Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question ? about Star trek

• 11-02-2003 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

im wondering everytime i talk to some about startrek thay all seem to hate Voyager and ds9 and some dont even like enterprise but i liked all of em could anyone explain this !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

most of the the golden oldies and "hard core" star trek fans are(from my experience) generally of the opinion that the original is the best, everything else is ****e!

Bollox that!

i love star trek. not so much that i'd get a costume and re-decorate my house to look like the enterprise(it's been done i tell ya). but i love the show simply for the sci-fi, the technology and the adventure. i've got nothing against the original star trek, but all they ever did in it was beat up the aliens. now i like a good fight scene, but if you wanna watch ppl get beat up all the time then you're better off watch the A-Team(nothing against the A-Team, i like it too!!). :)

any real star trek fan would like them all, the original series, TNG, DS9, voyager & enterprise for the technological adventure it is. and thats all i have to say about that!

as far as the films go... ... .. most of the old ones were pretty good, so were the new ones. but does any body else agree that the last one(nemesis) was a little crap?? i was expecting a bit more from it!! :confused:

mammoth_offline1.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably because DS9, Voyager and Enterprise were/are rubbish.

It's become increasingly clear that Berman and co couldn't produce imaginitive and interesting scifi if their lives depended on it. Since TNG we've been treated to three series of recycled preachy crap, each series being worse than its precursor. We get the same old stories with a different spin on them week in week out. Theres the incredibly dull character 'building' episodes, theres the incredibly stupid action episodes, and theres the wonderfully preachy first contact type episodes. 'We are explorers, lets be friends!' Fup off.

The characters in the recent Star Trek series are badly written, generic and boring. Its a rule: Every star trek series must have an alien who slowly discovers their own 'humanity' and how the human way is the best way. Every promising character must be turned into a caricature with the personality of a piece of cardboard (good examples: Paris, Chakotay).

DS9 was a decent plot-arc based series let down by poor characters/acting and ludicrous Melrose Place-style love triangles and Ferengi trade dispute rubbish. Voyager was basically, crap. Ridiculous time travel episodes, long speeches from Janeway, erratic characterisation, Seven of Breasts, cuddly borg etc.

I watched most of the first season of Enterprise and gave up. Watching paint dry was more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I actually loved DS9.....

The storyline of the cardesian dominion invasion was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by kaids
    Watching paint dry was more entertaining.

Ahhh, the voice of experience!

Luc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

DSN Was great, voyager started off as panzies in a grily ship but turned good when they introduced the Borg. The Next Gen. was like eastenders/ the love boat on a big ship. Then Enterprise.?? I loved Star Trek but oh my god, why ruin it. PS: TOS was fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Grimes
    DSN Was great, voyager started off as panzies in a grily ship but turned good when they introduced the Borg. The Next Gen. was like eastenders/ the love boat on a big ship. Then Enterprise.?? I loved Star Trek but oh my god, why ruin it. PS: TOS was fantastic!
    Are you sure you haven't gotten TNG and DS9 mixed up there? Who is Kira dating this week? Is Odo still harping on after someone he can't have? How many people will fall in love with Dax? Will Sisko tie the knot? Find out on next weeks Deep Space Nine! Granted TNG had the occasional bit of it, but compared to DS9...

After about three seasons of Voyager they went all out for appealing to the teenage males audience. Introduce a blonde with big baps, have lots of battle scenes etc. I guess it worked to a degree, but they completely ruined the borg, they turned them into a bunch of chimps who voyager ran rings around every week.
    Originally posted by Lucutus
    Ahhh, the voice of experience!

Luc
    Ahhh, the voice of ambiguity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

i've been a trek fan for many years and i have finally run out of patience with it. It has become dull, uninventive, derivative, patronising and bland.

enterprise is the last straw. First, the theme music is just unforgiveable. A pile of steaming mullet rock that crawled out of michael bolton's scab-encrusted ringpiece.

