Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Eircom DSL over wireless network

Options
  • 10-02-2003 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I want to setup a network so that I can share my Eircom DSL connection over a wireless 802.11 network. (1 laptop/1 win 2k/ 1 win NT/ printer)

I have a USB modem provided by eircom -

I presume I will require some sort of router / wirless AP

Any ideas how I get around Eircoms policy of not sharing the connection

btw I have the standard €90 512k package

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Non expert advice:

The USB modem will probably not connect to an AP, however you could run your network in 'ad-hoc' mode. When you have got the PC and the laptop communicating for normal use (file sharing, etc.) then run ICS on your NT machine to share out the internet connection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Plug USB device in to Win2k machine set up conection sharing on the DSL interface. Plug wireless Access Point in to LAN enjoy wireless net access. Set all machines to have gateway and dns settings of the IP address of the ethernet interface of the win 2k machine.

Its that easy....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Using the USB isnt a good idea as it means one of your pcs is going to get well humped in CPU usage i have that USB modem and it abuses the crap out of the CPU and running it on a pc which is also a server will whomp it alos.

Im getting the ethernet modem soon should look into it yourself as the USB isnt a good server type option.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pmcgrath

Ok ... that sound reasonable .... However it now seems like a good idea to upgrade to a adsl wireless ethernet router ...

I can probably ask eircom to upgrade to their standard ethernet router offering and get a wireless AP or maybe I would be better off sourcing a new wireless adsl ethernet router with NAT / DHCP built in !

- I see some ppl recommend the DSL 504 but I would require wireless functionality as well

anyone got a working solution - or any suggestions would be welcome ...

PMc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

You can get a fairly cheap wireless router from Amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

If you were going to buy a new DSL modem you should probably go for a "DSL+wireless" access point thing. Just make sure it supports PPPoE if you're using it with Eircom's DSL. (I believe Esat use PPPoA)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I have a wireless network running.
    The wireless portion is all 3com cards and a 3com 6000 ap (overkill I know but it was a leaving gift when I was made redundant)

The Access point is connected to my dlink DSL 504 and all the machine route through the dlink (I.E. the ip address of the Dlink is the gateway for all the machines) I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops connected this way.

The real beuty of the DLink is the fact that it has a decent firewall built in and a four port hub.

Darren.

Advertisement