Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freespace 2

Options
  • 01-08-2001 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I just finished this game and I have to say it's very underated.I was wondering how many other people have played this game and what they thought of it?I thought it was great fun but incredibly inconclusive with a lot of things being left unexplained.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

underted it has to stand out as one of the best pc games ever its strong story puts the likes of deus ex to shame maby it is a little inconclusive but maby if the sequel comes to frution it will all be explained it has unparalled gameplay and sometimes revealing a story like that would spiol the game

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Sure the story's is good but it definately doesn't put Deus Ex to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Alas chances of a freespace3 are slim to nill , its that age old tale of "the publisher owns the rights etc.etc." , although some meagre attempt at a mod for Iwar2 is being attempted i think , its not promising . On the plus Freespace 2 a PC great , with graphics only now being touched upon , Story wise , its more of a long meandering lecture, but it does have some moments which are "epic" when the Juggernaught appears , and your trying to turn away from Flak cannons and it just stretches out no matter where you move , i nearly shat mehself *and those Beams ..mph!*

Lads i would really advise getting online with it though , once the Harpoon Spamming is over with you get some sublime Dogfighting , get on Squadwars aswell for a more team orientated aspect smile.gif

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Just in the middle of playing it at the mo', have to get me sound card sorted then will continue...enjoying it so far ! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Freespace 2 is a great game. It is atmospheric and immersive and actually made you feel part of a massive war.

Space is a hard setting to base a game in and I think Volition got it spot on.

The fact that you can also go back & play a campaign mission with a different ship or loadout helps the replayability of the game.

I'll have to root around for the CD's and give it a go again

BTW http://archives.volitionwatch.com/
    is a great site for Freespace goodies,
    especially single player missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I've been wanting to play this game for ages now, so I was quite pleased to see it come out on the white label budget. Went into Game the other day to pick it up - £25! For a frickin budget game!

Anyway, strolling home, Virgin are selling it for £12.99 - it's also part of their "2 for £20" deal.

Just thought you'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

funny story- I planned to get this when it came out and i accidently got original and mission pack. and even wierder i didnt notice till i finished the game biggrin.gif

anyway luved the original to bits THE LUCIFER ending was so cool.

But if i find it out here i'll get sequal biggrin.gif but if i do get it out here i wont be able to play online (seeing all of them out here are pirated biggrin.gif)

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

I know im like a broken record but if your getting freespace 2 get Starlancer aswell , You get to Kill russians using Lasers!! Its like the Raegan Years all over again

12:99 folks

volition have suceeded in making 2 games which there universe is better than starwars or any of the star treks (im gonna get in trouble for that) the ship design is sublime and the multiplayer is just great once it begins to work properly and sqyuad war kicks ass in a mighty manner and with freds ease of use mods are simple to churn out and deus exs story line might as wellbe a tom clancy novel like halflifes its srtory was overhyped but in this you feel like youre a small part of a bigger picture the ships are great graphics are brilliant storyline is untouchable and the charecter voice acting is second to none this is surley one of the best pc games to date and its predocessor is just as good plus the easy to use mission editor is the icing on the cake and belasarrius must be a real fan wonder if hell surender?

Well spotted herr OrangeRooster , your Referring to the 3rd Level of FS2 right ? the NTC Belisarius? But its not where I got it from , and its not from AOK either ....ACTUALLY I got it from Jaques Louis David's "Belisarius Begging for Alms" http://www.quake.ie/belisarius/jdavid22.jpg , So tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ObeyGiant:
    I've been wanting to play this game for ages now, so I was quite pleased to see it come out on the white label budget. Went into Game the other day to pick it up - £25! For a frickin budget game!</font>

Actually game are selling it and the expansion on white budget label for £12.99. I stickered them myself (bought one while i was at it smile.gif )

AFAIK it's part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal, i'll get back to ye on that one

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

indeed its the first real mission after the tsi modules for the myrmadon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

One of my favourite games of all time, definitely of that genre. Flying in between 2 capital ships, trying to knock out torps and bombers while they hammer the crap out of each other. Amazing.

My claim to fame on the expansion pack for FS1 - knocking out the Hades and Starbase practically singlehandedly after being without any support for over an hour (135 Loki kills).

Starlancer has a better flight model I think, and nicer graphics, but the AI sucks. Your colleagues are useless, and the enemy predictable. Also there are too many stupid torp-kill missions.
    That said it's still fun, and has a better feel when dogfighting. Well worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I picked it up yesterday in EB for 15 quid,

Doe'st seem to like my geeforce 2 atall tho. Wont detect and wont start without it frown.gif

Any1 else incounter this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Not sure but I think the original version of FS1 was Glide (3dfx) only. It had to be patched for other Direc3d cards. FS2 should detect your Geforce2 without any problems out of the box. There is a patch for it also that might be worth applying to try and slap it into shape.
    Also Check the readme.txt/help file, I know there are a number of commandline options you can enter on the start menu to force different modes.

Advertisement