Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin' IE6...

Options
  • 10-02-2003 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I had IE5.0 installed on my PC (Win2k SP3) and I decided to install IE6 from a CD I have. So I popped it in the drive, installed... grand. Rebooted, connected to the net and browsing was extremely slow, so I said feck that, went into control panel, add/remove programs and restored IE5.0. That was fine, I then tried to install IE6 from a different CD that I had (both CD's were from PC Mags btw). Went through it all over again but the connection was still slow.

This time though, when I go to click on Add/Remove Progs I get this program error message:

"mshta.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows... blah"

So I can't open it. Apart from that, it seems to have messed up some programs I have and it's also messed up accounts on the comp that arent in the Admin group. Oh and right click doesnt work in IE either.

So now I'm stuck with a feck slow IE that I can't uninstall, program errors and faulty accounts.

Any ideas how to fix it? I've tried System File Checker but due to the dubious origin of the Win2k CD, it's not much help.

Ta...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't mind so much when noobs don't Google, but reglars?

Google Is Your Friend

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah but see how much easier it is for me to just click your link? ;]

Anyway, just about all of the search results tell me to to "sfc /PURGECACHE, sfc /SCANNOW" which I've already tried and isn't much help as it always asks me to insert the Win2k Pro CD (the cd I have has Pro, Server & Advanced Server all in one, so it can't find the directory it's looking for - and theres no "Browse to folder.." option. Bah.)

Square one here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

cd\win2000\english\pro\i386 in your case

/me scratches head

Nope, thats not the layout of the CD, and anyway like I said it's no use to me as theres no way of telling System File Checker where to look for the original files :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pie I will say this only once -

"Opera"

Mike.

• Advertisement

I have it... I just can't launch it ever since I installed IE6 :]

Advertisement