Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing Up Cds

• 11-02-2003 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Right first off this isnt a "Warez" thread, I want to back up a Game i bought (Age Of Mythology) cause i always lose CDs or scratch them to bits. The game was €50 and i have no intention of buying a new one if i wreck this copy!
    Ive tried to copy it using Nero but it keeps saying "Cd unreadable Error" or Something like that. So theres obviously something on the CD that stops copying. Is there a program out there that can get past this?

Thanks
    Gar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try using clone CD - http://www.elby.ch - You can download it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Have you tried to create an image of the game??

you can do this through nero,

(when it says test/test+burn/burn) dialog there is a box for create image

click that and it will create an image of the cd
    you can then write a file using this image

or else try clone cd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

hi

to put it simply, yes there is!

and its fairly easy to do, first off i dont know what security measures the disk has, but its usually to do with the type of disk its read off, ie wont be read of a cd-r

first thing to do is copy a image of the cd to your hard disk, use clone cd or something, not sure if nero does it, you just need the image, not a copy, next go to http://www.daemon-tools.com/ and download it this program will let you have 1-4 virtual cd/dvd drives on your computer, mount the image onto the virtual drive - right click on the icon in your system tray when daemon is running, click mount find the image <*.bin, or *.cue, there are a few other extensions too but bin and cue are the most common>, it'll be where you asked cloned cd or whatever to save it. now right click daemon tools again and turn the copy protection ignore things on, all three of them. go to my computer and you'll see age of mythology in one of the virtual drives, just run the game then - double click the virtual cd!

all things going well, theh game will run off what it thinks os the cd, but is actually the hard drive, so lloading times will be quick!

if you dont want the virtual drives when your finished, then right click on the icon in the tray, click unmount all, right click again, exit.

next time you start windows you wont have any virtual drives, unless you run the program again.

very handy to always keep them though!

next take your origional cd and keep it safe!

hope this helps,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

And with clone cd you can do the same thing.
    Just goto my computer and right click on the clone cd virtual cd and click mount :)

But deamon tools is much better as it does a wider variety and more drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

mmmmm my old basic version of clone cd doesnt do that, but daemon probably does more as you say, plus 4 drives is just handy, for large games(2cd) or vcds <that span more then one disk!> or dvds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

yeah clone cd comes with virtual drives now

I found teh new version very good

also, on the virtual drive the icon is a big sheep, which is very distinguishable from normal drives

*Edit

You can also unmount/mount from my computer, ie right click the cd-drive, rather than the task bar ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah it came out in one of the latter versions of Clone CD.
    I think Demon Tools can do 8 cd's iirc.

Advertisement