Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] NY Post: "I want to kick the collective butts of France"

Options
  • 11-02-2003 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

front021003.gif
    These kids died to save the French from a tyrant named Adolf Hitler.

And now, as more American kids are poised to fight and die to save the world from an equally vile tyrant, Saddam Hussein, where are the French?

Hiding. Chickening out. Proclaiming, Vive les wimps!
    I read these names with tears in my eyes and fury in my heart:

"Walter F. Rober, Pvt., 358 Inf., 90 Div., New York, July 13, 1944; Angelo Cauca, Pvt., 8 Inf., 4 Div., New Jersey, June 21, 1944; John Hernandez, Pvt., 8 Inf., 4 Div., Nebraska, June 23, 1944."

These names mean nothing to the French, 91 percent of whom, according to a poll, are against President Bush's plans to make Saddam a dark mark in history.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02102003/commentary/68775.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

That is a truely woeful article

"But then again, the French are against everything, including that curious American habit of showering every day."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The New York Post isn't a serious paper. I'd rank it alongside the National Enquirer and other such rubbish.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

That Dunleavy guy is some prick.

Xenophobia anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

The NY Post has a circulation of half a million copies per day, so even though it's not exactly the NY Times, there's still over half a million people being warped by this article..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

The NY Post has a circulation of half a million copies per day, so even though it's not exactly the NY Times, there's still over half a million people being warped by this article..

Assuming they buy it to read it. Maybe toilet paper's expensive in New York these days?

Oh and it's owned by Rupert Murdoch, who said today that he supported the UK and US stance on Iraq and that "he believed US President George W Bush was acting morally and that the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, was courageous".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Sky news should be taken off the air and the Sun should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Originally posted by The Saint
    Sky news should be taken off the air and the Sun should be banned.

Yes, freedom of speech and freedom to opinions are brilliant as long as they are the same as your opinions and speech, right saint?

I think that the world can live without the racism and nonsence the Sun ****s out. I find that the world can go on without the knowledge that Jordan went up another cup size. It is not a newspaper.

How about Fox News with their 'fair and balanced' coverage! It has to be the most opinionated right-wing crap on TV.

<Edit> Bill O'Reilly 'fair and balanced': :)

http://www.outcastradio.com/streams/glick.ram

As is all the crap Murdoch does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its fair and balanced for anyone who wants it to be :)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 utopio

I think they can't write something like that. France presented their opinion and nobody else can change it, they just have to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Oh and it's owned by Rupert Murdoch, who said today that he supported the UK and US stance on Iraq and that "he believed US President George W Bush was acting morally and that the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, was courageous".

You forgot the end part to clinch the argument. He also said that the one thing the war could being us was oil @ 20 dollars a barrel after its over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...he's proberly right ;) As for the French the Yanks have never rated them much.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Assuming they buy it to read it. Maybe toilet paper's expensive in New York these days?

Oh and it's owned by Rupert Murdoch

Now it all makes sense. The job spec for reporters for these rags must read...

"Redneck wanted for journalistic position, integrity not essential, pinko liberals or democrats need not apply"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The anti-Frenchism (for want of a better word) is pretty bad in the last couple of days. Prehaps the Americans forgot that French people also died in WWII while the US held back at the start of the war.

Its not just that paper, another was reported (CNN?) as calling the French Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys.

But this sort of tantrum throwing is typical. Look at Saudi Arabia, no peep from US press over SA telling Bush (sic) "To go his own way, and we will go ours" in relation to Israel/Palistine, but shortly afterwards loads of negative SA press.

At least the French are letting it roll off thier back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ah but the anti-frenchism is funny AND true:)

The articles are a tad over the top and emotional but I guess these lads are puzzled as to why it was okay to fight and die for the French but its not okay to fight and die for the Iraqis? It seems to be one rule for the french and another rule for arabs:| If the US had followed Frances present course of action theyd be speaking German in Paris. But at least the US would have taken a bold step for world peace:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yes, because of course, during World War 2 the USA was so keen to get involved right from the start when its allies in Europe were attacked. It supported the war right from the outset and was straight in there like a shot to help the French at the siege of Paris and...

Oh wait, no. They actually sat on their backsides until Pearl Harbour, at which point France had been occupied for ages already and a hell of a lot of French people had died.