Scott Bakula is about as heroic and captain like as a dead badger. The token black guy is just that: a token black guy. The communications officer is a whinging teenager. The engineer is a tedious texan hick whose george bush charms are utterly lost on me. Oh and throw in an uptight brit, a big-titted tart in lycra and a kooky doctor. Spare me please...

i've had enough of this tired and knackered franschise. roddenberry must be barfing in his grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hmmm i seem to be *one of the others*, i didn't like the first series but loved the rest of them. Voyager n ds9 started bad but improved over time, as has Enterprise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you know it's actually funny Voyager is my fave then DS9 and I like all the others as well EXCEPT for the original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Original was class.. but i started out with 2 seasons to go on TNG.. then i watched all the re-runs a million times and have seen a good few originals but not that many... Anyway DS9 was boring up till the Defiant and Worf arrived and as soon as sisko went bald and had the goatee then it got excellent.. especially with the dominion wars and Klingon war.

Voyager was similar.. seems good but not much more can be said... Then along comes the Borg and it gets great.. the last 2 seasons were the best.

Enterprise... well i like the theme tune actually but its a little too different to the traditional music scores... anyway the show is ok... But nothing great... sometimes its pretty good but thats rare.... i still watch it though and maybe it will get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

As far as I can see, "preachy" is Roddenberry's style; the various "Trek" series that came to pass while he was alive (and "Andromeda", for that matter) seem to confirm this. Each episode is essentially self-contained, and most have a moral or cultural overtone slathered onto a story that can be pot luck in terms of plot.

Don't get me wrong; I actually enjoy Trek (my desktop wallpaper's a rather fetching shot of the Defiant, for example); but as others have said here, Rick Berman needs to be transported into the nearest black hole (or whatever similar Paramount could feasibly do based on the laws of physics ;) ) and someone else take the reins... preferably someone with some fresh ideas?

However, if the posts in this thread tell us anything, it's that people like/dislike each respective series for distinct and varied reasons; this is good in itself, in that people take different things from each one; but there seems to be a notion within Paramount that the thing can (a) run indefinitely on its own and (b) the dumb schmucks that actually watch this (i.e. us) will continue to absorb and endure whatever's thrown at us "as long as it's Trek". I can't help but feel that the way Nemesis bombed (comparatively speaking) has shocked a few people in there, which is good, but I have my doubts as to whether they'll plan in terms of fresh minds or just can it... I suspect the latter. The fact that what many people, it seems, myself included, believe to be the best of the Trek Movies (STII: The Wrath Of Khan) was directed by someone who had no interest in Sci-Fi and had only a passing disinterest in Trek should set off alarm bells. Okay, I wouldn't go running out after said Nicholas Meyer (after all, his last work of genius was the awful Collateral Damage, so he may have lost his touch since STII and Fatal Attraction) but it's thought-provoking, no?

With regard to Enterprise, there's so much stuff out there for them to draw on; so many things (technologies, practices, etc.) that are introduced as "part of the furniture" in TOS have to have their backgrounds filled in, the interrelations of the various races have to be sorted out (for example, how did the war with the Klingons start?) yet they're stalling quite noticeably in the second season. The token "bad guys" (the Suliban) seem more interesting and promising than most of their efforts in this line in the past; the laughable Kazons are a good example here. They're already 15 episodes into season 2, and of the fifteen, there wasn't any real stand-out brilliant one, except, perhaps the 1st one. Even if you look at this from a purely commercial stance, the people in Paramount will really want this to hit the magic 100 episodes (to allow them to syndicate the show ad infinitum and milk it for all it's worth) - at the rate things are going, it'll be lucky to get much past 50.

Argh, I don't know any more...
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

i thought that dsn was crap but there were a few good things about it all the same, it was for one thing too goody goody and it had what really annoys me about the non original star trek series the lets do this and this and this and this its a long shot but it might just work and if it does they'll call it the pisshead maneuvour 67896786+n and it'll change space something or other for ever but it never does and it always works every single time and whats really annoying is the way they tend to talk when they're making it up like they're explaining it to us and finishing each others conversation both at the same time. All the same you'd think they'd have made a dsn film by now.I'd probably watch it when it came on tv or if someone else in the family rented it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

Originally posted by the-raptor
    you know it's actually funny Voyager is my fave then DS9 and I like all the others as well EXCEPT for the original

lol, im the same only different, i like ds9 the best then voyager and i like the rest except for enterprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

Indeed.

Does anyone like star wars, or the Ewok film the Battle for Endor?

What about the final fantasy movie. I thought it was good enough although i thought that it would be a lot better.Pity because they'll probably not make any more now and they could have been good.If they had thrown magic and such like the series ,jese not even a dragon ,my god what were they thinking.

Anyone read any of the many startrek books, some were pretty good. I'm not big into reading myself, if only they'd made as many films,maybe,could have been lame i suppose.

