Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Drives overheating

• 11-02-2003 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, in recent months, I've had a problem with both of my CD Drives (One CD-RW one CD-ROM) overheating. Basically, I get maybe 20 minutes out of one from a cold start, before it stops being able to read the disc. On removing the disc, it's quite hot (~ 75 deg.), so it's probably unreadable because it's expanded slightly. If I cool the disc down, it works fine again, but doesn't take long to heat up again.

The comp itself has plenty of ventilation. The two drives are beside eachother in the case, and there's a ZIP drive above them, on top of the case. Even running with the case off, the two drives get quite hot, when there's a disc in them. Without a disc they don't heat up, obviously.

Any ideas? All I can think of is that both drives are a bit old......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by seamus

The comp itself has plenty of ventilation. The two drives are beside eachother in the case, and there's a ZIP drive above them, on top of the case.

Anyway you can move the zip disk between them? or seperate them in anyway, i had teh same problem and i had to do this as they wouldnt work at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

hmmm - you can get special cooling gear for hard drives - maybe they're available for CD-ROMs too? Check on some of the cooling websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Just take out one of the drives from its bay and sit it on the base of the PC Case. I had my second hard drive sitting on a stack of empty CD cases in my PC for years and never did it any harm :) Always worked a treat when I had to swap the hard drive out for a different one.

Advertisement