Yeah, the US has a real right to take the high and mighty on this one over World War 2. Never mind the fact that dragging up 60 year old history to condemn a country for taking a principled and popular stance (yes I know about their oil interests) is the act of a cowardly nation in the first place - not afraid to go to war, but desperately afraid to have to defend its beliefs in the court of international politics, because then the whole house of cards could crumble.

It wasn't just the French who were described as "cheese eating surrender monkeys"; that accusation was levelled at the whole of Europe. Well, as a European, for once I'm proud to stand as a "cheese eating surrender monkey" alongside the French. A lot more proud than I would be to stand alongside the leaders of Britain or Ireland this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ What he said.

I'm very sick of people likening this 'conflict' to WWII. It's nothing like WWII. Saddam isn't actively attempting to annex every country within his grasp.

When the Americans entered World War II, most of mainland Europe was either already devastated/occupied by the Germans, or dangerously at risk from it. It would be nice to think the Americans became involved in order to spare Europe from a fascist dictator who was almost unstoppable by the rest of Europe, helping their allies who were fighting for their homelands.

Pls tell me how this compares at all. The Americans are fighting for what? Well, no-one exactly knows for sure, expect Georgie. While Saddam might be a right prick, he's not actually doing anything, or posing any particular threat to the US or any of its Allies. Please tell me how, by fighting with the US in Iraq, people will be "dying and fighting for the USA", because I can't see any moral or social benefits for the Americans through the waging of this war apart from cheaper gasoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It supported the war right from the outset

It did actually - The US leadership were keen to get involved (warmongering bastardos eh ? ) but faced a hard time persuading the American population who were happy to stay well away from another of Europes wars. So instead the US industries funded Britains ( including their European irregualr forces like the "free French" ) and later the USSRs war efforts, allowing Britain in particular to fight way above its weight. When Pearl Harbour occured the US leadership got the backing it required, not only to fight the Japanese but also to liberate Europe - which had little or nothing to do with them, where hitler and his panzers posed an absolutely minimal threat to US freedoms and their way of life.
    afraid to go to war, but desperately afraid to have to defend its beliefs in the court of international politics,

Perhaps a court of internal *politics* could never be described as a fair or just court? Im glad you admit politics would play the pivotal role in any "judgement".
    It wasn't just the French who were described as "cheese eating surrender monkeys"; that accusation was levelled at the whole of Europe. Well, as a European, for once I'm proud to stand as a "cheese eating surrender monkey" alongside the French. A lot more proud than I would be to stand alongside the leaders of Britain or Ireland this week

The french actually as far as I could tell in the above articles I trawled through. Im glad your wearing the badge of "cheese easting surrender monkeys" with pride though, such defiance and dignity burdened by such a ridiculous title brings a tear to my eye - probably of laughter though:D

More great journalism from the NY Post this morning...
    Weasel so-called allies France and Germany will hear fresh evidence today of Iraqi stonewalling, at an 11th-hour showdown with the United States in the U.N. Security Council.
    As chief weapons inspector Hans Blix gives his final report, Secretary of State Colin Powell has vowed to confront the war wimps

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/54408.htm

Does Murdoch own the NY Post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i think they are just trying to be controversial , to get the ratings in. Cheap, but not unheard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

The euro bashing is all a bit silly. The Americans ran away from a lightly armed peasant army in Vietnam for god's sake. And what about WW1? The battle of Verdun lasted something like 10 months and cost 700,000 casualties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

France? Where the heck is that? Is that a city near Boston?

;)

Murdoch does own the NY Post! So that's Fox/Sky News/NY Post - the three biggest war mongers so far...

http://www.newscorp.com/operations/newspapers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

You know that famous date in American history, July 4 1776, didn't the French play a major role in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Americans have a history?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Yes, and they can thank the French for it. Because otherwise they'd still be a British colony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I'd agree with that, The French are a bunch of wussies with short memories.

as the saying goes
    'Vive la France, Vive le Guerre, Vive le Brave Legionnaire.'
    Except that the French Legionnaires are a brunch of big girls blouses who dont like getting sand on their uniforms...///sorry...petticoats. :D :mad: :rolleyes: :confused:

Advertisement