Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne

Options
  • 27-07-2001 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

The graphics, the voice acting, the story and the way it's told in a graphics novel style, the slow motion shoot out (bullet time)...everything is top notch. Didn't expect it to be this good but I am well impressed. Get this when it's released.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Im planning to..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Seems very good so far. I don't like the voice acting though, Payne's voice sounds like something out of a bad B movie and some of his lines are pretty painful. Still, the bullet time is class smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kaids (edited 27-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

NYOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Saw the video of this in pcg. I believe sico hit the nail on the head when he said
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    NYOM </font>

yes bullet time is an interesting thing as its like an imitation of the matrix yolk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

" Seems very good so far. I don't like the voice acting though, Payne's voice sounds like something out of a bad B movie and some of his lines are pretty painful. Still, the bullet time is class "

Strange you can say thay seeing as how the game isn't released yet.... tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex:
    yes bullet time is an interesting thing as its like an imitation of the matrix yolk</font>
    Jump diving into a room in slow motion while shooting with 2 guns in your hands, surely that's a John Woo thing smile.gif. Interestingly enough, the 2nd difficulty level is called Hard Boiled, can't remember the rest.

As for the voice acting, yeah the imagery in the monologues can be over the top but I though it works quite well. And the quality of the voice acting is very good.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 27-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i was nearly crying last night... watched the intro while i lit a smoke...the tension and the emotions ran until 4am until sleep took over...its a classic.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The demo of Max Payne is alledgedly exclusive on this months PC Format for those hpb'ers/snl refugees out there. Gonna play that this weekend.

Op Flashpint got a good review so based on that and the good reaction here to it I'm going to pick up that and probably Blue Shift because, despite it's 74% review, it'll be nice to have orange, green and blue Half-life cds.

Someday I might actually get sick of FPS. But not today, oh no.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

I read the feature in PCG and the Makers of Max Payne - reckon that they had thought of the idea of "Bullet Time" before "The Matrix" was released.

Cool
    biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'm really curious to find out how the third person perspective plays. How do you guys find it?

K

AMP: I guess this is a TPS?

[EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks that Max looks permanently constipated? mad.gif]

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 27-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

From what I've played, it's very, very ****ing good smile.gif

Bit short on the first play, but when you finish it you open up new (harder?) modes to play; as far as I can see the modes you open are decided on how you play (I got New York Minute and Hard Boiled, while Dead on Arrival, which is between the others on the menu is still blanked out).

Best game I've played in a long time; I'll never get tired of watching those sniper rifle bullets zooming toward the victim in slo-mo biggrin.gif
    Essential purchase methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Best game I've ever played in my whole life.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm quite dissapointed with the game to be honest frown.gif

Forty quid of my hard earned pilaging money spent on what shouldn't have taken 4 years to make.

The bullet time is a nice innovation. I'll give it that. The gameplay gets a bid repetative though. Once I had slow-mo'd my way down stairs a few time in mid-air(which I must admit was a damn good laugh smile.gif), it got a bit repetative. It came to a point where you couldn't really run in with all guns blazing in real time, slow mo was a necessity.

It's alright, besides the finicky slow-mo action, there's nothing special :/

Not worth £40 and shouldn't have taken 4 years to make.

All I can hope is that DN Forever is not as dissapointing as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:

AMP: I guess this is a TPS?

[EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks that Max looks permanently constipated? mad.gif]
    </font>

**** . Max is TPS? I fupping hate TPS! Ah well sure I'll give it a bash.

But seriously though, why do programmers think that a camera outside of the head is a good idea? It's pants that's what it is. I mean it's just plain wrong. Platformers can get away with it allright but that's cos we've always looked at the character from the outside. But for shoot em ups, give me first person pers. or give me, quite literally, death.

Even Tomb Raider has an excuse to go outside the head, and we all know what that is. But TR is essentially a platformer for the thinking man/woman.

<end intoxicated rant, must go off now and give out karma indiscriminatly wink.gif>

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Hunter-FLUID

Form what I have played this is a class game......
    Lets hope more games come out Like this one......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, but if you've played First Person Shooters featuring dives etc, you'll see why they opted for the third-person perspective.

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Wowza! This game is frickin fantastic!! I'm never going to get tired of tearing through a room of Wiseguys with duel Ingrams as I float gracefully through the air. biggrin.gif I love the story board style and I think the voice acting is escellent, including the various conversations the bad guys have smile.gif

Get this game, especially if you have a l33t system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Logic1:
    Best game I've ever played in my whole life.</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:
    Wowza! This game is frickin fantastic!! I'm never going to get tired of tearing through a room of Wiseguys with duel Ingrams as I float gracefully through the air. biggrin.gif I love the story board style and I think the voice acting is escellent, including the various conversations the bad guys have smile.gif

Get this game, especially if you have a l33t system.

</font>

Ditto.

Have had to tear myself away to get some sleep. It's got the kind of story that keeps you rivitted, with 'edge of your seat' action biggrin.gif

Liked the little 'john woo' joke smile.gif

And frankie is going down.................

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kix:
    [EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks that Max looks permanently constipated? mad.gif]</font>

Looks a bit like a consipated DeVore wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

http://maxpayne.godgames.com/main.htm
    thought it might make sense to have the Url on this thread...
    PCGamer gave it 95%..
    but im not inclined to trust them after the
    Black & White *blatent overmarking and hype*.
    I'll save my cash until i get the demo ...

PS. Wtf does NYOM mean smile.gif

Optimal (highest graphical detail):
    1000 MHz Intel/AMD Processor (or compatible)
    192 MB RAM
    64 MB Direct3D Compatible Graphics Card

1 ghz ! 192 Ram! 64mb Gfx!

[This message has been edited by OConnor (edited 28-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭pol

Is there not a toggle of TPS to FPS?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I completed it after 2 stints of about 7 hours each, the only reason i took a break was because it was 4am and i had to go sleep smile.gif

The game is fantastic, although having finished it i question its replayability, especially with no multiplayer mode. And whats the story with those dream levels? They are completely pointless, irritating and the game would be much better without them.

A great game the first time around, but i don't think i'll be coming back to it...

[This message has been edited by kaids (edited 28-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OConnor:
    1 ghz ! 192 Ram! 64mb Gfx!

</font>

Weh, I was playing on a p3 450, 128MB, Radeon with high GFX settings running at a fair auld whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I love the voice actors they used for the mafia dudes, bang on, and pretty funny sometimes biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

It is RIDICULOUSLY good.

And it was conceptualised long before the matrix - there was a guy on the quake scene ages ago called MaxPayne.

I have an unuasual urge to say something which may already have been mentioned, and im not entirely sure what it means.

NYOM wink.gif

A

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

hi guys, anyone now if there is a playable demo available for download?
    I see a patch (v1.01) has already been released if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I saw it in action in nethouse - on the same machine's sico was playing on - and it looks bloody gorgeous. I want this game smile.gif

- Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sico:
    Weh, I was playing on a p3 450, 128MB, Radeon with high GFX settings running at a fair auld whack.</font>

I got those specs off the website..
    a mate of mine told me he had a p3 500 , 128 ram with a tnt2 running 14 fps frown.gif
    Is the Radeon a 64 mb card? the gfx card always makes the biggest difference..
    that sounds encouraging though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vacca

it is ridiculously good. the gameplay and graphics are so good, you just can't stop playing it.

only bad point i can think of is I finished it too quickly. there is the hard-boiled version though, should be even better then.

vac

Advertisement