Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying background sssshhh in headphones

Options
  • 10-02-2003 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi

I'm using WINDOWS XP PRO, got a soundblaster live digital 5.1 or something. I use headphones, plugged in to the soundcard, works fine.. great sound and all. However, there is this faint sound in the background, a "ssssssshh" even when I turn the volume in windows down to 0. I don't get this sound on my other PC. I don't have a microphone or anything plugged in..
    anyone know what's up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Probably something in the adjacant PCI slot is causing interference, I get a faint noise on my laptop and my desktop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

First off - it's a PC and therefore will NEVER have a S/N ratio even approaching a proper seperates hi-fi (proper hi-fi components even shun illuminated displays as noisy, never mind fans and motors)

However, the most likly cause is the MIC input being enabled - goto the sound card properties (windows volume control) and disable it (and the line in while you at it)

Also as eth0_ said it could be a noisy PCI card - move the sound card as far away from fans and high power circuts as possible)

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

MIC Input isn't enabled and I've got the soundcard at the bottom pci slot as far away from fans as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find that the analogue audio cable from CD-ROM/DVD drives is a big source of noise. With headphones on I can hear it spinning and making noises. Try muting CD audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

I tried muting everything.
    Though I've got both a CD-rw and DVD and they're both connected to the card. One digital and one analog or whatever it was :)

I'll try removing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I had the same problem before and it turned out to be the line in was enabled.

Also what os is it?
    Cause with XP it takes the cdrom audio via the ide cables. No need for audio cables anymore \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

could always just be interference along the head phone cable. also make sure that input sound is muteded (not mic) by any chance does the head phone cable lay close to the mains power or a active 4 gang?

Advertisement