Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee Killed the Tiger.

Options
  • 11-02-2003 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed this as well.

<rant>

1. George Lee looks and acts like an undertaker burying the Celtic Tiger every time I see him on telly..

2. I have NEVER seen George Lee announcing Good news on telly.

3. I have never seen George Lee looking or acting happy and upbeat, that may mean he was announcing good news but I didn't notice.

4. I have never seen George Lee tell a bad story where I was not left with the impression that the real news was actually WORSE...it may have been George's intonation or body language or the way he moans loudly at the bad bits, I dunno. say "two thouuuusand jobs gone" in a George Lee accent to see what I mean.

5. I suspect that if George Lee DID tell us good news that we would not notice anymore.....its a presentational thing. We are too used to the George/Bad synergy by now.

ENOUGH

The man is depressing. Can RTÉ please find someone else to talk about layoffs or downsizing or budgetary black holes or whatever. George has currently outlived his usefulness.

We NEED good news and if we are not going to GET good news then we need someone like Ciaran Mullooly who has a facility for letting us down gently with the bad news while leaving a vague impression that better times are ahead..... That vague impression of better days ahead is a must now.

You have killed the Tiger George, that was an achievement that will stand with you forever. Now GO!

</rant>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Leaving aside George Lee's downbeat demeanour, I've come to question his ability quite a bit in the past six months. The guy does know his economics, sure, but based on a few statements since the summer, I'm pretty sure he's making a few basic mistakes in his conclusions. He's probably a better accountant or auditor than economist imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If I saw GL appear across a crowded pub ....on telly....with the sound turned down, I would feel depressed immediately. He has that quality of the night about him. On radio I could handle him but on the telly !!

Thats the effect he now has on me, I cannot be the only one in Ireland who noticed this :confused: surely!

Think of the National Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the problem isn't George Lee, but that other personalities get the juicier good news, he just has to give the bad news (or the bits the others don't understand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The main problem with George Lee is that he's transformed himself from humble reporter to high-powered (in his own mind) comentator.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Lol Muck. George sometimes reminds me of a Charlie Bird in training.

You're right about Ciaran though, he's way better for bad news but maybe he'll turn into George if he has to do it. The Bull Island piss take of George is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

this time he flagged a .5% interest rate cut which will save me €1k a year on the mortgage (bit vapourlicious George) .....and it sounded like bad news .....

gerrrim OFF

Charlie Bird has this infectious "ye really must hear this now" quality about him...even when its not worth hearing. No comparison with glum George.

For the good of us all, RTE please...do the decent thing.

Advertisement