debits and standing orders transferred on the spot (make sure you have a list of these before you go - I forgot one and they didn't catch it). You should tell your employer your new account number.

So, easy and painless, once they agree to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the dont want you to go but will let you if you insist.

you cannot setup or vary direct debits and standing orders without visiting the branch

having said that I didn't change branch ever and only had hassle about once a year . I lived in 3 othe rtowns and have finally moved home so that I am back in the catchment area of my original branch..that I never changed from....

they should allow change out of a college branch though...they are being petty there

M

Originally posted by davros
    Once they caved in, it was easy. I got my direct debits and standing orders transferred on the spot (make sure you have a list of these before you go - I forgot one and they didn't catch it). You should tell your employer your new account number.
    If its a new number, isn't it a new account?
    Originally posted by Muck
    they should allow change out of a college branch though...they are being petty there
    They usually give you a reference, but I had my college account for 9 years after I left college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by Victor
    If its a new number, isn't it a new account?
    Absolutely. In the strict sense, AIB never "transfers" an account. They close one and open another, moving the balance between them.

You get a new sort code too. I don't know why AIB messes around with all this branch nonsense. One sort code should be plenty for the whole of AIB (given that account numbers are unique anyway, I presume).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by davros
    (given that account numbers are unique anyway, I presume).

I assume they are. I've one AIB account - it's got 8 digits. Assuming no account number begins with zero, they've room for just shy of 90 million accounts. Even with the Irish tendency to have multiple accounts, loan accounts, closed accounts, they've got plenty of numbers. These new fangled electronic storage devices might help.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

i dunno.... afaik they only need the first 5 digits in your branch.
    I was asked for my a/c # in my branch recently and the woman only needed the first 5 to get my details up on screen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

you cannot setup or vary direct debits and standing orders without visiting the branch

Not true - Just send them a letter & they'll setup DD's or SO's without difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Just so you know, the problems are not restricted to AIB! I too was a college student who wanted to move my account closer to my home, but was told that I would in fact have to close the account down and then open up a new one! Very inconcenient as I would then have to go and change all my DD's and SO's over, plus my salary etc....

Originally posted by Licksy20
    i dunno.... afaik they only need the first 5 digits in your branch.
    I was asked for my a/c # in my branch recently and the woman only needed the first 5 to get my details up on screen...
    First 5 or last 5? I presume they are allocated in blocks 999xxxxx numbers are the bank's own accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Moving a bank account is just like shopping for any other service but by moving from one branch to another is like having a foot in the door because they have a history of all the transactions on your accounts. If you have the 2 forms of identification as required by law the branch has no reason to refuse your request to open an aco****. Ask for their Customer Care Department phone number if you get any guff.

Account numbers are based on a National Sorting Code which identifies a bank and a branch and your account number. These numbers when added together in a neat litle way verify the validity of the account number NSC combination. Your customer number is the first 5 digits of your account number - the last three just are added to satisfy the formula. DD's and Standing Orders are transferred electronically if the staff are efficient but invariably they are not. ALWAYS make sure of your wages by telling your employer dd's and so's can wait , I mean it is money leaving your account isn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Had an experience with AIB recently too. My account is still in my college branch in Dublin, I was in waterford. When I tried to get a loan, I had to have papers sent down etc.... lots of messing about that could have been done over the counter in the branch 2 doors down from me here. So I asked if I could change my branch, and I was told like someone else here that this was not encouraged. However being pig headed like I am, I was able to get it done very fast, but calmly saying on the spot...

Fine, give me whatever forms I need to close my account down right now and withdraw all cash, it will be as easy for me to change banks as it will branches. Needless to say things went very smoothly after that and things worked out very well (and quickly too).

Advertisement