Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv card suggestions

Options
  • 11-02-2003 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭

can anyone suggest a good (cheap) tv card for pc. I'm looking for one that I can use to record programs to the harddrive with as well as hook up to a digital amp for sound.

any suggestions............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Personally i use my saphaire ati 9000 128meg card it's got vivo on it so it's ok als o they include software to capture with it cos me about €120 off www.komplett.ie and it's cool 4 gaming also

1st thing though u need a big HDD and a fast pc cos u will loose a ton of frames

If u need help with capture goto

h**p://www.vcdhelp.com

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

How fast a pc do you recommend ?? also does it just take in a normal ariel connection and can I output the signal to a normal tv (for watching divx/dvd etc)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

That card will just take a composite signal - i.e. you'll need a seperate TV tuner to get the likes of RTE1, BBC etc. (A VCR will do the trick).

If you'd prefer an all in one solution you could try the ATI "All in Wonder" range, I'm not sure how much or best place to buy but they're farily OK cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

so there isn't tuning capabilities in the software ?
    and i presume you can digitise old vhs tapes using such thangs :/
    (?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by parasite
    so there isn't tuning capabilities in the software ?
    and i presume you can digitise old vhs tapes using such thangs :/
    (?)

Nope nor the hardware.

Yeh with a VCR and the right leads you can capture VHS tapes into.....many formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

is there something else i could use instead of a vcr ...that's not very convenient , is there some kind of aerial + tuner type thing with a composite cable attached
    :?/

should research this whole area...

is there a good PCI equivalent of the aforementioned saphire, gah no agp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm using the Creative 3D Blaster Personal Cinema to record all of the eps of Seinfeld from the Paramount channel at the moment:

h**p://ie.europe.creative.com/estore/product.asp?prod=260

€148 but it's a fun bit of kit. €350ish from Compustore by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have an old Hauppahe WinTV card..
    Has a TV tuner (of course!)..
    Cost me about IR#30 way back when...

You can use it to record TV, but given that it's an old card, framerates wouldn't be that great...

Have a look at the Hauppage range.. They're pretty good...
    http://www.hauppage.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 validis

I use a oldish Pinnacle PCTV Pro card.
    you can pick the new ones off komplett.ie,
    if you havn't used it yet get your hands on showshifter
    its a great prgram that lets you do a whole media centre type thing. well worth checking out. will save all simpsons etc , and record divx on the fly, also you can pause the program , and come back and watch it.
    other features
    mp3 jukebox
    photo viewer
    video file viewer

• Advertisement
Advertisement