Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bush intent on War?

Options
  • 10-02-2003 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

It seems contributors to this forum are divided on there views. But one question comes to the fore in my mind. Is George Bush prepared to back down if Saddam comes clean to the satisfaction of the inspectors?

Is Bush intent on War? 49 votes

Is Bush going to War, Hell or high water?
    0% 0 votes
    Is Bush going to War, coz Rummy tells him he must?
    79% 39 votes
    Will Bush accept the large dissent to War and move for a diplomatic solution?
    20% 10 votes
    Will Bush, Blair and Saddam all get together for a group hug with Crumpets washed down with lashings of Ginger Beer?
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Loomer
    Is George Bush prepared to back down if Saddam comes clean to the satisfaction of the inspectors?

I would very much doubt it.
    As far as I can see the George Bush oil cabal are intent on a war, and they won't let a small matter like Iraq having no Chemical/Biological/Nuclear weapons stand in their way.

You see, Saddam has not played ball with them since the days of the Iran/Iraq war, and it just does not suit the oil interests to have him in power.
    What they want to do is get rid of him by any means necessary, and put a more acceptable (puppet) regime in place who will effectively hand over control of the oil fields to Exxon et al.

What they want to do is get rid of him by any means necessary, and put a more acceptable (puppet) regime in place who will effectively hand over control of the oil fields to Exxon et al.

Iraq would be a nice base of operations, if the US decide that the Middle East should be cleaned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Since his first day in office Dubya hasn't given a $hit about the rest of the world. Taking the line, we're the most powerful country in the world so the world should be doing what we say - like it or lump it.
    But on the bright side, November 2004 isn't too long away. And if the democrats can get their act together, Bushie boy and his cronnies won't be around for long.

And if the democrats can get their act together, Bushie boy and his cronnies won't be around for long.

considering the number of americans that are backing this war, instead of bush you'll probably find someone else (more intelligent), that'll continue present US policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Is George Bush prepared to back down if Saddam comes clean to the satisfaction of the inspectors?

I hope that he would take some credit in making Saddam comply with the resolution.

But are we pre-judging the UN report?

If the UN report is Anti-Iraq - What can we do?

France & Russia seem to have strategic interists in Iraq.

We have an interest in continued direct investment by US companies in Ireland.

I think we need to make sure that we do not alienate Irish America while not abandoning our morality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you haven't already done so, you should read "stupid white men." The first 30 pages where it breaks dowm the election rigging in Florida and the make up of the Busd administration is breathtaking. The idea that I get from it is that Bush is little more than a puppet being controlled by his dads old cronies. I think the poll choice "'cos Rummy tells him to" may be fairly close to reality.

I think we need to make sure that we do not alienate Irish America while not abandoning our morality.

huh? Abondoning our morality? - what morality?

as for abandoning Irish america, well, they're american not irish.
    I hope that he would take some credit in making Saddam comply with the resolution.

Some credit, when he himself is willing to dissolve Nato? Or when he's prepared to bring the world to war, over his over inflated ego? This proposed war has got to be one of the least documentated ventures the US have ever presented to the UN. The evidence isn't exactly, all that good. Its very intangible, and half of it looks to be falsified.

Hmmmm... can we impeach Bush for supplying false evidence to the UN?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by PH01
    But on the bright side, November 2004 isn't too long away. And if the democrats can get their act together, Bushie boy and his cronnies won't be around for long.

I would suspect part of the reasoning behind the war stance is exactly because there is an election 18 months(ish) away.
    Generally, war is seen as a good thing by administrations for getting the votes (ignoring Pop Bush of course).

Hell, their next step will probably be to declare martial law and suspend democracy while the "war against terror/evil/blah blah" continues, so all they have to do is go after North Korea after Iraq, then Iran, Palestine, Somalia, Cuba, Syria, China, Russia, France, Germany, Belgium, etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by Cork

OMG if hear this chestnut one more time... Its more played out than a new Westlife single!!!

For the last time. American companies don't give a sh1te about Irish politics other than those that relate to tax breaks for foreign investment. The only time there going to move on is when they find somewhere more economically viable.

As Vivien from The Young Ones said:

"The next person that says that, I'm going to stick their head through a window!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by klaz
    Iraq would be a nice base of operations, if the US decide that the Middle East should be cleaned up.

Yea because it worked last time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Firstly, I'd like to reiterate what Loomer said. American companies are not interested in Irish politics, they are interested in Irish taxation rates, the Irish financial climate and how this affects their bottom lines. That is all.

Secondly, I'd like to say that your apparent willingness to make a judgement on the value of the lives of the people of Iraq based on some percieved risk to Irish jobs marks your basic morality out as pretty damn lacking - and is one of the more disgusting examples of "looking after number one" that I've seen of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Ireland is a sitting duck for a terrorist attack. Allowing Shannon to be used by the US military is not in our best interests at all. If some bombs start going off, the companies will be falling over themselves to get out anyway.

