Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Rhode ESB staff reject closure package

Options
  • 10-02-2003 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe this.
    Rhode ESB staff reject closure package
    Friday, 7th February, 2003
    Staff at the defunct power station in Rhode, Co Offaly today rejected a €20 million closure package worth about €250,000 each over 10 years.
    No electricity has been generated at Rhode since an explosion in May 2001. Yet up to 100 "workers" clock in every day at a cost of €60,000 per week to the ESB, or €6.2 million in the two years to the end of next May, the closure deadline set by the industrial council.

The company argues that a "more accurate" figure required to secure closure would be closer to €4 million, reflecting only the ongoing payment of staff's full salary for 11 months after the closure, an additional upfront net payment of €5,000, and payment of a taxable lump-sum equivalent to one year's salary after 11 months.
    After 11 months, the Rhode staff would receive the PACT terms, guaranteeing ongoing payment of half their salary until the retirement age of 60, after which they will receive a pension worth half their salary. In addition, they would receive another lump sum, equivalent to a year's full salary at age 60.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Astonishing is'nt it? I nearly crashed the van while listening to the details
    last Friday.

"Banana repuberlic, septic Isle..."etc

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

it is hard to believe

usually though in similar circumstances, it turns out that the union is holding on for something specific, or thinks that a particular group is getting badly treated

or then again they could be like the ASTI at a pie eating competition

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/360383?view=Eircomnet
    ESB ups ante with date for closure of plant
    Tuesday, 11th March, 2003
    THE ESB piled pressure on workers at the defunct Rhode power plant yesterday when the board of the semi-state decided to close the plant on April 7 next, with or without the employees' support.

The re-ballot of Rhode workers is the third time they have voted on the closure of the plant. The Rhode workers have also realised through their contacts with other workers in PowerGen that there would be little support for them if they do not agree the closure package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ESB were pretty frank about this and the 'workers' (lol) knew that it was the last deal that they would be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

I would imagine that the Rhode workers would have supported employees of other power stations during strike action in the past. Hence, they would have pretty good bargaining power in this negotiation I would imaginge. I would take a job in Rhode any day this week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by william
    I would imagine that the Rhode workers would have supported employees of other power stations during strike action in the past. Hence, they would have pretty good bargaining power in this negotiation I would imaginge. I would take a job in Rhode any day this week!!
    Hang on these guys are being paid to clock in, clock out and go home, nothing else. I don't think the other (shareholding) employees would appreciate this.

Advertisement