Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Bank Charges

Options
  • 10-02-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I've purchased a phone on E-Bay for €170, and I sent a bank draft accross to pay for it (Austria). This person is claiming that she had to pay €15 to cash in the draft. I find this hard to believe, and would like to verify it before I send accross another €15.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It may sound mad, but it's probably true!!!

Although the Eurozone is meant to make things easier a lot of banks are still processing 'foreign' Euros as if they were foreign currency.. ... makes you wonder why we even bothered, but there you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

It is plausible (I've paid more than that for electronic transfers, never mind shuttling bits of paper around). Doesn't make it true though.

Did you not agree on the payment method in advance? If she expected extra charges she should have informed you first. She should probably have put in on the eBay page in the first place under payment & shipping.

If she got caught because of her own ignorance, she should not suddenly increase the cost to you. You might even find some European consumer rights to support you on that.

There is another payment mechanism that might avoid these kinds of problems (for future purchases): Eurogiro, available from the post office. I haven't used it myself but it sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

tough cookie if her bank charges $15 to cash in the draft.

the final bid price including shipping i assume was $170?

and did she say she accepted bank drafts on her bid page?

If yes and yes, then no pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

And I meant to add...

If you want to rant about bank charges across EU borders, this might be a good place to do it:
    EU Discussion Forums
    (click on "Discussion forum on bank charges")

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I appreciate the advice guys - cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

is anyone else seeing the irony?

if you send across another $15 ... it will cost her $15 to cash it ... and you end up with one of those pesky infinite loops.

so based on her logic, you'll have to send here $30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that this is crazy. You already paid for a bank draft that should be acceptable in any country.

I also used ebay & send a smaller sum to the US via bank draft - It was acceptable.

You have paid an Irish bank for a service - you should take it up with the Irish bank as well.

And if the ebay seller said cheques or drafts would be acceptable - I would let the seller know this as well.

Advertisement