Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Grech last night..

Options
  • 11-02-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

I'd heard his album Open Heart Zoo a few times, so I sorta knew what to expect; Muse meets Radiohead with a very strong lead voice... (not really my thing at all)..
    Was surprised it was a lot more rocking that I thought it would be, and a lot more than on the album.. most of the songs were very polished though, almost too rehearsed (guy on the left kept taking his cues from the laptop, which was running off samples and beats every now and again).
    Instantly struck by the guys voice, very very impressed, yet all the way through thought to myself "ok , this is great and all but if they took that half-second echo off it it'd be better"... and was pleasantly surprised when he done an acoustic solo bit, which confirmed the amazing voice the guy has... probably one of the best I've heard in the past few years..
    Definitely worth the money anyway, although I think a bit of spontanaeity (from the band) would add to their live performance, and by the looks of it they're well capable of doing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bukowski

Yeah, excellent gig, the guys voice is absolutely amazing, I could even forgive the fact that they were all so annoyingly young. Seems like he wants to ROCK when maybe he should be doing more acoustic stuff to really showcase that voice.
    Not madly impressed with Nick Kelly though, it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

I thought he was amazing, a phenomenal performer. A little like watching scenes from The Exorcist. And that voice - I agree with you, it's the best I've heard in years.

The way I see it, there is a fair bit of individual character in his writing, even though his influences shine through a little too clearly here and there. But he is VERY young - with any luck, those ties to other bands will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i heard an ad for the gig and it sounded brill, but i couldnt go the night it was on

so the albums good....i dunno if i''d like it if its *that* rocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The album is not that rocky.

I got it for €13 in a sale in virgin you might still be able to get a copy at that price well worth getting.

Advertisement