Ireland is a sitting duck for a terrorist attack. Allowing Shannon to be used by the US military is not in our best interests at all. If some bombs start going off, the companies will be falling over themselves to get out anyway.

The Republic has Always been a sitting duck for terrorist attacks. Maybe thats why there's such co-operation between the rangers and other european anti-terrorist squads. Having Americans shuttle thru shannon, will not make us more of a terrorist target. If that was the case they'd hit Britain since their actively helping the US in their war-effort.

These companies didn't leave the north during the troubles, nor did they leave Britain during the IRA's bombing campaign. The companies will stay as long as they continue to receive tax cuts, and pay-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

From CNN:

Meanwhile, in a separate Capitol Hill hearing Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said a new message believed to be from Osama bin Laden says he "is in partnership with Iraq."

Powell said he reviewed a transcript of the message, which he said was to air on the Al-Jazeera Arab news satellite television channel, which operates out of Qatar. "(Bin Laden) speaks to the people of Iraq and talks about their struggle and how he is in partnership with Iraq," Powell said.

Asked for reaction to Powell's claim, Al-Jazeera denied it had such a message from bin Laden, saying news of it was a rumor that has been circulating for several weeks.

"(Bin Laden) speaks to the people of Iraq and talks about their struggle and how he is in partnership with Iraq," Powell said.

which would help the US's stance against Iraq. Sounds like the US are grasping at straws to convince the international community that Iraq is a threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hell, their next step will probably be to declare martial law and suspend democracy

Pay attention please, that process started with the Patriot Act.

Coming soon to a cinema near you: Patriot II: The Smell of FUD

J. Edgar'd wet himself. The Boys probably will.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

Bush is yet more proof that man has a hell of a lot more evolving to do.....
    the question is:
    will we have time on this planet to evolve if Bush continues?
    it's a catch 22...... we're f cuked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nagilum

Originally posted by Dampsquid

Looks like this isn't BS after all..you might want to let the ink dry on the story next time you go throwing accusations around, haha. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dampsquid
    Powell said he reviewed a transcript of the message, which he said was to air on the Al-Jazeera Arab news satellite television channel, which operates out of Qatar. "(Bin Laden) speaks to the people of Iraq and talks about their struggle and how he is in partnership with Iraq," Powell said.

Powell should have listened to the whole tape. Bin Laden calling Hussein an infidel and saying that he believes in the justice of the struggle that the Iraqi people will face isn't exactly proof that Saddam and Osama are sleeping with each other. Bah humbug. So bin Laden believes that Iraqis should keep the Americans out and be prepared to do anything (including suicide bombings) to achieve that end? Now there's a surprise. Were people (Powell etc) expecting something different? Bin Laden's hardly going to turn around and say something like "invite the nice Americans in and give them a cup of tea".

Quick article on the tape here (news still breaking). Fox managed to broadcast the whole tape with a translation. The BBC site has some excerpts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that suicide bombers are absolutely the worst. Who sends these people out? Who provide compansation to their familys? Who encourages them?

I think that if the UN could bring democracy to Iraq - It would be an example to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Originally posted by Cork

I think that if the UN could bring democracy to Iraq - It would be an example to other countries.

If this is all about democracy, why doesn't Bush sit down and accept the democratic will of the security council rather than trying to use his power, influence and considerable money to force a war that needn't happen, and that will leave many thousands of Iraqi's dead !

If the US did not have their own vested interests in the region and in the country, this war would not happen . . . don't forget that the US have helped to put (and/or keep) many dictators in place over the last 30 odd years !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think that suicide bombers are absolutely the worst. Who sends these people out? Who provide compansation to their familys? Who encourages them?

The strategic logic of suicide terrorism

adam

I think that if the UN could bring democracy to Iraq - It would be an example to other countries

Whos to say that Democracy will work in Iraq. Regardless, it should be up to the Iraqi people as to which form of government that they'll have, not decided by us, or the US/UN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Regardless, it should be up to the Iraqi people as to which form of government that they'll have, not decided by us, or the US/UN
    So you support the right of the Iraqi people to be oppressed? How progressive of you...

The proposal is to give them the freedom to decide what form of government they want. A freedom which they don't have under Saddam.

So you support the right of the Iraqi people to be oppressed? How progressive of you...

read my post. I never said that. What was said that i believe that the Iraqi people have the right to choose which form of government rules. I'm not talking about keeping Saddam in power or ousting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

Originally posted by daveirl
    hmmm.... Michael Moore wrote it in his opinionated book.... hence it is taken as fact..... go figure

it's not michael moore who makes the assertions. it was another journalist called greg palast (www.gregpalast.com) who uncovered the vote-rigging and electoral roll gerrymandering. Moore simply repeated them. See Palast's book 'The Best democracy can buy' before you dismiss this.

• Advertisement

read my post. I never said that. What was said that i believe that the Iraqi people have the right to choose which form of government rules. I'm not talking about keeping Saddam in power or ousting him.
    But they don't have any such right.
    100% vote for Sadam:rolleyes: whoever organised that vote was being sarcastic.
    mm

Advertisement