Any good startrek computer games floating about?
    Any good magic the gathering type card games in existence for Star Trek?

Anyone like Earth the Final Conflict created by Gene Rodenberry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Anyone read any of the many startrek books, some were pretty good. I'm not big into reading myself, if only they'd made as many films,maybe,could have been lame i suppose.

The Return by Shatner would have made a pretty good film. I think he offered it to Paramount back in 94/95 but they wanted to make a TNG only film(First Contact - which didnt turn out all that bad!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by azezil
    Hmmm i seem to be *one of the others*, i didn't like the first series but loved the rest of them. Voyager n ds9 started bad but improved over time, as has Enterprise.

Me too.

TOS was silly. Same fec.king crap over and over...

Kirk beam's down to planet...unnamed security officer gets whacked: He's dead jim ™ Kirk takes off his clothes, fights a big guy in a silly looking suit...Kirk gets the girl.

Fire those retrorockets, sh00t the footon torpedos and make us go that way ™

Berman gave alot of fans what they wanted...battles / war / lots of weapons and 10 out of 10 i mean 7 of 9 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I really liked DS9. I always found the story's to be sooo much better than TNG and later Voyager. This I felt was due to them being stuck on a space station mostly. Sure the early episodes were kinda corny but the later ones got very dark, or as dark as Star Trek will ever get anyways.

Voyager was terriable at the start with the usual rehash of TNG and TOS episodes. The constant moral high ground of Janeway and the constant personalty changes she went through from one episode to another was just bad writting. The ratings for the show only picked up when they brough 7 of 9 and the Borg into it and they even managed to turn the borg into wimps.

I cant stand Enterprise tho. Its just so bad. As has been stated by so many people here, its just a carbon copy of past Star Trek show's with carbon copy's of the various character type's the other show's had. The usual wacky doctor, boring officers and big brested chick in licra just prove that Paramount will keep rehashing the same safe and tested formula over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by kaids
    Probably because DS9, Voyager and Enterprise were/are rubbish.

It's become increasingly clear that Berman and co couldn't produce imaginitive and interesting scifi if their lives depended on it. Since TNG we've been treated to three series of recycled preachy crap, each series being worse than its precursor. We get the same old stories with a different spin on them week in week out. Theres the incredibly dull character 'building' episodes, theres the incredibly stupid action episodes, and theres the wonderfully preachy first contact type episodes. 'We are explorers, lets be friends!' Fup off.

The characters in the recent Star Trek series are badly written, generic and boring. Its a rule: Every star trek series must have an alien who slowly discovers their own 'humanity' and how the human way is the best way. Every promising character must be turned into a caricature with the personality of a piece of cardboard (good examples: Paris, Chakotay).

DS9 was a decent plot-arc based series let down by poor characters/acting and ludicrous Melrose Place-style love triangles and Ferengi trade dispute rubbish. Voyager was basically, crap. Ridiculous time travel episodes, long speeches from Janeway, erratic characterisation, Seven of Breasts, cuddly borg etc.

I watched most of the first season of Enterprise and gave up. Watching paint dry was more entertaining.

Couldn't agree more. I only like TNG to be honest. Excellent series. It had everything in my opinion. I feel the same way as "kaids" about the rest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I haven’t been watching it religiously or anything (in fact, I couldn't even tell you if its still on atm), but I actually quite enjoy Enterprise. It's certainly more watchable than Voyager.

...that said though, I can only hope that Rick n' pals find themselves a clue sometime soon. Like, what happened to that 'first disastrous encounter' with the Klingon Empire?? or the earth/romulan war?? all the sh.t we've been hearing about since the beginning of trek... nows your chance bermin!! GO! GIVE US THE ROMULANS!! WE WILL WATCH AGAIN! ALL WILL BE FORGIVEN!!! a$$hole

DS9 I liked, but I completely lost track of it when they started the whole dominion / cardasian war thing.

TNG and TOS (to a slightly lesser extent) own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

TOS was great, you can't beat kirk.

1: Beam Down

2:Shag Alien

3:Find out Alien is trying to Take control of ship

4:Shoot Alien!

Trek X was basically a Kirk story, it was Wrath of Khan rehashed. Why did it suck, because Picard doesn't have the hatred and passion of Kirk. Far too rational, how many Aliens has Picard shagged???

• Advertisement
Advertisement