Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolest Game Location?

Options
  • 30-07-2001 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

What do you think was the coolest location in any game. NOT your favourite, but what you think was a genuinely cool place.

I liked Branbal in FFVIX and Hell's Kitchen in Deus Ex. Not to mention Rockfort Prison in Resident Evil Code Veronica .

How Do You Prove You Exist? What If We Don't Exist? - Vivi Ornitier, Final Fantasy IX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

well i really think the demon realm in onimusha is very cool and in red faction the grand canyon area is cool oh and hunted in hal-life

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Rainbow Six had some classy locations , my fave has to be the london Subway station from R6:RS:UO , really authentic . In duesex hells kitchen is a bit dodgy i thought ,HongKongs my favorite map ,but all in all Black mesas just cool , call me sentimental smile.gif

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Manny Calavera's Casablanca style nightclub (the "Calavera Café") in Rubacava from the utterly wonderful Grim Fandango.

Special.

K

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mesdames et Messieurs, place your bets."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    Manny Calavera's Casablanca style nightclub (the "Calavera Café") in Rubacava from the utterly wonderful Grim Fandango.
    </font>

Yeah especially that piece of FMV at the start of that year with Manny standing on the Balcony havin' a smoke.

Total Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Balamb Garden and the reception area in the Hotel in the village where those yellow things with the big hands live in FF8. Such tranquil scenes.

Balrog's Las Vegas street fight scene from Street Fighter II.

The brothel from Hitman. I have no idea how many times I've run around it gunning people down in slow motion.

The streets in Res Evil 3. Loads of mushy fun had there.

[edit] Let us not forget also, the maps from Metropolis Street Racer. Nice.[/edit]
    ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

[This message has been edited by ThunderingMike (edited 30-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

OH! OH! CHOCOBOO FORREST!!!!!!!!! ITS TEH MEGA KOOEL PLACE IN FF!

Hrm. Coolest game place would have to be... I dunno. frown.gif I can't think of anything, but I bet when I play Max Payne I'll find some nifty-a$$ places...

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think the upcoming asteroid fight scene in U2 is looking to be a part in my heart.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The coolest looking place in a game has to be either the fmv scene in FF9 where kuja is fighting queen brahne on his white dragon..totally kicks a$$ or the time when squall and co. undergo time compression in FF8, the visuals for the area are the best i've ever seen. esp when they go into the bubbles and end up in different places all the time ,like the ocean scene oh oh wait, when lunatic pandora flies over the city of Esthar, the scenery is way off the scale, it rulez big time.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

DM3 all the way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Monkey Island.

Also, Hong Kong and Paris and New York and EVERYWHERE in Deus Ex curlydav.gif

That and cs_assault...

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Just played a demo of Clive Barkers Undying and at the end there was a level where the steps in front of you appear when you go forward and disappear behind you. Thought it was pretty cool lookin!! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Hhe first "Toejam and Earl"
    Day of the tentacle
    Some of the hidden and dangerous levels were class
    The european levels of commandos and hopefully commandos2
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Alice yet, In particular the chess levels.

De_dust biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif and countless others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

FF7, Shinra building, after Jenova has escaped.

The music, the emptiness, the blood stained floor.

FF8, had some excellent calm locations, the lovely music, beautiful scenery.

FF9, hmm. Maybe the castle top garden in lindblum(whereever regent cid is).

Red Faction also has some excellent atmospheric locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Majestic 12 Base-Deus Ex(Escaping from it is fantastic).
    Hunted-Half Life
    Biodeck-Startopia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Majestic 12 Base-Deus Ex(Escaping from it is fantastic).
    Hunted-Half Life
    Biodeck-Startopia

What would chairs look like if your knees were backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Q3dm6 and Q2dm1 are special to me. Also the track in Ridgeracer 1.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Sigil, City in Planescape Torment...or whatever that City is called in Thief. smile.gif

Life sucks, but does it swallow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Final Fantasy 7, the are which you could only visit once, in the Forgotten City at the end of disc 1... wow...

Other than that, cs_militia and q2dm1.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lara's bedroom, the tomb raider series smile.gif

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"I'd rather be a pirate on Scabb than a scab on a Pirate"

Scabb Island... where it all started, wasn't it ? smile.gif

(The Monkey Island series, that is)

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Shinra Mansion, and the music was spot on there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Meelee Island on monkey island1
    The Hotel in day of the tentacle

Scabb island was the starting island on mi2 i think cool place non the less alot of the game based there

The whole alien planet on Little big adventure 2 aswell, well all the locations in the 2 lba games where class lots of exploring n things to do....

The Ball of String in Sam n Max

And that level on Jedi Knight with the 2 big fuel tanks and you have to jump onto a ship at the end, mad level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sitting at the Mages lighthouse in Mayoi at sunset (Asherons Call).

Listening to crickets and watching the seagulls fly around and the waves come crashing onto shore as the sun slowly dips into the sea. Then looking down to see in the distance some poor sap get tossed into the air and eaten alive by one of the Mattys on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Clive Barker's Undying : The Widows Watch set of rooms, in the middle of a raging storm.

Actually, the whole main house in Undying is exceptional, especially the external views.

Freespace 2 : flying a cloaked ship around the Satanas-class to scout it out

Other than Undying, tho, I can remember the last time I sat back at a scene in a game and just went "Woah".

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GREENHELL:
    Meelee Island on monkey island1
    The Hotel in day of the tentacle

Scabb island was the starting island on mi2 i think cool place non the less alot of the game based there
    </font>

Ah - well it was Melée Island I was thinking of...

also available as a Q3A map, fact fans smile.gif

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Yea someone was going to make a mod outa mi1 but got bord. A small map of the town was made 3 weapons I think not to much depth lots of blue tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Just an idea ,but mebbe new Reno from Fallout 2 , one of the most entertaining hours play , runnin round the town looking for my Stolen Car , Just seemed *right* Thief 2 had some excellent locations aswell btw

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

The labs in Resident Evil 1, the part of HL where you're in and around the main Lambda reactor (before Xen), the main police building place in Resident Evil 2, the hospital in Silent Hill, and anywhere in FF7 smile.gif

<edit> Oh and cs_tire, great old school CS memories of that one smile.gif </edit>

[This message has been edited by Littletinyman (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

All of Bio-Forge had some pretty impressive locations.

Advertisement