Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What has the EU ever done fo us?" (no mnty pyth jokes plz :)

Options
  • 11-02-2003 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Someone said to me recently that joining the EU was the worst thing that ever happened to this country, and that 'foreigners are taking over the country'.

I think this is the most ignorant comment ( no offense to supporters of my friends opinion) I have ever heard. I think it's a very begrudging attitude. BUT I don't really have any facts/figures to back myself up.

Can anyone point me in the diretion of some facts/stats re EU funding in Ireland etc.? I read everywhere that we nearly did the best out of all member countries, but again...facts? figures?

Thanks,
    merlin_bar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

You mean structural funds? ...probably billions. You can throw money at anything but its the people that make things happen. Sometimes funding can have the opposite effect ie: farming. Iceland although relatively self sufficient with its "own sea" etc does fairly well on its own. Singapore is another great example of a small country (with strict immigration control :) ) which does well without being swallowed up by a superstate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Look at any sign on public building sites for roads and the sort and see where the project is partly funded by. Its a shame that the people that are given the money havent a clue how to use it. The EU have given the Irish an astronomical amount of money but of course it was, and still is being squandered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The EU has made Ireland less a slave of the UK ecomony, its broadend ppls horizons (maybe!), its built all our decent roads, its cleaned up our water and sewerage (which is important), its forced Ireland to adopt more social progressive laws. Just a few things the EU has done for us...

Mike.

The Eu has also given Ireland a voice in the world political theatre. Before joining the Eu, i doubt too many people listened to what Ireland had to say. now, at least they can vote/veto anything that affects europe as a whole.

Originally posted by mike65
    its cleaned up our water and sewerage (which is important), Mike.
    I wouldn't agree with that now...
    There is a largish town on the East Coast, I won't name it to embarass it, where they haven't been able to drink the tap water for over two months due to e-coli.
    The Raw untreated sewrage from this towns 10,000+ inhabitants is discharged untreated into the local river and washes up on the local beach, it's disgusting.
    The E.U have had funding in place for over ten years to build a sewrage treatment plant in that town but a small group of local residents have used every planning trick in the book to stall the building of the plant and even went to europe with their objections. The E.U funding is now in jepordy and the towns GP surgeries are over run with patients with Diarhoea.
    Welcome to local politics Irish style - 2003 :rolleyes:
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

do farmers not get a EU grant ?
    Laws concerning social security and quality of life have been implemented. Money ! The watchful eye of Europe on the inflation and other EU rules set to make trade easier across borders. I just think the money Ireland has received is not always visible for you and me. And it's more then money (as benefit), you can work and travel within the EU without hassle for example.

And to be honest your friend should be thankful just try to imagine an Ireland before EU and now, and then try to imagine how far you would have come without EU.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The E.U have had funding in place for over ten years to build a sewrage treatment plant in that town but a small group of local residents have used every planning trick in the book to stall the building of the plant and even went to europe with their objections. The E.U funding is now in jepordy and the towns GP surgeries are over run with patients with Diarhoea

Man don't blame the EU for Irish planning corruption and general jiggery-pokery!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Ok apart from the farmers' Grant, the sewage, Roads, structural funds, Giving Ireland a voice on an international level What has the EU ever done for us
    no mnty pyth jokes plz :)

Sorry couldn't help it. :D

pfj.jpg

The People's Front Of Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

The EU has contributed hugely to Research Programmes in Ireland for educational institutions and this money is granted on a proposal basis. For some info on the scheme see
    the HEA website itmwill give you an indication of some of the monies our colleges/IT's have received.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"Is this the most stupid question ever?"

I vote yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by merlin_bar
    Can anyone point me in the diretion of some facts/stats re EU funding in Ireland etc.? I read everywhere that we nearly did the best out of all member countries, but again...facts? figures?
    I've heard of a figure of approximately €40bn in all funds. It has also taken Ireland out of the parochial view (where women have to give up work when they marry), improved worker rights.

Improved consumer rights.

Improved standardisation of products.

Structural funds allowed many authorities and companies to plan work.

By centralising some research (social, economic, scientific) if has empowered people to make more informed decisions.

It has been strong in the campaign against smoking.

It means I don't need separate 4 currencies when driving to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By the end of this year, Ireland will have received a net €34bn in EU transfers since our entry in 1973. This is almost equivalent to the total national debt which stood at some €36bn at the end of 2001. Over the period of our membership, Ireland received transfers of € 31bn in respect of the Common Agricultural Policy and € 16bn in respect of the Structural and Cohesion Funds. These receipts have played a pivotal role in supporting our agricultural sector and therefore the rural economy, and in laying the foundations for our successful modern economy, especially through upskilling our labour force and enhancing our infrastructure.

receipts = €36bn + €13bn + other funds (ESF etc) =€49bn+
    net = €34bn = receipts - contributions = €49bn+ - contributions
    => contributions of €15bn+

Advertisement